Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
machiavell1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2-UK
Default Gmail problems! Help!

Please Login to Remove!

I've been running 2 gmail accounts through BIS for years now. Now on a Bold 9700 running the latest OS.

They've been working fine until this past week or so (and until the last 2 f/w upgrades, so I don't think this is the issue).

I am now experiencing the following problem with both accounts:

1. Emails that are read on my BB are marked read on the web;
2. Emails that are deleted on my BB remain in the inbox on the web now, whereas previously they would be deleted;
3. Some of the emails are now marked as being in the bin/trash when I actually go into them or go into the trash/bin label itself, but they remain in the inbox too;
3. Clicking on the inbox link does nothing to clear it;
4. Refreshing the entire web-page entirely clears the deleted email from the inbox - this is the same behaviour across 4 different browsers.

I have tried tinkering with the IMAP settings and have switched labs on and off. I have also tried deleting and re-adding the gmail accounts on BIS multiple times.

Anyone have any ideas or any suggestions please? This is all of a sudden, out of the blue and makes no sense. It also pretty much renders Gmail useless to me on the BB as I can't sort through my mail properly without having to re-do it over again.

I have been forced to use the gmail app now as it's the only thing that reconciles my email properly. BB and gmail is beginning to get worse and worse for me. I may be forced to switch to iPhone or Android soon despite the obvious BB advantages.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavell1 View Post
1. Emails that are read on my BB are marked read on the web;
This is normal since BIS 2.8 If remember correctly. Once you re-added your account the new settings of BIS took effect.

Quote:
2. Emails that are deleted on my BB remain in the inbox on the web now, whereas previously they would be deleted;
Check the Synch options for that email account in your BIS Settings make sure you are set to synch deleted items.

Quote:
3. Some of the emails are now marked as being in the bin/trash when I actually go into them or go into the trash/bin label itself, but they remain in the inbox too;
Sounds like a GMail thing check for any rules/GMail Labs stuff.

Quote:
3. Clicking on the inbox link does nothing to clear it;
Sounds like a GMail thing.

Quote:
4. Refreshing the entire web-page entirely clears the deleted email from the inbox - this is the same behaviour across 4 different browsers..
Sounds like a GMail thing, What browser are you using?

Are you talking about Gmail on your computer or Gmail from your BlackBerry? Just to be sure.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
machiavell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
This is normal since BIS 2.8 If remember correctly. Once you re-added your account the new settings of BIS took effect.
That's right - this is expected behaviour and not unusual. If anything, since BIS 3.1 I was expecting a bit more...!

Quote:
Check the Synch options for that email account in your BIS Settings make sure you are set to synch deleted items.
Done - It's set to sync deleted items.

Quote:
Sounds like a GMail thing check for any rules/GMail Labs stuff.
Done that - also disabled/re-enabled labs, and there are no labs in my second gmail account, and the behaviour is identical.

Quote:
Sounds like a GMail thing, What browser are you using?
Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, both on Windows and Mac OSX.

Quote:
Are you talking about Gmail on your computer or Gmail from your BlackBerry? Just to be sure.
Gmail on my computer, after a change has been made on the BlackBerry.

I have just tried the same behaviour on my wife's Blackberry 8900 and her gmail - hers works just fine.

This started happening in the last week - completely independently. I am beginning to suspect it is the BlackBerry itself. Emails deleted from my iPod Touch, for example, delete just fine on the web Gmail.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Gmail on my computer, after a change has been made on the BlackBerry.

I have just tried the same behaviour on my wife's Blackberry 8900 and her gmail - hers works just fine.l.
I honestly can't see how your BlackBerry would effect how GMail works on your computer, especially with the refresh issue. Maybe re-install the GMail plugin on your BlackBerry?

Quote:
This started happening in the last week - completely independently. I am beginning to suspect it is the BlackBerry itself. Emails deleted from my iPod Touch, for example, delete just fine on the web Gmail.
Now that deleted items are set to be synched you should be ok with the deletion issue.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
machiavell1

Quote:
I honestly can't see how your BlackBerry would effect how GMail works on your computer, especially with the refresh issue. Maybe re-install the GMail plugin on your BlackBerry?

