Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #81
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I was dead set against cameras in BBs from my own experiences, then I started to say OK, as long as there is a clear option for the ones that do not want it, but the real issue is that we are not dealing with rocket scientists at these security points, and now as it is BBs are hardly checked because it is know that they do not have the cameras, I am sure though that once they have cameras available that whole matter may and will change for most of us. Now, if RIM does decide to delve into this area which is certainly their right, my suggestion would be for the Camera BlackBerrys to be handled by a separate division of the company and marketed with a completely separate trademark, thus leaving the earned reputation the BlackBerry name has so hard fought to establish and maintain, otherwise in a day all of it is history.
That is not a bad idea at all!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #82
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Ok thats a good one, now for the easy part, try and convince a 5.95/Hr Rent-A-Cop that your Camera in your BlackBerry is disabled, and even if it is and you could prove it that once you are in the building either with a phone call or just a simple server command from outside the camera would be reactivated, good luck on that one.
Good point.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #83
starling72

Smile

[QUOTE=dc/dc]One thing you can be assured of is that no government agency will issue a BlackBerry with a camera to their users, just as they don't issue phones or laptops with cameras to their users.QUOTE]

I have a close relative who has worked for the Feds for 20+ years and, while he agrees that gov't IT often gets it wrong, he doesn't believe they'll ban ALL BlackBerrys from being issued just because ONE model comes with a camera. He's pretty sure (since they apparently don't allow personal devices) that gov't employees will still be issued the model(s) that don't have a camera and all contractors/non-employees will be req'd to check mobile devices at the door, especially in the high-security bldgs.

FWIW, he's been known to be wrong a few times, but generally has a good sense for how his particular agency sets policy on stuff like this.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #84
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
One thing you can be assured of is that no government agency will issue a BlackBerry with a camera to their users, just as they don't issue phones or laptops with cameras to their users.
I have a close relative who has worked for the Feds for 20+ years and, while he agrees that gov't IT often gets it wrong, he doesn't believe they'll ban ALL BlackBerrys from being issued just because ONE model comes with a camera. He's pretty sure (since they apparently don't allow personal devices) that gov't employees will still be issued the model(s) that don't have a camera and all contractors/non-employees will be req'd to check mobile devices at the door, especially in the high-security bldgs.

FWIW, he's been known to be wrong a few times, but generally has a good sense for how his particular agency sets policy on stuff like this.
The post you quoted doesn't dispute that.

Some agencies would issue the devices without cameras, others would not issue any of them.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #85
starling72

His agency typically falls in line with 90% of the others when it comes to setting IT policy, so for anyone to broadly state that a large chunk of agencies would stop issuing ALL BlackBerrys due to a single model with a camera is somewhat misleading. JMHO, don't take offense...you're entitled to yours, too!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #86
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling72
His agency typically falls in line with 90% of the others when it comes to setting IT policy, so for anyone to broadly state that a large chunk of agencies would stop issuing ALL BlackBerrys due to a single model with a camera is somewhat misleading. JMHO, don't take offense...you're entitled to yours, too!
I didn't take offence.

However, the post you quoted DID NOT state that a large chunk of agencies would stop issuing BlackBerries if there was one with a camera. Yes, it was stated earlier, but I backed away from that stance a little bit. In addition, the agency I am using reference, the US Dept. of State, is larger than 90% of the other gov't agencies, and they almost certainly would stop issuing BlackBerries. Heck, they even disable Bluetooth in the ones they issue now, and you can't do anything with that other than use a headset!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #87
SMorganPhoto

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

If it has a camera, maybe RIM should add the ability to disable it via IT Policy.

Argument done with, I win.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #88
SMorganPhoto

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A

Ok so someone posted my idea already.

We have security oficers that roam our building. We can have personal phones, as long as they do not have cameras or wifi. And we can have the ones with cameras, as long as they are turned off inside the rooms.

We have security officers that walk the building and will nab up your phone with a camera if they see it turned on and outside of your pocket.

In our case, personal Blackberries would fall under the personal phone rules, and network Blackberries would of course have the IT Policy set to disable the camera.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #89
starling72

I know, and it's sad that they would (and likely will) ban them when there are a couple of ways (physical security and BES IT policies) to mitigate it without having to spend the time and money to rip and replace. Typical Fed Gov't, though...I agree with that!

