BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
JayC

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default outlook help

Please Login to Remove!

I have tried finding an answer available online, but cannot. I am using BIS, and have no problems syncing with outlook. All my tasks, addresses, etc work just fine. However, I cannot get outlook set up to send email via my computer. I use gmail, so everytime I find an email link on a website, I have to copy the link, go to gmail, then send from there.
I tried once to set up Outlook, but it totally messed up my syncing with blackberry. Nothing would sync in eiter direction (although Desktop Manager said it all synced fine).
I spent hours uninstalling and reinstalling outlookmany times, until I happed to do some random/frustrated action akin to banging on the keyboard with all my fingers. All of a sudden, syncing worked.
I am an outlook idiot, but would like to set it up so I can email from web links. Please point me in the right direction, or better yet, tell me how to do it.
I just have one "paid" email address. Through comcast (my service provider). All that mail gets forwarded to gmail.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

For Comcast, your incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net
Your outgoing server is smtp.comcast.net

You also need to make sure the box Outgoing Server requires authentication is checked.

That hould help you set up Outlook to receive your comcast email.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

If I understand correctly, you want to recieve your email on your BB automatically?

With BIS, Outlook isnt gong to do this. You need to go to your phone carrier's BIS Site and setup the email account to want to go to the BB.

If you plan on polling with Gmal, there are setting n Gmail that you must setup also.

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
JayC

Default Thanks

I just want outlook to work on my laptop. I am fine using the internet and checking my gmail account. I just can't seem to get outlook on my laptop top work for email without messing up the sync process.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
JayC

Default Anyone?

I am still looking for concrete advice/help.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
diaz1023
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

if i understand, you want to setup gmail on your outlook home computer? if that is the case go to gmail and look under the settings for a way to set up gmail as a pop account, you can download the instructions on how to set that up from the gmail website, after that you can set up the gmail account on outlook and be able to send and recieve the email from there.

hope that this helps
Old 10-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
JayC

Default Not quite

I don't want to use outlook to read my email. I use gmail for that. Here is what I want:
When surfing the internet, I may happen upon a link on a website that says "click here to email us". Well, I click there, and outlook opens up. I type a message and hit send, however, the message never gets sent because outlook is not set up to get the email to the recipient. What I have to do is copy the email link, open gmail and send from there.
When I tried to set up outlook to send previously, I had he sync problem as mentioned in the first post.
Please, some more input.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC
I don't want to use outlook to read my email. I use gmail for that. Here is what I want:
When surfing the internet, I may happen upon a link on a website that says "click here to email us". Well, I click there, and outlook opens up. I type a message and hit send, however, the message never gets sent because outlook is not set up to get the email to the recipient. What I have to do is copy the email link, open gmail and send from there.
When I tried to set up outlook to send previously, I had he sync problem as mentioned in the first post.
Please, some more input.
Outlook requires at least a default email account configured for sending email. That's why it fails to send.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

JayC, you originally said
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC
However, I cannot get outlook set up to send email via my computer.
That indicates that you do want to send via Outlook. You can set up Gmail with Outlook as a pop account or you can set Gmail to be your default mail handler (specifically with mailto links on web pages). You're now saying that the latter is what you want. Try a Google search with those terms. I found at least two approaches within the first few hits.

The easiest way is probably to install the Gmail notifier and configure it to have Gmail handle mailto links.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-13-2006 at 08:45 AM..
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
JayC

Thanks, takeshi. That gmail notifier does the trick.
Closed Thread