Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #42
bweppner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
I see the black jack as a bb wanabee
I respectfully disagree. I own both a BlackJack and an 8700c. BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses.

BlackJack Strengths:
  • 3G! - Fast, Fast, Fast - 800K+ Download Speeds (why no 3G on the upcoming 8800?)
  • Great form factor.
  • Camera
  • Full QWERTY Keyboard
  • Windows Media Player
  • Bluetooth 2.0 - Stereo Headset Capability
  • Multiple Push email systems - Good, MS Exchange & Full Outlook Synchronization
Weaknesses:
  • Battery Life (why you get two batteries)
  • No BES
  • Speed Dial not "Alpha" Based, ex. [K] vs. [7]
BlackBerry 8700c Strengths:
  • BES - Excellent Push email!
  • Full QWERTY Keyboard
  • BlackBerry OS & Jog Dial (will miss that feature in the 8800...)
  • Auto On / Off Feature
  • Automatic Holster Profile
  • Speed Dial IS "Alpha" Based
Weaknesses:
  • No 3G Support (for now)
  • Only option for Push email is BES
  • No Stereo Bluetooth
I can't say I have too many complaints at all with my 8700c. But, what I like about the BlackJack is the ability to have a single device for phone, email, mobile web (at 3G speeds), and media player all in one. The new 8800 may be that device as well depending on the way the keyboard is implemented. However, the 8800 will still NOT be 3G. I must say, I'm hooked on the 3G SPEED...

This is my opinion only and YMMV.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #43
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Ah another weak ness for the blackjack ir runs on windows mobile wich means it is vunerable to wardriving lol
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #44
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
The battery life statement is absolutely false!! It really makes me wonder about people and what they are doing to the phone to make it get such bad battery life. My Blackjack goes through a VERY heavy day of use and still has a 50-70% charge. That will easily get me though the next day.

Nothing is perfect but people are really wrong about the Blackjack's battery life...unless they are doing something with it that I am not.
Are you running 3g?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #45
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

A friend of mine just returned his 29 day old Blackjack today. The problems he encountered were numerous. WM5 crashed every other day with no 3rd party apps. Multitasking slowed the OS to a crawl, when connected to 3G it would suddenly switch back to edge.
When having a good day with it working the battery would only last about 3.5 hrs.

This was his second one as the 1st one was also problematic & he thought it was a bad one.

Finally he decided that the loss of time & money trying to live with the blackjack was a price higher than he was willing to pay.

He replaced it with an 8700c and he's amazed at how well it functions. Its his first BlackBerry and a device he plans on keeping.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #46
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Lol blackjank lol its buggier than windows 95
Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #47
pinhead

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

See, this is what happens when people either do not read the instructions or just want to give up on a device because they haven't or can't adjust to the differences. The Blackjack, or any other MS Smartphone with similar features, is not buggy at all. I have been using Windows Mobile for a very long time and have had a BB every once in a while for good measure even though I never stuck with it (though I'm seriously considering it again now). Without third party applications the WM5 OS is just as reliable as the Blackberry. I am absolutely certain of this. In fact, the Blackjack has yet to reset on me or even have a slowdown, yet my 8700g got some weird security message on the screen while I was moving a menu item and promptly reset itself twice now. I have had both for only a week or so.

I am very willing to give BB a serious chance, even as a long-time Windows Mobile user, since they are obviously top-dog when it comes to email and messaging in general. However, the problems I am seeing people point out about Windows Mobile or the Blackjack specifically are generally inaccurate.

I will try to make an honest comparison between the two a little later today since I have the time. I think it is fair for people to see the Blackjack and the 8700g (which I'll be comparing it to) for what they are out of the box and not what happens after someone screws one or the other up with third party software.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #48
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

We'll wether or not 3rd party apps ar involve or not phones that run WM5 an symbian OS's are a security rist due tu the cabir virus the metalgearsold virus amon othe forms of wirless maleware
Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #49
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Quote:
We'll wether or not 3rd party apps ar involve or not phones that run WM5 an symbian OS's are a security rist due tu the cabir virus the metalgearsold virus amon othe forms of wirless maleware
um...what?

If your trying to say that windows mobile have virus risks, then you really should do your homework. There has never been 1 known virus that has infected wm phones.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #50
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
Nothing is perfect but people are really wrong about the Blackjack's battery life...unless they are doing something with it that I am not.
The battery life issue is a mixed bag, as some people spend a lot of time on the web @ 3G which does consume more power. To that I say, "so what?". I agree with you, "nothing is perfect".

That said having used a Blackjack myself, the more serious problem for me is how slow the OS is when switching apps, and multi-tasking, compared to my BlackBerry's. Then there is the problem of it freezing up and crashing. While it's not as bad as a Treo, or Moto Q, it remains a deal breaker for me. This device is not ready for prime time yet.

