BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
bsimo49

Model: many
Carrier: many
Default Treo to BB. Any 3rd party software out there to show categories

Please Login to Remove!

Any 3rd party software out there to show categories individually?

The user had several contact fields in her outlook and on the Treo had several categories. First in BB addresses from outlook all show up in one huge address book. Seperate contact fields or categories don't show up. When I go into a address and select categories I see them but I can't enter them. I would like to be able to at least show a category then open it up to several contacts. e.g. Doctors searching for this cateory opening it up then having several names with contacts in it. The Treo seems to do this with limited issues. Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

When in the address book on the BB, click the wheel and choose filter. You can select a category to filter by and the Address book will display only users in that category until you go in and change or clear the filter. This is available with verion 4.0 and later.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Filters should be available. I also use filters to browse by tasks list (To-Do) by category.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

If you're feeling generous you could drop a note to [email address] and let them know how your client really feels. ;)
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroc
If you're feeling generous you could drop a note to [email address] and let them know how your client really feels. ;)
---

Why? The solution to the question asked has been answered. It already exists and you can name the filter, save it and assign a shortcut key. What more is needed?

Rcbjr
Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
---

Why? The solution to the question asked has been answered. It already exists and you can name the filter, save it and assign a shortcut key. What more is needed?

Rcbjr
Because it's extremely clunky? The drop-down box interface for categories on the Treo (or any Palm OS device) makes more sense than the multi-select checkbox hell on the BB.

Yes, it's a feature that RIM can list on its datasheet, but the UI for it, for lack of a better phrase, kinda sucks.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
rcbjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy
Because it's extremely clunky? The drop-down box interface for categories on the Treo (or any Palm OS device) makes more sense than the multi-select checkbox hell on the BB.

Yes, it's a feature that RIM can list on its datasheet, but the UI for it, for lack of a better phrase, kinda sucks.
----

Can you select multiple categories for a filter on your treo? If not the you would definately have to have many nore categories to succesfully filter properly.

Rcbjr
Old 06-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #8
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
----

Can you select multiple categories for a filter on your treo? If not the you would definately have to have many nore categories to succesfully filter properly.

Rcbjr
Talk about handling a corner case -- in general people use categories to quickly filter down to where they know a contact is. In 99% of the time, you only need to go to one category.

Yes, the BB is ostensibly more "feature rich" here, but in terms of usability, it falls down completely.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
rcbjr

Quote:
Talk about handling a corner case -- in general people use categories to quickly filter down to where they know a contact is. In 99% of the time, you only need to go to one category.

Yes, the BB is ostensibly more "feature rich" here, but in terms of usability, it falls down completely.
----

What do you mean corner case?

The BB method of implememting categories mimics the Outlook method which is very powerful and efficient. I would be frustrated trying to establish different categoties to cover all the different combinations I use daily. Not necessarily on the BB but in outlook. And I like it that I don't have to learn two methods.

Rcbjr

Helpsig
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
----

What do you mean corner case?

The BB method of implememting categories mimics the Outlook method which is very powerful and efficient. I would be frustrated trying to establish different categoties to cover all the different combinations I use daily. Not necessarily on the BB but in outlook. And I like it that I don't have to learn two methods.

Rcbjr

Helpsig
How often do you really filter with multiple categories on your BB? Just because something is assigned multiple categories doesn't mean that you have to browse it that way.

For Outlook that might be fine, but this is a mobile device where I want to look up something quick, not spend all this time scrolling and changing multiple options. At least on Outlook there is a way to have collapsible sections to browse by category -- that's not possible with a small form factor.

The UI here is clunky. There's no getting around it.

I like my 8700 -- definitely more stable than my old Treo 650 -- but in some areas, you really get the sense that it was designed by an engineer.

