Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
rwcohen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Opera Frustration

Please Login to Remove!

I have downloaded, both OTA and zip, and installed and deleted Opera more than times than I want to think about. I have changed my TCP settings. I can browse all I want with the builtin browswer. For some unknown reason, Opera says I do not have a working network connection.

I have read almost all the forums that relate to this problem. T-Mobile was no help of course with 3rd party software. Opera does not have a concise help section. I'd like to use the program but this has gotten me.

On occasion it will tell me that there is a problem with my network connection.

Does anybody have any more ideas that might help?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

your TCP setting should be
APN: wap.voicestream.com
user name:
Password:
leave user name and password blank...
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
rwcohen

Done that. Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Just in case you did not know, I read an article that they finally released Opera made specially for the Blackberry and Treo.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
rwcohen

That's what I put on my phone.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
sas1

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I was getting the same error and tried everything, finally I just unistalled it until I could find a fix. When you do the OTA install it says it doesn't support the phone model. I downloaded the high memory version. If anyone had this problem and fixed it could you post what you ended up doing.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
mrsmokey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

I read in another thread, that somebody set their APN first, and installed Opera AFTER

I tried it, I uninstalled Opera, adjusted the APN setting to wap.voicestream.com and re-installed Opera...got rid of that Non Working Connection error, however I find it a little hard and frustrating to use, but it does work. (both times were OTA installations btw)
Old 10-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Opera has admitted that there are interface issues with the 8100 and Opera Mini. (specifically regarding the trackball) Supposedly there will be a fix in the next version of Opera Mini.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

my thing with opera was making sure the apn was absolutely correct. no extra spaces anywhere - especially at the end where you (I) can't see them! once i got that worked out it was fine. still, I have changed my preference to the built in browser. it is vastly imprved over my old 7100. just my .02
Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
mb2452

Default application permissions ?

Another guess...

Did you check the application permissions to verify that the application is allowed to access the network? Press Menu and select edit permissions after navigating to options->advanced options->applications-->opera mini

Mine is set to "custom" for connections and interactions. It is set to "allow" for user data. You might set it to "allow" for all and also set the "default permissions" to "allow" in case this is the problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
sandman2nd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmokey
I read in another thread, that somebody set their APN first, and installed Opera AFTER

I tried it, I uninstalled Opera, adjusted the APN setting to wap.voicestream.com and re-installed Opera...got rid of that Non Working Connection error, however I find it a little hard and frustrating to use, but it does work. (both times were OTA installations btw)

thanks, that method worked for me also. btw, as of today, new version of opera mobile.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

For the first time yesterday I decided to give one of these third party browsers a go, so I went for this new version of the Opera Mini (low end version which is what the recommend). I'm running it on my Pearl and I do like it. I specifically like that you get the website address bar, the Google search bar and the bookmarks all on the startup screen, nice and flush. I'm also impressed with how it renders pages and the loading time seems improved on the regular BB browser but maybe that's just me.

The trackball bit is slightly annoying when you want to go in to the menu system and have to alternate between the menu key and trackball click (as mentioned by Ophidian) but I can live with that for now.

One thing I thought was odd though is how you connect. I want all my web traffic routed through the MDS on my BES, and I certainly don't want to be incurring WAP charges, but I'm not actually sure whether or not Opera is going via WAP or the MDS as there's nowhere to specify it. Has anybody else figured this out yet???

Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #13
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

Will the opera browser support frames? If its not a browser issue, is it just a bb issue?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
KeithJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

^I don't think it supports frames, but it does a good job at handling websites with frames (IMO). Not sure if it's RIMS issue or not.
I actually like the low memory version better, I've been using the high memory all this time. The trackball issue which everyone agrees is annoying, I can't wait for them to fix that. The low memory version gives you full screen but I wish it would do font smoothing like the high memory. Another thing it doesn't go back when you click the trackball it just does nothing which is better than how the high memory version handled it. Hopefully it will be released soon for the 8100 (even though on the opera mini page it says the 8100 is supported.)
Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
Omikron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
One thing I thought was odd though is how you connect. I want all my web traffic routed through the MDS on my BES, and I certainly don't want to be incurring WAP charges, but I'm not actually sure whether or not Opera is going via WAP or the MDS as there's nowhere to specify it. Has anybody else figured this out yet???
It would seem that the current version of Opera Mini only supports connections via WAP. This can be demonstrated by removing the your handset's WAP settings, and watching Opera break. Perhaps with enough feedback they may add MDS support in the future?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #16
craigme

Carrier: TMOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythmbHurts
your TCP setting should be
APN: wap.voicestream.com
user name:
Password:
leave user name and password blank...
I tried this and it didn't work -- then I added a blank space in both username and password and that did the trick... Not sure why, but it now works..
Old 10-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #17
XyKo

I just downloaded Opera Mini high memory version. I thought it would be an actual browser. I came from a Sony P900 and love that feature with Opera. For the BB Opera version, it's not that much of a difference then the software that came with the phone.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #18
ncabbyt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

No sir... I don't like it. The interface isn't indicitive of how the new trackball should work.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 AM   #19
limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
One thing I thought was odd though is how you connect.
Excuse me if this is non-trivial. If you turn on your firewall you'll see that every page request is routed through Opera's IP address range.
Closed Thread