Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
barry253

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default understanding email reconcilliation

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All -

Just got an 8700c, and I'm trying to understand how email reconcilliation works. I've set up 2 email accounts through BIS.
My 25mb gets very quickly filled up, so I need to stay on top of deleting emails I don't need. But when I delete from BIS, my emails also disappear from my BlackBerry - not what I want.

I would like to:
- receive emails from BIS
- delete emails ONLY from BIS, and retain them on the BB

I tried to turn off "Wireless Reconcile", but I get an error message: Web Client only supports wireless reconcilliation of deletes.

Please advise - am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks,
--Barry
Old 06-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Yes, you're misunderstanding the basic principal of BIS. But it doesn't matter because the way you understand BIS is about to change. Cingular is about to upgrade their BIS to 2.0 (tomorrow maybe?), at which point you will not have a BIS inbox at all. At that point, BIS will pull e-mail directly from the accounts you have setup in BIS. You won't have to worry about the 25mb inbox limit.

Until then, you can't delete in BIS and expect them to stay on the BB; deleting in BIS causes deletion on handheld.

UPDATE: Here's a strong suggestion. Do not, under any circumstances, use your BIS address as your main e-mail address. Have your other accounts forwarded to your BIS address or have BIS poll your other accounts. You will have nightmares sooner or later if you use your BIS address as your main address and give it out to everyone.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 06-04-2006 at 01:57 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
barry253

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Yes, you're misunderstanding the basic principal of BIS. But it doesn't matter because the way you understand BIS is about to change. Cingular is about to upgrade their BIS to 2.0 (tomorrow maybe?), at which point you will not have a BIS inbox at all. At that point, BIS will pull e-mail directly from the accounts you have setup in BIS. You won't have to worry about the 25mb inbox limit.

Until then, you can't delete in BIS and expect them to stay on the BB; deleting in BIS causes deletion on handheld.
Wow - very interesting news about the limit being removed. In the meantime, what happens if I turn Wireless Reconcilliation to Off, and then Delete On: to Handheld...now it lets me save (after giving me a notice about "disabling redirected folders"). Will this produce the behavior I'm looking for?

Thanks,
--Barry
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

If you turn wireless reconciliation off, there's no wireless reconciliation. So I wouldn't do that. The delete setting on the handheld has to do with what action takes place when you delete from the handheld. You have a choice of On Mailbox & Handheld or On Handheld. Either way, it's deleted off your handheld. That's not what you say you're looking to do. Right?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
barry253

Quote:
If you turn wireless reconciliation off, there's no wireless reconciliation. So I wouldn't do that. The delete setting on the handheld has to do with what action takes place when you delete from the handheld. You have a choice of On Mailbox & Handheld or On Handheld. Either way, it's deleted off your handheld. That's not what you say you're looking to do. Right?
Right...I still want to receive emails. Just trying to understand why my handheld can't receive messages once my mailbox hit its 25mb limit, especially if I have plenty more space on the handheld. It doesn't make sense to me in terms of organization and usage of my own memory on the handheld, and I thought deleting messages from BIS exclusively might have been the answer.

--Barry
Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry253
Right...I still want to receive emails. Just trying to understand why my handheld can't receive messages once my mailbox hit its 25mb limit, especially if I have plenty more space on the handheld. It doesn't make sense to me in terms of organization and usage of my own memory on the handheld, and I thought deleting messages from BIS exclusively might have been the answer.

--Barry
It's like any other e-mail account. Once your inbox is full, they stop delivering e-mail to you. It either gets tossed or bounced back to the sender. But again, if I remember correctly, that's changing for you tomorrow I believe. You can call Cingular's customer service and verify that. Hopefully you'll get someone who knows.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
barry253

Quote:
It's like any other e-mail account. Once your inbox is full, they stop delivering e-mail to you. It either gets tossed or bounced back to the sender. But again, if I remember correctly, that's changing for you tomorrow I believe. You can call Cingular's customer service and verify that. Hopefully you'll get someone who knows.
Yes, but on any other email account, when I download my email from the POP3 server, I can remove them from the server and still keep them on my computer.

--Barry
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Ahh, that's where you're going astray. Cingular's current BIS isn't a POP3 server. It's proprietary to RIM, specifically for reconciling with the BB. What happens on one happens on the other (for the most part).

In that regard, it's closer to an IMAP server. If you delete a message from an IMAP account in Outlook (for example) it gets deleted from the server. And if you delete it from the server from a web interface, it gets deleted from Outlook.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
barry253

Got it - thanks for your help!
--Barry
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #10
luciodirosa

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Nokia E61 BIS reconcilliation - deletions do not happen

Hi all....i have the opposite problem...i have a nokia E61 that works as a BB.....but when i delete emails on my handheld it does not do so on the server BIS....

All commands are on Wireless reconcilliation, delete on phone and server...delete also is on....

Cannot understand why.....Vodafone Italy customer supports sucks....none even knew that a nokia E61 can work as a BB...

can someone help?

thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry253
Hi All -

Just got an 8700c, and I'm trying to understand how email reconcilliation works. I've set up 2 email accounts through BIS.
My 25mb gets very quickly filled up, so I need to stay on top of deleting emails I don't need. But when I delete from BIS, my emails also disappear from my BlackBerry - not what I want.

I would like to:
- receive emails from BIS
- delete emails ONLY from BIS, and retain them on the BB

I tried to turn off "Wireless Reconcile", but I get an error message: Web Client only supports wireless reconcilliation of deletes.

Please advise - am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks,
--Barry
Old 08-14-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
castanea

Model: e61

Hi

I Have a Naokia 61 on which I installed BB

It can send messages but messages cannot be received in BB.

I have no problem with the pop3 connection I have which sends and receive without any problems.

Does anyone know the reason why the meails are not received on the bb inbox although the server states that the messages have actually been received by the E61!

Any hep to resolve this problem will be appreciated

Thanks
Closed Thread