BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Jasontech

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Best way to backup the Besadmin acct in 3.6?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to nail down our DR plan for our current 3.6 server. After watching this RIM DR webcast, I am a bit confused over what was presented in the broadcast.

http://www2.streamlogics.com/clients...entSelected=41

In one part of the tutorial, they claim you should do a brick level backup of the Besadmin account since there is important data in the hidden folders. Then they mention you can use 'blackberrybackup.exe' for faster restore times. However, later in the presentation, they say that application cannot backup hidden folders. What good is then?

Can somone set me straight on the best method of protecting the service account?

thanks,

Jason
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

brick level backup is the best method. keep in mind that this particular mailbox is THE most important aspect of your BES - whether it be 3.6 or 4.0. you can basically drop/lose your database at will and create a new one and be hunky dory. if you lose your service account mailbox, you're definitely dealing with disaster recovery (which typically will involve a good chewing of the ass by your chief executive).

they are correct in saying this is MUCH slower to backup and restore from. if you can afford a brick level backup solution and especially if you currently have this implemented for Exchange already, i'd say this is the best method.

Last edited by jibi; 04-04-2005 at 07:15 PM..
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Jasontech

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

thanks for the reply. I've had T support for 2 years, and they are usually very good, but the last few times I called, I am getting the most entry level techs they have. I spent 2 days on the phone trying to get this simple answer.

I was told 3 times that blackberrybackup.exe is fine to backup the Besadmin account, then followed up 2 times and said it won't. (all coming from the same tech). very frustrating.

We are going to use Backup Exec 9 to do a brick level backup of the Besadmin again. appreciate the advice!
Closed Thread