BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
robert14

Model: 8700
Default Navigation Software for BB8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if there is any Nav software for the BB8700? I was going to get a Tom Tom for the Vehicle, but I heard there may be something for the BB.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Yes there is. I have TeleNav on my 8700c. You have to add a bluetooth GPS unit. They're $99 on the TeleNav site. I think some other ones are cheaper and will work as well.
TeleNav charges $10 a month for unlimited use.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
Starz26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Stay away from telenav. There are too many bugs with the program and the 8700. When something goes wrong they always blame it on someone else.

But, if you are ok with problems, the program is great when it works. There is another option called Wayfinder. www.wayfinder.com. The program is a little difficult to navigate through the menus, but the functionality and stability is better than Telenav.

After 2 years with Telenav I was forced to buy a dedicated GPS. Having to pull over on the interstate the wait for the BB to reboot (caused by Telenav) several times was enough. Goto their website and read the forums and you will see that they are giving all 8700 users free service because of the problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
darkmark
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: o2
Default TelMap

I currently use TelMap with my 8700 and, although the interface is a bit fiddly to begin with have found it to be remarkably good.

My only real gripe is the estimated arrival time it gives, which doesn't seem to update if you speed up or get stuck in traffic.

Last week on a trip to berkshire, whilst stuck on the m4, it showed i had 25 miles to go and would be there in 4 minutes...maybe there's a car upgrade I was missing that converts it to a helicopter?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26
Stay away from telenav. There are too many bugs with the program and the 8700. When something goes wrong they always blame it on someone else.

But, if you are ok with problems, the program is great when it works. There is another option called Wayfinder. www.wayfinder.com. The program is a little difficult to navigate through the menus, but the functionality and stability is better than Telenav.

After 2 years with Telenav I was forced to buy a dedicated GPS. Having to pull over on the interstate the wait for the BB to reboot (caused by Telenav) several times was enough. Goto their website and read the forums and you will see that they are giving all 8700 users free service because of the problems.
Does anyone know if the Telenav 8700 problems have been fixed. A few posts suggests that might be so.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
BrentM

Model: 8700C
Default 8700c and TeleNav

I have had it for a few weeks. So far so good. Only had trouble connecting to TeleNav's server once or twice.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
DAB

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Try a free download of Google Maps via your web browser on the 8700g.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Roscoe

Carrier: Cingular

I'm confused about some of these posts...8700C Bluetooth connectivity is limited to headsets; don't think it will work with a GPS unit.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

One question I have on BT Navs, can the GPS device be used with a BT headset at the same time? I know that usualy one device can be connected at a time to many but I have not seen anything when it comes to the 8700.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

None of them work like a TOM TOM ( free after you buy it ). I have looked and looked but unless someone does a TOM TOM app on the 8700, it's not the same. Palm does and it is great.
the google works great on the BB if you are in an area that you can download. about the only thing missing is the GSP pointer. As for the BT GPS receiver, you need software to allow it to work. not sure but it looks like the other applications send receive location info and sent it back to the service to update the map on the diaplay. I use a Delorme on a laptop when traveling and the only restriction is the receiver location and updat is fast.

there a lot of small pocket type GPS's and I'm about ready to buy unless someone does a TRUE gps app without service plans on the 8700.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I am going to try some of these. I downloaded Wayfinder and I like the interface. The BT puck should be here next week. If you are using it and a call comes in it tells you that data stops.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
BrentM

Default GPS Applications tested on the 8700c + GPS receiver

I have tested the following:

SORRY, I AM NOT "ALLOWED" TO PROVIDE URLs UNTIL I HAVE MADE 10 POSTS... I just love the first amendment....

TeleNav
wwwtelenavcom
Pros - Easy Menu Navigation
Cons - Sometimes cause my 8700c to crash and reboot, small maps

Telmap
wwwtelmapcom
Pros - Downloads total route in a single download instead of constantly downloading during the trip.
Nice Graphics
Cons - Menus not as easy as TeleNav

Wayfinder
wwwwayfindercom
Pros -
Cons - It says "waiting for satellites" and never acquires a fix. Can't get this to run

Spot
wwwskylab-mobilesystemscom/en/
Pros -
Cons - Doesn't give turn by turn directions

Berryvine Companion
wwwberryvinecom
Pros -
Cons - Can't get a GPS fix therefore could not test.

Garmin Mobile 3.0
mobile.garmin.com
This is not available yet, but rumors say by the end of 2006. This looks like the most promising solution for the BlackBerry 8700.

I am also looking for a FREE gps tracking software package.

Mologogo
wwwmologogocom
I can't get this to work

Mobile GMaps
wwwmgmapscom

Locator for Appexchangemobile
wwwtierravisioncom
Trial version works fine. Great for walking places and getting constant updates on a map.

PLEASE keep this thread going. Let me know if you find any additional GPS programs for me to test!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:

I have been using Telenav extensively for a week now on my 8700c and have not had one single problem at all...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
BrentM

I took off some older software and it seemed to solve the TeleNav software crash issue.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:06 AM   #15
Telmap_TS

Model: 8800
Default Answer form Telmap Tech. Support

Dear customer;
Telmap Navigator application does calculate the estimated arrival time based on the current driving speed.
Is it possible that you translate 04:00 on the screen to 4 minutes rather than 4 hours?

Regards
Telmap Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmark
I currently use TelMap with my 8700 and, although the interface is a bit fiddly to begin with have found it to be remarkably good.

My only real gripe is the estimated arrival time it gives, which doesn't seem to update if you speed up or get stuck in traffic.

Last week on a trip to berkshire, whilst stuck on the m4, it showed i had 25 miles to go and would be there in 4 minutes...maybe there's a car upgrade I was missing that converts it to a helicopter?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:

over 3 months of EXTENSIVE use on telenav and not one problem...
Old 12-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
over 3 months of EXTENSIVE use on telenav and not one problem...
Just a note to all, there is a thread about telenave and the 8700. With Cingular's recent release of the new OS earlier this month, telenave came out with a new release for the 8700 and the new version is 4.7 and yes it did reolve the bugs that some have experienced with teh software. So if you have V 4.4, unistall it first and then go to the OTA linke and download the newest version.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
darkmark

Model: Bold
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmap_TS
Dear customer;
Telmap Navigator application does calculate the estimated arrival time based on the current driving speed.
Is it possible that you translate 04:00 on the screen to 4 minutes rather than 4 hours?

Regards
Telmap Technical Support
4 hours for 25 miles? Still sounds like an accuracy issue to me!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

darkmark, I noticed the same inaccuracy with the ETA yesterday. I was traveling the speed limit but the ETA said I was traveling at 6 miles per hour with an ETA of 3 hours.

~MrKyoo
Old 12-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #20
joe allen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

i know the sprint 8703e is gps enabled. what does that mean? do you still have to buy external hardware before you can use gps apps?

"Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"
Closed Thread