BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Has Cingular given up on the 8700?

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering since the new 7130 has an updated OS with Zen and other enhancements/fixes yet it has been 6+ months and no official update for the 8700. I have not updated to Bharti, Telstra or others as they are not official and all other major providers that carry the 8700 have updated once or twice. I know I am not the only one who has asked or cares, but every day I read about the new OS for the 7130, I just feel like they will never release a new OS. Cingular says it is not them - it is all depending on when RIM releases a new OS. Uh - what?

Anyone who works for Cingular or is int he know - will we EVER see a new OS on the 8700 or have they moved on to a newer device and all of us are in the dark ages?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got the impression today, that an upgraded OS is coming for the 8700... how far away I don't know.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustonuser
Just wondering since the new 7130 has an updated OS with Zen and other enhancements/fixes yet it has been 6+ months and no official update for the 8700. I have not updated to Bharti, Telstra or others as they are not official and all other major providers that carry the 8700 have updated once or twice. I know I am not the only one who has asked or cares, but every day I read about the new OS for the 7130, I just feel like they will never release a new OS. Cingular says it is not them - it is all depending on when RIM releases a new OS. Uh - what?

Anyone who works for Cingular or is int he know - will we EVER see a new OS on the 8700 or have they moved on to a newer device and all of us are in the dark ages?
Not sure what you mean about it (meaning Bharti, Telstra, etc) "not being official". They are offical RIM OS releases. Just because Cingular hasn't "officially released" it by putting it on their website for download, which is bascially all an "official" release is, doesn't mean much.

Also, "all other major providers" have done little. Tmo, Rogers, O2...I believe they're all on the same 8700 OS that they started with.

Why not just update your OS with Bharti, Tmo, Telstra, etc if it's such a big deal to have an updated OS? There's no way you'll tell a difference (except for the improvements). Everything will still be Cingular branded, etc.

Trust me. An "official" release by Cingular isn't going to make them any less ignorant about Blackberry products. They pretty much have that title locked up tight. And I'm a customer, and actually a fan of their products/service. The difference is, I know that if I need help/knowledge regarding my Blackberry, I come here, and don't call them. You've come here, so you're already one step ahead of most BB users/customers.

Last edited by Pizzle; 06-14-2006 at 12:04 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Sophist
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

What exactly are these "enhancements/fixes"? I've read the preliminary reviews slowly being posted on this site and no one seems to have elaborated much other than the "general feel" of the device being sturdier and Suretype being more reliable (which doesn't apply to a comparison with the 8700 and any potential OS update).

Furthermore, I always had the impression that the 8700 series were the "high end" BBs, but now that the 7130c is out the consensus on this board seems to be that the 8700 is now technologicaly inferior in some way. I don't get it....
Old 06-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Quote:

I said the same thing about the 7100 OS upgrade when I got my 7105t 2 months ago. T-Mobile didn't upgrade the 7100 OS until after the 8700g was released. Just gotta be patient I guess.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 06-14-2006 at 12:53 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist
What exactly are these "enhancements/fixes"? I've read the preliminary reviews slowly being posted on this site and no one seems to have elaborated much other than the "general feel" of the device being sturdier and Suretype being more reliable (which doesn't apply to a comparison with the 8700 and any potential OS update).

Furthermore, I always had the impression that the 8700 series were the "high end" BBs, but now that the 7130c is out the consensus on this board seems to be that the 8700 is now technologicaly inferior in some way. I don't get it....
Primary differences to 8700 OS upgrades (over .194) are ringer/speaker volume fixes and bluetooth improvments.

I don't think many would suggest that the 8700 series is even close to inferior. We're just nerds about new tech, so we get excited when the cool new thing hits the market.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
Sophist
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Primary differences to 8700 OS upgrades (over .194) are ringer/speaker volume fixes and bluetooth improvments.

I don't think many would suggest that the 8700 series is even close to inferior. We're just nerds about new tech, so we get excited when the cool new thing hits the market.
Excitement over new toys -- fair enough. I can relate

Perhaps it's because I came to the 8700c from Verizon's iteration of the 7130 and found the former not only much easier to type with but also to read emails on (I don't care for 3-4 words per line, which is about what you get with the 7130e depending on what system font you've chosen). On that basis, the fuss seems to be over the fact that the 7130 is just newer, like you said, and little else (the small enhancements aside).

Might I ask, what was/is wrong with the 8700c's ringer/speaker volume and bluetooth implementation?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

A later release date doesn't always mean that the given Blackberry is a newer model. Some carriers just get short term exclusives on particular new models (TMO got the 7100 when Cingular got the 7290, later they both had both models).

The 8700c has a known issue with the ringer being quiet regardless of the profile setting. I loaded Bharti on my 8700c. There's no reason to not upgrade your OS if the problem really bothers you. My 7290 (originally Cingular) has Vodafone's OS and I've used it with both TMO and Cingular. I've heard of people having problems with OS loads but it's pretty rare and it doesn't seem to matter what OS you're loading so far...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22BFEE32
Carrier: AT&T

Have zero problems with the ringer being loud & no problems with the bluetooth also...
I imagine that if the ringers were like nightclub loud, then complaints would the other way...
Travel Light!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

Cingular, not supporting BB? Lets step back for a minute. Maybe they don't support BB as well as WE want them to, but compared to their peers they're doing just fine. I'm certainly not a Cingular homer, but I moved to them from SPCS because Sprint has trouble even acknowledging that they carry blackberry phones, much less knowing how to support them.

I agree with Pizzle - this is my location for BB support because of this user community. I, too, would like to see an upgraded OS so I can play with Zen without having to go through a complex upgrade to another carrier's OS (I'm pretty locked down by my company's BES), but I can wait for a theme. It will come eventually. In the meantime I have the really cool Wave-Icon, which makes many other users within my company jealous.
Closed Thread