BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
blackberrykyle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Please help w/ EVDO Issue...I'm ready to switch!

Please Login to Remove!

Hey Everyone,

I'm continuing to have issues with my EVDO reception on my BB. I can't seem to get an answer anywhere, and I'm just about at my wits end. Please help me out if you can!

I'm on a Verizon 7250, OS 4.1.

My BB is inexplicably losing EVDO signal several times each day. For instance, I'll have it tethered as a modem with a strong EVDO signal. I'll disconnect without moving the BB and lose EVDO. The only way that I've found to get it back is to do a hard reset.

Other times I'll wake up in the morning with no EVDO. The only way to get it back is through a hard reset.

I've done a PRL update with no apparent change to this behavior. I have had the reset my BB three times already today. Heck, at this point I'm even thinking that the Q might be better. After all, What good does OS stability do me if I have to reset the thing continually to get my EVDO signal?

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this situation! Thanks.

Kyle
Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
kevinmg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

i had a treo700w and would consistently lose my evdo signal in downtown chicago...it would switch to 1x connection unexpectedly - most times it came back a short while after....maybe "it's the network"??...is your BB under warranty?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
blackberrykyle
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have replacement insurance on the BB.

I really don't believe this has anything to do with the network itself because as soon as I reset the device, the signal is fine.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

is it completely losing signal or just switching to 1X? if it is switching to 1X I am having the same problem in some areas. was it behaving like this all the time? or just recently?

Verizon actually sent someone (who when I asked what their job was he told me he was the "can you hear me now guy") to my location and they said it was the network, they put in a temporary tower that seemed to help the signal a big and are going to build a permanant one in the next 6 months. i was very happy with their service. they said that this can occur when there are two towers close to one another and one supports broadband and the other does not, they said the blackberry can sometimes get stuck switching between the two of them since it is automatically supposed to go for the closest/strongest one, even if it does not support EVDO

if this is your problem, check to see if it is happening everywhere in your area, otherwise call verizon and have them send someone to check out the network, i did get a replacement unit before they did this though and it had the same problem so they sent someone out..

And for the Q: i had a friends Q sitting right next to me after they told me it was the network and it was doing the exact same thing.. (switching back and forth between 1X and 1XEV)

Last edited by pspiegel; 11-02-2006 at 02:11 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
blackberrykyle
Thumbs Must Hurt

It is switching to 1X and it seems to have gotten worse recently (but that may just be my mounting frustration level).

The issue I'm having doesn't involve switching back and forth between 1X and 1XEV though. Once I go from 1XEV to 1X, I could go sit on a new tower and it won't go back to 1XEV unless I yank the battery and reset the darn thing. My problem seems to be that it won't switch. Make any sense??

Thanks for the help!!
Closed Thread