Now that deleted items are set to be synched you should be ok with the deletion issue.
I know! It has me flummoxed too. It's really really odd. The delete-sync option has been checked for ages - so it's not that.

I will see if I can reinstall the plug in. Or delete it would be better - Always thought the so called enhanced plug in was rubbish....!

Evidently, the BlackBerry is not communicating the correct signal to Gmail on the system or Gmail is misinterpreting it, hence why it is keeping it effectively labelled "Inbox" and "trash" simultaneously. Then purges on a full refresh.

Last edited by machiavell1; 05-29-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

might help with the Gmail setup.

View Document
Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
machiavell1

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nothing seems to have worked so far - I even changed BlackBerrys to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

The behaviour remains the same - when I delete on the BB, it takes a full screen refresh to remove the deleted messages from my inbox - they sit on the screen in the inbox and also in the trash simultaneously. Changing the IMAP rules seems to do nothing.

Also, I noticed that any emails deleted on my BB show up as still there on my iPod Touch using exchange, even after they've disappeared from the main gmail screen - I suspect because they appear in the trash label with an "inbox" marker still on them.

I haven't touched anything on gmail in the last 10 days so not sure why this has suddenly started happening - and also why more people aren't reporting the same behaviour.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
Jarrett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Were you ever able to resolve this?

I'm still having some of the same problems... (Mine started the same time you posted this.)

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
machiavell1

No. This is still ongoing. I've just learned to live with it in the hope it will get sorted in future upgrades to either BIS or gmail. It's very furstrating.

I have found however that a full refresh of the inbox/page clears the read/deleted emails out but if you look in your trash, you'll see that they've still got the 'inbox' label on them.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
jonespr1

Model: 8120
Carrier: Orange

Got the same issue, very frustrating :(
Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
rbrooks86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Two things I dont think I read on here. Have you tried a battery pull? and have you tried resending your service books?

I would try both of those things.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
machiavell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrooks86 View Post
Two things I dont think I read on here. Have you tried a battery pull? and have you tried resending your service books?

I would try both of those things.
Yes and yes - neither worked sadly.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
cooliosam

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Just experienced this too.

Testing emails for the past 2 days, I've seen the "trash" and "inbox" label appear on almost all my deleted items.

I just updated my Bold 9000 from OS 4.6 to OS 5.0. Don't remember seeing this on 4.6. So...maybe it's a 5.0 problem?

But like some other people said, maybe it's a gmail problem...

***EDIT***
machiavell1---I just saw on your profile that you are using 4.6. Is that correct? Then if so, it is NOT an OS problem. Probably a gmail problem then..

Last edited by cooliosam; 08-26-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
machiavell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliosam View Post
Just experienced this too.

Testing emails for the past 2 days, I've seen the "trash" and "inbox" label appear on almost all my deleted items.

I just updated my Bold 9000 from OS 4.6 to OS 5.0. Don't remember seeing this on 4.6. So...maybe it's a 5.0 problem?

But like some other people said, maybe it's a gmail problem...

***EDIT***
machiavell1---I just saw on your profile that you are using 4.6. Is that correct? Then if so, it is NOT an OS problem. Probably a gmail problem then..
No - that's out of date. I am on the latest version of OS5 for my Bold 9700. And I was on OS5 when it started happening (albeit on a different version).

It's incredibly irritating - basically gmail reconciliation is utterly useless now. The only thing that works is read reconciliation which is pretty pointless - I still have to mark all my items read on the handset if I read them on the web, and delete no longer works properly! In order to clear the inbox I have to do a full refresh. And even then, the "inbox" label remains.

If it wasn't for the fact that Apple's Exchange support is so laughable (and Apple doesn't appear to have any interest in supporting proper exchange protocols), I would've dropped my beloved BB by now as it's not as convenient for messaging as it used to be. I have been hoping that the Gmail situation would be resolved soon but it looks like RIM or Google are taking steps backwards rather than forward on this.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
cooliosam

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

darn. That is unfortunate...Now I'm wondering if I should switch back to 4.6. I could've sworn I didn't notice this until just 2 days ago--the exact time I switched to 5.0.

It always seems like when a company fixes something, they break something else, huh?
Closed Thread