Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular
Default Read status sync issue

Please Login to Remove!

I've been having an issue with read status not updating on my bb. Hours will go by and emails I've read on my pc still don't show as read on my bb. If I manually go to options >> reconcile now the status will update.

BES v5 SP2
Lutus 8.5 FP3

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bueller?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
jjbova
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Mine's always been like that. It will only be select messages. If I reply to them on my outlook they show up as read, but if I just read them in my outlook, about 75% of the time they won't show up as read on my BB.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
raindownsugar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

This behavior can occur if your mailbox structure is out of wack. We see this with users who have moved their mailbox/inbox down into a cabinet folder in GroupWise or if IMAP sessions have corrupted their folder structure.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Inbox hasn't changed. I have no clue what's causing it, but it's quite annoying.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke03 View Post
Inbox hasn't changed. I have no clue what's causing it, but it's quite annoying.
Why annoying? You are just being too impatient. Read/unread marks reconcilation is a low-prioriy task for BES Domino's messaging agent (MAGT). It's top priority is message redirection followed by deletion and other synchronization task such as OTAFM (Folder Managements) etc. If you have a powerful machine hosting the BES Domino server and if you also have good users that regularly maintain their mail files (i.e. not having a huge ones), and finally you perform your due diligence to run Domino maintenance on their mailf files (fixup, compact and updall), then chances are the read/unread marks will sync just fine for you.

Do note that there are 2 timers for these marks. I have shared this knowledge in this forum before in this below thread. Please take a look to understand how it works.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...le-timers.html

RIM provides Reconcile Now in the handheld's Messages application for you to initiate the reconcile from the device as and when you desire. Having a user initiates a reconcilation is less resource intensive rather than having the BES does this work for all other all the time. Make sense?

Anyway, to me and my users this is not a major problem as long as Reconcile Now works. Hope this helps clarify your "false-positive" annoyance.

Last edited by noname; 08-20-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Why annoying? You are just being too impatient. Read/unread marks reconcilation is a low-prioriy task for BES Domino's messaging agent (MAGT). It's top priority is message redirection followed by deletion and other synchronization task such as OTAFM (Folder Managements) etc. If you have a powerful machine hosting the BES Domino server and if you also have good users that regularly maintain their mail files (i.e. not having a huge ones), and finally you perform your due diligence to run Domino maintenance on their mailf files (fixup, compact and updall), then chances are the read/unread marks will sync just fine for you.

Do note that there are 2 timers for these marks. I have shared this knowledge in this forum before in this below thread. Please take a look to understand how it works.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...le-timers.html

RIM provides Reconcile Now in the handheld's Messages application for you to initiate the reconcile from the device as and when you desire. Having a user initiates a reconcilation is less resource intensive rather than having the BES does this work for all other all the time. Make sense?

Anyway, to me and my users this is not a major problem as long as Reconcile Now works. Hope this helps clarify your "false-positive" annoyance.
Why annoying? If you read my first post, I'm talking about hours not a few minutes. It's not every email either. I've seen as long a 6-7 hour delay. Nothing "false positive" about it. We also pay a premium price for BES, I should not have to press reconcile now. Everything was fine a few months ago and it's not a issue will all users.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

Well, "Reconcile Now" works, right? Even if you paid premium price for BES, but if you have an over loaded BES and large base of large mail files etc, auto-reconcilation will be affected by these factors. If you are seeing a pattern that users from a particular mail server is facing this problem, give you some suggestions - you may like to housekeep those BES users with large mail files and perform Domino maintenace on them (KB02207).
Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Well, "Reconcile Now" works, right? Even if you paid premium price for BES, but if you have an over loaded BES and large base of large mail files etc, auto-reconcilation will be affected by these factors. If you are seeing a pattern that users from a particular mail server is facing this problem, give you some suggestions - you may like to housekeep those BES users with large mail files and perform Domino maintenace on them (KB02207).
We do and have always done regular domino maintenance.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
noname

Guess you are not aware of these... try them.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...lays-help.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...onizatoin.html
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
tsduke03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Both those reference SP1. Our BES is on SP2.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #12
noname

Ah! You have not read the release notes for SP2, still a known issue.

<snip>
Listed in release note:

In an environment that includes Lotus Domino 8, in some rare circumstances, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent delays synchronizing the read status of an email message to a BlackBerry device. (DT 400937)

Workaround: In the Windows® registry, set the PollByMailServer key to 0.
</snip>

BlackBerry Messaging Agent known issues - Release Notes - BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino - 5.0.2

Also updated my other thread to reflect it.