BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Baldo

Default IT Policy BUG BES 4.0 HF2 for Domino

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone encountered the same bug that I have. It has to do with options not being saved in a newly created IT Policy for BES 4.0 HF2 for Domino.
We have created a number of new IT Policies but essentially there are two kinds, one where we enable the phone, and the other disable.
It appears as though HF2 did something to corrupt the SQL update (something like this is referred to on our Event Viewer) and the changes are not saved. There is an "Application Error - contact vendor...etc etc) msg that occurs if you do the following...click the apply button then the ok button...on occasion you get this error. IT does not save your settings, even if you dont get this error it does not appear to save your settings as we have all our policies set to ALLOW PHONE TRUE even though we just saved them as FALSE...
Our local provider Rogers and RIM both have recreated this error and it has been logged....anyone else have this problem or figure out a workaround? I cannot update the Default Policy as we have many different users who do and do not use the cell phone part...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
MrHorse

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I get 'Application Error - Please report to support personel if problem persists' error after I changed a few policies. Another thing I noticed is that I had set the Maximum Password Length to 7 and after the Application Error, I re-opened the It Policy and the password length was changed to a 11 or 12 digit number.

RIM TSupport had no idea.

BES 4.0.0.58 Domino 5.0.13a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 8.00.760
Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
Baldo

Thats the same error message...it appeared shortly after Hotfix 2 was installed..which is v4.0.0.58 like yours..only I'm using Domino 5.0.12. I didnt really check before applying the patch and its one of those things where I wish I hadn't been so quick to apply the hotfixes...

Through our provider Rogers in Canada we spoke to T-Support and they do have a ticket number for my call but as you can see, we're stuck until we get some sort of fix...Its not limited to the fields that you or I are using..I think its happening to ANY field we try to set. If you look in the Eventviewer you will see some messages that may relate. I'd say thats a pretty severe problem wouldnt you?

If you are persistent and keep trying over and over again and ignore the error msg it MAY work for you..I kept trying over and over and it looks like I finally have the policies flags that I need set BUT am afraid to make any further changes if it screws up anything else...

Regards....
Old 03-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
MrHorse

Try clicking just OK and not Apply. I just created a new Policy and I didn't get the Application Error. I edited one policy group at a time, click OK all the way out, and then went back in and edited another policy group, clicked OK, went all the way out, etc, etc. I'm changing 21 rules in 9 policy groups and, with my fingers crossed, I didn't get the Application error.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
MrHorse

RIM TSupport said it was a known issue. The SDR is 50147.

BTW, my suggestion of just clicking OK didn't work. Clicking Apply and then OK will get you the Application Error; clicking just OK you don't see the error but the data still crapped out.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Baldo

Yeah I was going to mention tried that too but didnt work...not only do you have a lot of policies, hopefully something stupid doesnt get set.
For example, we do not enforce a password length...I think in the default its set to 5...but I just activated a RIM 950 v2.7 (old beast) and it asked for a password with minimum length of 15??? I dont dare change or redo it because who knows whats going to break next...try explaining that to your novice users???

Later...
Old 05-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
mr chips

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHorse
I get 'Application Error - Please report to support personel if problem persists' error after I changed a few policies. Another thing I noticed is that I had set the Maximum Password Length to 7 and after the Application Error, I re-opened the It Policy and the password length was changed to a 11 or 12 digit number.

RIM TSupport had no idea.

BES 4.0.0.58 Domino 5.0.13a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 8.00.760

Hi there, I seem to be having the smae problem and was wondering whether you heard anything back from RIM? I have noticed that if you wait a while and then redo the changes they will save .

What is strange is the password length field. We set this field to 6, saved the policy and applied it to a single device. We never got the application error message, so I checked the policy later in the day and it was still OK, but when I came back to it the following day the field was set to 859 million, but none of the other policy changes had been affected, just this field. If I try and force change the password to the device that has this policy set, it complains that the password is too short, by 859 million characters. So things could get interesting when the password expires!

Kind regards

Carl.
Closed Thread