I use my BlackBerry to get work done. It is so stable that I know I can count on it, and therefore I can get out of the office earlier, work remotely, etc.

With a Blackjack it's more of a device to play around with when one has extra time and there is nothing mission critical for work that needs to be done. At some point, I believe they will get the bugs worked out of the OS. However for now I don't want to be one of their beta testers. In addition, it's more expensive for the data plan by at least $10 a month.

Agreed, 3G is nice when you can get it. However I think we are about 6 months away from that being fully implemented as well. By then I feel there is a great chance that there will be a BlackBerry model ready and equipped with 3G.

After all, that's what RIM is known for, stability, functionality, and performance when the chips are down. A device that one can count on.

I'll wait for RIM and know that I will not be disappointed.

Cheers....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #51
pinhead

PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
That is exactly the type of misinformation I want to avoid. Misconceptions, preconceptions, utter lies, and just plain old lack of common sense at times. What is the point? Unless you personally designed the Blackberry or Blackjack or anything other product there is no reason to be so loyal as to wear blinders at all times.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #52
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Lol iwould not be posing that if I did not do my homwork now would I?

And I have been readinf article papers an pdfs on this subkect

All hant an handhelds that us the symbian an windows mobile operating systems ar the one tha or affected by the mobile viri. Non of th papers reffrence rims os most likey becaus it is not as coomonplace as windowsmobile or symbian wich are all over the place in europe and asia
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 AM   #53
BBJunkie

Model: Curve
PIN: No thankyou

The usage of the unit may have tons to do with the blackberry life. I get about 200 emails a day. This by itself could be the reason why this lovely unit is not going to cut it for this old blackberry user.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:52 AM   #54
jmejonesnovo

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried
My e61 does EDGE and UMTs. Unfortunately, it only does the European flavor (or is that flavour) of UMTs. When I am in London over the holidays, I will enjoy taking it out on the e-Autobahn and opening her up.

Hopefully the rumored E-63 will do both North American and European UMTs.

PS: Here is a link to another Windows Mobile device that at least handles UMTS in the North American range. I don't see anything about HSPDA. Club i-mate - i-mate JASJAM

I have an e61 too. It will surf and recognize the Cingular 3G network as long as you have a newer 64K SIM card.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #55
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

All hant an handhelds that us the symbian an windows mobile operating systems ar the one tha or affected by the mobile viri. Non of th papers reffrence rims os most likey becaus it is not as coomonplace as windowsmobile or symbian wich are all over the place in europe and asia
And I will tell you as somebody that supports win mobile devices in a large corporate environment that you are completely wrong. Reading .pdfs doesnt give you any real world knowledge of the situation. I repeat, I have never seen, never heard from, or never read from anybody on the internet that had a windows mobile device infected with a virus. Please show me a post from anywhere on the internet that I am wrong.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #56
BBJunkie

Model: Curve
PIN: No thankyou

The battery issue is TRUE. I guess if we too only received 20 emails a day, perhpas the unit would also last as long as your does today. But for the rest of us who really use these units for day to day business and receive about 200 emails a day, these units can't keep up until Samsung fixes the battery issues. Now, I just obtained an extended battery for my unit and it seems to at least last a full day not vs 4 to 5hrs.

But again, battery life on this units does really kills this product. The product's look and feel is GREAT. Once you fix the battery issue, all is well.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #57
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJunkie
The battery issue is TRUE. I guess if we too only received 20 emails a day, perhpas the unit would also last as long as your does today. But for the rest of us who really use these units for day to day business and receive about 200 emails a day, these units can't keep up until Samsung fixes the battery issues. Now, I just obtained an extended battery for my unit and it seems to at least last a full day not vs 4 to 5hrs.

But again, battery life on this units does really kills this product. The product's look and feel is GREAT. Once you fix the battery issue, all is well.
The Blackjack battery is bad when you have 3g enabled. The Tmobile Dash (if I carried a windows unit, this would be it), has great battery life.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #58
ratatosk

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejonesnovo
I have an e61 too. It will surf and recognize the Cingular 3G network as long as you have a newer 64K SIM card.
The E61 actually just uses EDGE on Cingular because it doesn't support UMTS 1900. If you are in 3G mode then you'll see a little 3G near the signal meter.

As for the Blackjack, I also gave it a try. I agree that it is not ready for prime time, although I certainly enjoyed the HSDPA/UMTS speed. The extended battery helps with the battery life issue though.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #59
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Yeah the blackjank is jus to wow people so cingulare can rake in more subscribers at least it's made by samsung an not moterol whick makesoverpriiced crap
Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #60
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

maybe in between "reading article papers" on the false information you have , an English book or perhaps a how to on typing may be of better use to you. What'ya think???