I like the idea of RIM branding their camera devices competely differently than their other devices...that would make our lives easier. My company doesn't allow camera-enabled devices in certain areas, either (financial services), and this is bound to be a big issue for us if it is in fact true.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #90
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

The obvious target with a camera device is teenagers, so they'll need to come up with a cutesy new brand name to compete with hiptop since kids associate BlackBerry with stodgy old men.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #91
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Remember the StrawBerry Shortcake dolls, How about the new line called StrawBerrys, it keeps in line with the Berry theme, hahahaha.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #92
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

I highly doubt there will be a different name for the rumored camera blackberry. RIM has built up the name BlackBerry so well that it is a household brand now, there is no reason to confuse potential consumers with a new name, I will bet anyone it will be a BlackBerry xxxx

The Boy Genius Report
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #93
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Remember the StrawBerry Shortcake dolls, How about the new line called StrawBerrys, it keeps in line with the Berry theme, hahahaha.
LOL!!

They need a totally separate brand from RIM to sell them under...

How about DICKS (Devices in Connected Kids Shoes)?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #94
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default StrawBerry - Interesting Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
LOL!!

They need a totally separate brand from RIM to sell them under...

How about DICKS (Devices in Connected Kids Shoes)?
LMAO! nice abbreviation.

I'm actually surprised that RIM didnt make a limited edition 8700 called a StrawBerry (RIM didnt begin the Blackberry knickname it was a reporter that noticed the keys resembled the fruit; RIM was smart enough to patent the brand & release a model shortly after). All in hot pink (just like the Razr, but for grown up girls/women) and a theme to match!

I'm sure there are a lot of professional women that loose their sense of femininity dressing up in suits all week that they can only accessories via boots, the odd skirt (business acceptable), lipstick, earings, and a purse. Not all professional women can goto work dressed like Pamela Anderson did at the Juno Awards.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #95
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

BG,

As the rumor for integrated camera seems to be coming to fruition, there was some speculation (2 months ago?) about blackberry coming out with a consumer based device that would be a variant of the blackberry brand. Blackberry would still be the main manufacture but the product itself would have a different brand.

This was coupled with the statement that this device would have removable mem with video viewing capabilities, etc. I believe it was posted on BB Cool?

Any validity in regards the speculations per your eyes and ears?

Regards,
dolo
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #96
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
LMAO! nice abbreviation.

I'm actually surprised that RIM didnt make a limited edition 8700 called a StrawBerry (RIM didnt begin the Blackberry knickname it was a reporter that noticed the keys resembled the fruit; RIM was smart enough to patent the brand & release a model shortly after). All in hot pink (just like the Razr, but for grown up girls/women) and a theme to match!

I'm sure there are a lot of professional women that loose their sense of femininity dressing up in suits all week that they can only accessories via boots, the odd skirt (business acceptable), lipstick, earings, and a purse. Not all professional women can goto work dressed like Pamela Anderson did at the Juno Awards.
Problem is, many women think a girly device is unprofessional. I don't think that argument holds water, but there is no convincing them otherwise.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #97
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

From Gizmodo.com:

Rumor: Verizon Asking for Changes in Motorola Q
READ MORE: Motorola, Motorola Q, Rumors, Smartphones
News continues to trickle out about the delayed release of the Motorola Q, where we told you earlier about its late arrival, and now a source within Verizon reveals a little more. The source said Verizon, which will be the first provider to ship the Motorola Q, wants a few changes in the upcoming slim smartphone, such as bigger keys and changes in the way the keys interact with its operating system.

There is also bad news for users who might want to download gigabytes worth of data onto the Q, where the source said those users will be throttled. That will surely disappoint those who planned to use such applications as the Slingbox Sling Player Mobile with the Q.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #98
Jaguarandine
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Going OT again, I think there is no way RIM would risk its business with the government without taking the proper precautions. I'm sure they've already spoken to people in the gov't about their plans and have addressed the concerns that were expressed. For them to do otherwise would just be bad business.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #99
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

A client of mine has been using SlingPlayer Mobile for smartphone (beta) on his Q on Verizon and it works flawlessly. Also Verizon will NOT be limiting any type of data usage on the Q it is a normal PDA plan just like for the treo700 44.95 unlimited a month I believe. I highly doubt they are going to redo hardware on the Q after all it is not like Verizon just got it for the first time now, they have been working hands on with Motorola since the beginning.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #100
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Boy...
I only posted the news after seeing it on 2 respected websites. I am assuming you are correct, however we can not overlook that where there is smoke ther is usually fire. I personally think if this is the reason for the delat, it bodes extremely well for RIM who has been getting beat up in the press lately. Stories about losing market share bla, bla, bla... With this delay RIM has a chance to gain just that many more people who may have been waiting for the Q and are just a bit tired of waiting. Who knows..

I conceed you know volumns more than I do, this is merely my $0.02. This is a Blackberry site so all I have to say is 8700 on T-Mobile very soon.

Last edited by blkberryboy; 04-06-2006 at 02:27 PM..
Closed Thread