No need to get so defensive about it. Unless, of course, you're the one who designed and coded it.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.1.1.9 (aka 4.1 Service Pack 1) which was released within the last month or so has the following in its Readme.txt:
2. NEW FEATURES

- Added data import wizard that imports PIM data from a Palm®/Treo™ device or a Windows Mobile™-based device to a BlackBerry device. Contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and memos can be imported. Note that the BlackBerry Desktop Software must be running on a computer with Windows 2000 or later. For this release, the import functionality is available in the English, French, Italian, German and Spanish Desktop Software installs only.

The import wizard supports the following devices:

Windows Mobile OS-based devices running Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SE, Microsoft Pocket PC 2003, Microsoft Pocket PC 2002, Microsoft Pocket PC 2000, Microsoft SmartPhone 2003 SE, Microsoft SmartPhone 2003, or Microsoft SmartPhone 2002

Palm OS-based devices being used with Palm Desktop 4.0.1, Palm Desktop 4.1, Palm Desktop 4.1.2, Palm Desktop 4.1.4, or Palm Desktop 6.0.1
I haven't had the opportunity to look at it, but it's certainly worth a shot! Go to Software Download Information and click on the word "Download" where it says "Download BlackBerry Desktop Software" and follow the directions to download it.

Let us know if and how it works!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
rcbjr

Quote:
How often do you really filter with multiple categories on your BB? Just because something is assigned multiple categories doesn't mean that you have to browse it that way.

For Outlook that might be fine, but this is a mobile device where I want to look up something quick, not spend all this time scrolling and changing multiple options. At least on Outlook there is a way to have collapsible sections to browse by category -- that's not possible with a small form factor.

The UI here is clunky. There's no getting around it.

I like my 8700 -- definitely more stable than my old Treo 650 -- but in some areas, you really get the sense that it was designed by an engineer.

No need to get so defensive about it. Unless, of course, you're the one who designed and coded it.
---
How often, everytime I use a filter on category, but that's not that often on the BB. I don't send emails to multiple contacts from my BB that often. but when I do, I can use the same procedure I use for Outlook. The reason I don't desire to see the method of Category Filters changed, is I sync with outlook, and any difference would probably mangle the categories for both.

I don't use filters to browse, I use filters to create lists of contacts that match certain criteria I.E. a given set of categories. That way, depending on which categories I select I get different lists, and also a given contact can be in multiple lists.

Now if there were options for how you set up categories I wouldn't have a problem with this. Maybe that's the solution. I may be defensive about this, but it's for a much better reason than you suggested. It's called don't mess with something that works.

Now a solution for you, You might select the top 5 or 10 filters you use most and rename the categories, adding a number before the current Name. That way you'll only have to scroll down a little for most of your filters.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Rcbjr
Old 06-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
---
Now a solution for you, You might select the top 5 or 10 filters you use most and rename the categories, adding a number before the current Name. That way you'll only have to scroll down a little for most of your filters.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Rcbjr
Oh come on now. Are you kidding me? That's a hack...er a "workaround."

(I'm in enterprise software, so I know that euphemism very well)

And what you described showed to my PM side is that the RIM way of doing things, while it covers 100% functionality, makes the 80% situation much less easier to use -- the definition of a corner case.

In any case, I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying -- I am not saying that contacts should only belong to one category. What I'm saying is that it should be possibly to easily browse by category. You're confusing how the data is stored and categories versus how you can browse it.

My suggestion is that RIM probably include functionality to browse contacts by single categories in the address book. Yes, the Filters functionality can do it, but it isn't designed [very well at all] for it.

It's stuff like this is why people still feel that, even will all the negatives of Palm OS, the PIM functionality still is much better (though RIM is slowly catching up).

There's something to be said about ease-of-use vs. a feature list.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #14
rcbjr

Quote:
Oh come on now. Are you kidding me? That's a hack...er a "workaround."

(I'm in enterprise software, so I know that euphemism very well)

And what you described showed to my PM side is that the RIM way of doing things, while it covers 100% functionality, makes the 80% situation much less easier to use -- the definition of a corner case.

In any case, I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying -- I am not saying that contacts should only belong to one category. What I'm saying is that it should be possibly to easily browse by category. You're confusing how the data is stored and categories versus how you can browse it.

