BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Don't waste your money (the way I just did)

Please Login to Remove!

Just got two medical apps that are so poorly designed, the developers should hang their heads in shame. "Taber's Medical Dictionary" for the Blackberry (purchased from Unbound Medicine) and "Human Anatomy and Physiology Quick Study Guide" for BB from MobileReference have illustrations (critical to the study of the subject) that are simply too small to be read (look like tiny postage stamps). Neither app has a zoom function to adjust the size; neither app lets you adjust the size of the font either. These are essentially books that have been repackaged to the BB platform and poorly designed for that platform. When I complained to Unbound Medicine, they told me "the publisher" was responsible. Customer support at its finest. Don't waste your money and you won't have to waste time writing warnings and complaints such as this.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default Turns out, unbound Medicine is a good company after all

I'd posted the below a week or so ago, and Joe Rabena of unbound Medicine saw it and wrote to me.

Here's what he said:

"I am writing on behalf of Unbound Medicine in regards to your most recent post on the BlackBerry forum. We do pride ourselves when it comes to delivering the best possible customer service, and certainly do not want any of our customers to feel as if they have thrown away money. The issues you have pointed out with our software on the Blackberry are most definitely true. Unfortunately, some of the images we have available are not as detailed as we would like. Also, in this case, the BlackBerry web browser on devices using any operating system prior to the latest 5.0 does not include a zoom feature. Thus images can certainly be hard to read.

"Now, for the good news. The BlackBerry Bold 9700 can be upgraded to the latest 5.0 operating system. Unbound Medicine will also be offering a version of the software that takes full advantage of the new 5.0 operating system features, which would certainly make your user experience much better. I would be happy to make this version available to you prior to if official release. I expect to have this version available for you to use in the next week. We hope that after you have a chance to use the software it would change your original opinion and perhaps change your BlackBerry forum post. Please feel free to reply to this message, or contact me directly via phone."

In a reply I said:

Thank you for your note, Mr. Rabena. A few problems with your suggestion: I have a 9000, not a 9700. Though other carriers have made the 5.0 opsys available to their subscribers, AT&T has not, and even though you can download 5.0 from those providers to the 9000, there are various compatibility problems. I did not upgrade to the latest of 4.6 until AT&T released their version, which had been thoroughly beta tested for my device and carrier. I'm not criticizing your marketing and distribution, but it would have been a lot friendlier to the consumer if you'd make it clear that 4.6 and the current iteration of Tabers had a few shortcomings: legibility and customization among them. I'm a professional writer and have three dictionaries on my device, all of which were adapted to the current OS so basic functions such as a zoom worked. Again, I appreciate your offer, but if your improvements only apply to 5.0, then you've, in effect, made my device a legacy, at least in terms of using Tabers. Again thank you for your offer, but until AT&T mounts its version of 5.0,. I won't be able to take advantage of it."

He answered:

"We do appreciate your feedback. I have gone ahead and issued a refund for your most recent purchase. We will be leaving your account active should you decide to upgrade to the 5.0 operating system once available through AT&T. Also if any changes are made for the current operating system we would be happy to notify you."

Now that's what I call good customer service. Soon as AT&T release 5.0, I'll re-purchase the revised Tabers dictionary. All's well that ends well, thanks to Mr. Rabena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman View Post
Just got two medical apps that are so poorly designed, the developers should hang their heads in shame. "Taber's Medical Dictionary" for the Blackberry (purchased from Unbound Medicine) and "Human Anatomy and Physiology Quick Study Guide" for BB from MobileReference have illustrations (critical to the study of the subject) that are simply too small to be read (look like tiny postage stamps). Neither app has a zoom function to adjust the size; neither app lets you adjust the size of the font either. These are essentially books that have been repackaged to the BB platform and poorly designed for that platform. When I complained to Unbound Medicine, they told me "the publisher" was responsible. Customer support at its finest. Don't waste your money and you won't have to waste time writing warnings and complaints such as this.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not associated with anybody remotely connected to this whole matter, but I wanted to say that it was good of you to post their response to you.
Closed Thread