KayNoire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I need help with switching devices

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone!

I have the BlackBerry Torch 9800 but have had problems with it the last two weeks. After contacting my service provider they said my device seems to be faulty and that they will be sending me a new one. Now I already have been using the BB for over a year and naturally want to transfer all my data onto the new phone. I have the BlackBerry Desktop software and I know that there's the option 'Switching Devices': however for that to function correctly I have to plug in my current BB, transfer everything (including third-party apps) and then connect my new BB and the software will transfer everything to the new BB...the problem is that I can't do that.

I can't do that, because my service provider said that the devices will be exchanged 'at the door' - meaning the new one will be delivered to me (by a delivery service) and I have to immediately hand out my old device, which will be brought back to my service provider. So I won't be able to say "Oh wait, before you take my old BB with you, I first have to use the 'switching devices' tool".

So. My question is the following:
What is the best way for me to now already move everything from my current BlackBerry to my computer and what is the easiest way for me to transfer everything to the new BlackBerry? (I'm talking about everything really. Contacts, e-mails, photos, videos, applications etc)
Because I thought that if I just click 'back-up' then all media isn't backed up, because there's a special media section within the Desktop software where I can transfer all my photos, videos etc. Hence (I assume) all third-party applications will not be transferred if I just click 'back-up', either, right?

...or is that not possible? Do I have to re-install all the applications and move all the media etc manually?

I hope my problem was clear
Thanks for any help =)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: I need help with switching devices

Run a full backup. If your BlackBerry has built in memory for media, there is an option in the desktop software to backup the built in media storage. But you must check the box. The default is not checked. If you do that, all data, including everything in the additional onboard memory will be backed up.

Apps you've downloaded from appworld can be downloaded again on the new device, provided they are supported on the new device.

There are workarounds for backing up other third party apps you acquired from other sources. See blackberryfaq.com. Scroll down to the Applications and Operating System FAQ's section.

A final note. I don't know if things have changed, but when the 9900's first came out it was advisable to not use the switch device wizard when upgrading to the 7.0 devices. You are probably better off if you are getting a OS 7 device by not using the wizard anyway.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 10-30-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
KayNoire

Thanks so much, I will try it out =)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
KayNoire

Okay, sorry for the double-post, but I just tried out your suggestion (went to the blackberryfaq site and to the 'How do I back-up third party applications?' [okay for some reason I am not allowed to direct-link to that page because I have under 15 posts?]) and I have encountered a problem.

I can't select 6- Select USB: Your Pin, it just backs-up my third-party applications without me being able to enter any pin. Hence, I have a problem once I arrive at step 10 and 11:
10- When it’s finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click “Next” or “Cancel.” Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.

11- Search your computer files/folders for a folder labeled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system files.

Because I could not enter a pin I had no influence onto what that folder's name is. And since I have no idea what the folder might be named to which my apps have been backed up to, I am not quite sure where to look. I saw the 'example location' in the FAQ and tried to look in that direction, but couldn't find it.
So any ideas where the Desktop Software might put that back-up and how it might be named?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

You don't enter your PIN at that point. It automatically records it.

As the instructions dictate, look on your computer for the file named with the PIN of your current BlackBerry device.

Search the WHOLE COMPUTER for that PIN number. Make sure that you are searching hidden files and folders.
Closed Thread