My suggestion is that RIM probably include functionality to browse contacts by single categories in the address book. Yes, the Filters functionality can do it, but it isn't designed [very well at all] for it.

It's stuff like this is why people still feel that, even will all the negatives of Palm OS, the PIM functionality still is much better (though RIM is slowly catching up).

There's something to be said about ease-of-use vs. a feature list.
For what categories are meant to do, Group contacts or tasks or appointments by function, relationship, location, or other identifiable grouping, both the Outlook and the RIM by simularity are both efficient and easy to use. By having multiple selectable Categories you can, with a few simple checks, create a filter that selects groups within groups, as deep as you want to go, creating a very specific list very quickly.

I don't understand what you mean "Browse by Category". Do you mean serialy run through each category, one category at a time, until you find the list that has the contact you want?

After re-reading all your posts I think I finally understand. Is what you want, just the ability to directly call up a category from the address list using a shortcut and having it list only the contacts in that category, therefore bypassing the menu Filter selection?

Curious
Rcbjr

Last edited by rcbjr; 06-24-2006 at 02:04 AM..
Old 06-24-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
After re-reading all your posts I think I finally understand. Is what you want, just the ability to directly call up a category from the address list using a shortcut and having it list only the contacts in that category, therefore bypassing the menu Filter selection?

Curious
Rcbjr
Something like that. Anyone who has used a Palm OS device is used to having a drop down of all the categories available on the screen when browsing around, where it was very easy to choose a category and have the list filtered in basically two clicks. To do it using filters on a BB, you have to:

1) click on scroll wheel - scroll to filter
2) click on filter - scroll to the single category you want
3) click on the category
4) click on change option

and to undo the filter, I basically have to go through that whole thing again.

Now, I understand with the BB UI paradigm the need to scroll around vs. use a touch screen, which is the main source of the issue, but IMHO at least get rid of the last step of clicking on change option, and add a "All categories" to the list.

Needless to say, I used to use the category browse functionality on my old Treo quite a bit because it was a useful way of quickly narrowing the list down. I rarely use the filter function because it just seems (yes, user perception) that it takes so long just go to a single category AND to undo it. (it would take less than a sec on a Treo, but it seems to take 10x as long on BB).

Actually an interesting idea (since I'm brainstorming with a glass of wine), it would be great it clicking on the back button would quickly go back to all categories would be great....

Last edited by bigboy; 06-24-2006 at 02:28 AM..
Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 AM   #16
rcbjr

Quote:
Something like that. Anyone who has used a Palm OS device is used to having a drop down of all the categories available on the screen when browsing around, where it was very easy to choose a category and have the list filtered in basically two clicks. To do it using filters on a BB, you have to:

1) click on scroll wheel - scroll to filter
2) click on filter - scroll to the single category you want
3) click on the category
4) click on change option

and to undo the filter, I basically have to go through that whole thing again.

Now, I understand with the BB UI paradigm the need to scroll around vs. use a touch screen, which is the main source of the issue, but IMHO at least get rid of the last step of clicking on change option, and add a "All categories" to the list.

Needless to say, I used to use the category browse functionality on my old Treo quite a bit because it was a useful way of quickly narrowing the list down. I rarely use the filter function because it just seems (yes, user perception) that it takes so long just go to a single category AND to undo it. (it would take less than a sec on a Treo, but it seems to take 10x as long on BB).

Actually an interesting idea (since I'm brainstorming with a glass of wine), it would be great it clicking on the back button would quickly go back to all categories would be great....
Got it, But there's one problem with that. I don't see any way to get a pulldown categories list and keep drill down by typing letters. I think you'd still have to go to the menu. Maybe the ALT key, but if you have numbers or characters (Unusual I know, but) in the drilldown, then it limits that functionality. I know I can use it in all the other apps that need it, but I got used to using it in the address book and don't want to give it up.

Have a glass for me, I really miss a good "Gros Rouge" with my cheeze, but health problems, you know.

Rcbjr
Closed Thread