BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO
Default Restoring BB while traveling - Any suggestions?

Please Login to Remove!

I plan on traveling abroad for several months, and will be taking my personal blackberry (7100t) with me.

2 questions:
1. Short of my phone being destroyed or lost, is there any way it would lose all my data?

2. In the event it is destroyed/lost, I will purchase another BB, but will need to restore my data to it. The only solution I can think of is to carry both the BB software cd and a data backup cd with me, and hope that I can find someone with a computer that will let me install the software and do a restore.

Any other solutions you can think of? For what its worth and if it helps, I will be using GoToMyPC software while abroad (in case I need to access my home computer while abroad).

On a side note, for those considering taking their T-Mobile BB abroad (since many are quad-band), here are some tips:

1. Add "Worldclass" to your TMO service (costs nothing, but enables you to make calls abroad)

2. Add on unlimited international email for $20 (if you need this); you can remove this when you're back

3. Ask TMO for instructions to unlock your BB. Costs nothing, and will give you the flexibility of popping in pre-paid sim cards to make local calls while abroad, rather than paying international roaming rates with your TMO sim card
Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
salsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

1. Type the password wrong ten times or wipe handheld from the options > security menu but assuming your not purposely trying to lose the data, no.

2. What kind of data backup CD are you using? Is this where you did a full backup in desktop manager and then put the file on the CD? If so, there is not much else you can do other than make sure you get the same model of BB that you previously had to eliminate any issues with the restore process.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

Yes, a full backup using the "Backup and Restore" function in the BB Desktop Manager; then putting that file on a cd.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
jomalley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I don't know if this will work abroad, but how about using one of the BES hosting firms, so that your email, contacts, calendar, and tasks are synched all the time.

I also don't know how well these firms work if you have to transfer to a new BB; I'm just throwing this out as another option that might meet your needs.

Joe