BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Marc_G
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT--Stick with us and nobody gets hurt
Default Personal eMail app alternatives (security policy)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an alternative email app to run that will let me do personal emails.

My company gave me a new blackberry Bold 9700, replacing an 8820. Initially I set it up with my two personal email accounts using the standard blackberry personal email setup function. All was well, and I got my two new mailbox icons and could send/receive personal email, selecting which would be the "from" address when I sent messages.

Then my company got around to activating it on their BES and pushing through a security policy. After the requisite reboot, my two personal email folders disappeared, and composing emails gives no option to select the From address. Messages to the two personal email addresses are still received by the unit.

I tried plan B: the Gmail mobile App. But it gives the infamous "This application requires a working data connection" error. My data connection is fine; internet browsers work and google maps works fine. So they must have locked the Gmail app out specifically.

So what's plan C? I'm looking for an email app that can handle my gmail accounts and act much like the built in personal email system is supposed to work when not blocked by IT policy. Is there such an app? If not, my alternative is to buy my own cell phone and carry two devices...$$ and yuck!

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Personal eMail app alternatives (security policy)

Your running into the old thing called "IT Policy" It will prevent you from doing just about anything your company does not allow. It might be that the enterprise activation simply cleared the added emails. Try logging into the BIS site for your carrier and resend the service books. If that does not work then a call to the IT admin may help. Ask if this is a restriction . If it is ask if they will allow your emails to be added. Generally if they are really paranoid they will say no because they cannot see your personal emails and some IT groups don’t like that due to corporate policies or code of conduct.

Last edited by tsac; 01-20-2011 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Marc_G

Thanks for the quick answer.

Basically, I work for a company whose IT policies are intended to be restrictive but in practice are somewhat arbitrary and capricious.

I tried resending the service books via the option (I forget exactly where it was), and that completed successfully but did not restore the folders or functionality.

The funny thing is that I can still add more personal email accounts; they all "activate" just fine and receive messages on the device, but still no dedicated folders and no way to select which account to use when sending email (always uses the "Desktop" coporate account).

The net result is that I can receive personal email just fine but if I reply to it, the reply will be from the corporate account which actually significantly increases the "exposure" of my company compared to if they had done nothing at all.

Anyway, I'd like to try another email app if such exists to see if that would work... could be they nixed GMail specifically (when I'm at our company location, I can't access gmail on my computer either).

Are there any apps that might work?

Marc

Edit: Calling IT won't help. It's a big company, and they do what they do without much interest in end users like me. I will report the issue, but I have no hope of them changing anything.
I've no intention of hacking anything but I'm looking for a solution that will work within the flexibility that they have left me. They haven't disabled my ability to load apps. Maybe one will do what I need...

Last edited by Marc_G; 01-20-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Are you sure the message icons are not in another folder or hidden after the enterprise activation?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Marc_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Are you sure the message icons are not in another folder or hidden after the enterprise activation?
Yup. Looked everywhere. Also, that option to select the "from" address is gone too... so I'm pretty sure it's a policy thing.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

sounds like it. If they restrict the adding of emails I would bet they will also restrict you from adding any third party applications. my company does.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Marc_G

No, actually I can add applications. So, if I can find an email app, it would quite possibly work.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
No, actually I can add applications. So, if I can find an email app, it would quite possibly work.
I'm unaware of any email apps. But, if you're receuving them just fine, just use the browser to go to m.gmail.com and reply to the emails there.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Here's a website that lists 5 email clients with links - from a post on this site, actually.

http://www.berryreview.com/2007/10/30/faq-alternative-3rd-party-email-applications-for-blackberry/

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Marc_G

Sigh. The m.google.com page is blocked by my company on the device, the Consilient offering mentioned in the article seems defunct, Yahoo Go! seems to have disappeared and probably wouldn't have been compatible with my Gmail accounts, and the one other one mentioned doesn't do what I want (it's not a constant notifier of new emails, and beta anyway...).

That page was 3.5 years old; if anyone else knows of an app please let me know. I'll continue to search around...

Marc
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747

I think many of us can relate to your dislike of carrying two devices, but still do it because we value our jobs and privacy.

You do realize that if you put this app on your phone to read personal email, the BES admins will likely have access to it's contents?

Not trying to preach... Just saying
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Yea, you're definitely being blocked by an IT Policy. That's how our policy is set up - you can set up your BIS email and receive email to that account, but all outgoing email from a BB is forced to go thru the company account.

I would also toss in my 2 cents for getting your own personal device. I carry a personal device (and I'm the BES admin that set up the above mentioned policy) because I don't want any of my personal data or applications on a company phone.

Not to mention if by some chance I leave the company, I don't want to give a flying flip if I can't take my number with me because I'd been giving it out for personal reasons (kids' school, doctors, etc). I can't tell you the number of times people have left our company (for whatever reason) and begged to take their number with them for that very reason.

Don't mean to come off preachy....just tossing my 2 cents in.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Nazir92

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

HI

I have a Bold 9000 and when i purchased it i set up and email everything was great. Went to the UK got a line BBM service everything works fine. Now went bak home for holidays activated bbm from there and my emails stop delivering. Came bak to the UK and it still doesnt work. Everytime i want to set up and email they ask me to move my old email which requires me to put my password, i put my password and it keeps ons saying password incorrect, password incorrect and its realllyy annoying!
tries rebooting my device a couple of times thinking it might go, but noo way!

So anyone got a solution? tried to restore my phone to factory settings but the application doesnt work on a 64-bit PC

thanks
Closed Thread