Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Trixie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T
Default Newbie questions

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my first BB, a 7290, and have been hurting my head the past few days figuring stuff out. I think it will be cool once I get over the labor pains.

I've spent a ton of time reading and researching these forums (starting before I even got the thing), and there are still a few questions I'm confused on.

I have T-Mobile service, and subscribe to the BIS. I have XP at home with Outlook Express (though I'm considering installing Outlook, if it's worthwhile).

Is there any way (with OE or Outlook) to somehow transfer my email folders (or create new ones) to which I can direct my email on my BB?

I've figured out a way to kind of reconcile my emails (by only downloading emails on OE on demand and first deleting them, if I want to, on my BB, then doing a wireless reconciliation with the BB "winning" any conflicts). But I'm famous for doing things the hard way. Is there a better way, easier, more elegant? Would I be any better off, emai-wise, with Outlook? (I'm sure I would be better off with the calendar and other stuff.)

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Trixie
Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Halford1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile

I assume you have the desktop manager already installed.

click on Intellsync

click on Configure PIM

Make sure all the handheld applications are in parralel with MS Outlook If not, then highlight one of applications and press choose button. You click on MS Outlook. do the same with other applications.

then click on Configure button on your bottom left.

Press advanced settings

click on tab "Conflict Resolutions"

You decide... if you checked "Handheld wins" then all the information in your handheld will go to Outlook. If you checked "notify me when conflict occur" you get to choose to accept changes or not. If y ou checked "Ms Outlook wins", that means all info in handheld will be erased and that all info in Outlook will be downloaded to your handheld.

Press "ok" twice

Then press Synchroronize Now

good luck...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Trixie

What I was trying to say is that I DON'T have Outlook at the moment--I have Outlook Express.

I guess my question is, can I do what I am trying to do with OE, or do I need Outlook installed?

For example, I'd like to get my sent messages (sent from the BlackBerry) into my "sent messages" folder on my PC. And to have folders on my BlackBerry that match those on my PC.

Is this doable, and if so, what is involved in doing it?

Trixie
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

www.exchangemymail.com

SERVICE IS GREAT and about 18 a month plus some change. They even give you a copy of outlook. I suggest Dave and EMM for anyone who doesnt have access to exchange or a BES to utilize the full capibilities of everything.

Pin me if you have any questions about EMM.

23C88D24
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Trixie

Default Integrating accounts with TMO, BB, Outlook, and EMM (inelegant, but works for me)

Not everyone will have the same issues or concerns that I have, but I was trying to accomplish specific things with unfamiliar hardware and software. I've only used a desktop with Outlook Express (I have Outlook at work, but barely know my way around it). Never used a Blackberry, only used "wireless" for a cell phone, never had a PDA, never worried about stuff like "Exchange Servers", etc.

I recently bought my first Blackberry (7290) with TMobile service. Originally got the Blackberry Internet Service. I soon realized I really WANTED to have a calendar to carry with me, and be able to update stuff from the Blackberry and have it on my computer. So I signed on with ExchangeMyMail, and upgraded my TMobile service to the "Enterprise".

After hours and HOURS of trying to set things up to happen the way I wanted them to happen, Dave at EMM said it couldn't be done.

He's sorta right, it can't be done the way I'd LIKE it to work, but until somebody comes up with a better way of setting things up, I figured out a workable, if somewhat clumsy, solution. Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is trying to do the same thing.

I have several separate email accounts. In addition to the ones provided by TMobile and EMM, I have my regular email accounts, one from Comcast, and two from Mail.com (all with Pop3 access). Ideally, I would LIKE to be able to receive all my emails at my Blackberry, keep everything I want to keep on the server, have all emails reconciled perfectly. In ADDITION, though, I want to be able to "reply from" the email address to which an incoming email was sent. I use the different emails for various lists and forums to which I post, and I prefer to keep my identity private there (no, I'm NOT a troll, I just wanna be safe from them!). Consequently, if I choose to use my BB to reply to an email, I don't want it saying that it came from some other address. I want it to say it came from the same one to which it was sent.

My TMobile account lets me integrate up to 10 email addresses. With that, I can easily reply to the particular email from the same address to which it is sent. Sounds good. The problem with THAT, though, is that once EMM is factored into the picture and also integrating the email accounts (by using Outlook, which I gotta do if I want it to show up on my Outlook at home), I get duplicate incoming emails.

What I noticed was this. The two incoming emails are different. One says it came in "using" my personal email address (whichever one it was sent to). If I hit "reply" it will go out using that same email address. (This same email does not give you the option to "file" it in any other folder.) The other says it came in using the "Desktop" (my EMM address). For that one, if I hit "reply", it goes out using my EMM address. The virtue it has, though, is that I can "file" that one on the EMM server, in whichever folder I want.

Therefore, I can use the one email for a "reply" and have it come from my personal email, and file the other on the server. Once I've "replied" to the first email, I can delete it and still have a record stored at EMM (and accessible at Outlook).

The VERY last problem was this: I needed to have a record of the "sent email" ("replying to" an email from one of those other accounts didn't save it in my "Sent" folder). SO... I cc myself (at whatever account I'm using to "send"), then set up an email "rule" in Outlook that sends any such emails to my "Sent" folder. Not a perfect solution, as I then get the "cc" email on my BB, too, but it is easily deleted when it comes in.

The bottom line is that I get emails on my BB, can reply to them from the email account to which they are sent, I have a permanent record of the incoming and outgoing emails at Outlook (some on the EMM server, some not).

As I said, not a perfect solution, but it works if you want to use the BB primarily as an interim message service and maintain records of everything sent and received somewhere else.

If I'm missing something obvious, I'd appreciate the input.

And I sure wish somebody would figure out a way to do what I'm trying to do (minus the headaches, lol).
Old 03-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Trixie

Default More tweaking...

K,

I think I finally got this thing set up as perfectly as possible, given my personal priorities.

I finally discovered that TMobile allows you to specify an automatic "bcc" address for each email account. I set that for each account to be for that particular account.

Next, I set a rule in Outlook that sends any emails from myself with my default signature (the "sent from my Blackberry") in the body of the email to my "sent" folder.

I've tested this to the nth degree with my various accounts, and it seems to be working perfectly.

LOL, now what do I do with the REST of my weekend?

Trixie
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
sognonvi

Model: 7290

Hey Just got by BB last month, is their software that can increase the volume, I live in NYC so when I'm in the city it's hard to here anything. Please help
Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
ayvonne19

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default my suggestion

I've read in other threads that some people have drilled additional holes in the hearing part. The only solution that really works of me is using bluetooth headphones.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sognonvi View Post
Hey Just got by BB last month, is their software that can increase the volume, I live in NYC so when I'm in the city it's hard to here anything. Please help
Try posting in a thread specific to your issue or at least related. Hijacking a thread isn't polite but you're also less likely to get help for your issue as people will only read this particular thread due to the subject (which has nothing to do with volume).
Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
If I'm missing something obvious, I'd appreciate the input.

And I sure wish somebody would figure out a way to do what I'm trying to do (minus the headaches, lol).
No -- you've got it. It might have helped to read BlackberryFAQ.com first but it's too late for that. BES does give you the features that you wanted but it does have its caveats. There's currently no good solution for full reconciliation with multiple email accounts as BES is limited to a single mailbox. I'm not sure that full reconciliation on BIS is a priority for RIM since BIS would be fringing on BES turf with that feature but who knows... You can always email [email address] though they never directly reply to suggestions and requests emailed to them.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-25-2007 at 08:55 AM..
Closed Thread