BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
gqnyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Question Cingular Replacement

Please Login to Remove!

Does Cingular offer BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Replacements??? Like T-Mobile???
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Replacements for what reason?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
gqnyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

My BlackBerry Peal is defective :'( hardware problem I called Cingular and they gave me the number to call and they will send it and I send mine back but the only problem is that my Pearl is T-Mobile :( lol i moved from tmo to cingular if I send the tmobile one back would they charge me would they notice lmfaooo the imei and all info is registered on cingular when I activated my account and all...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700

I wouldn't expect Cingular to replace a T-Mobile Pearl.

Please try a Search

Last edited by kasperapd; 01-15-2007 at 10:51 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

...and I wouldn't expect TMobile to replace it either. However, it's possible. You're kind of in no-man's land on that one. You can always try calling RIM, too. I have no experience with that particular issue.

What exactly is wrong with your Pearl?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Towers

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
I wouldn't expect Cingular to replace a T-Mobile Pearl.
I would assume Cingular would just send it back to RIM if it's a hardware problem, they're probably more interested in keeping you subscribed as a data customer than anything else.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnyc
My BlackBerry Peal is defective :'( hardware problem I called Cingular and they gave me the number to call and they will send it and I send mine back but the only problem is that my Pearl is T-Mobile :( lol i moved from tmo to cingular if I send the tmobile one back would they charge me would they notice lmfaooo the imei and all info is registered on cingular when I activated my account and all...
This is certainly a lot of added info from your original question.

There is no reason under the law that one would think your new carrier would warrant a phone from a different carrier.

But think of this from another angle, which I am not sure of in the legal sense.

Technically, it is RIM who warrants the Pearl, not your carrier. I think the way it is set up is that the carriers only facilitate the handling of warranty claims.

I recall reading on RIM's site their warranty statement, etc. Even had info on making a claim.

So what I am saying is maybe there is some way to make a warranty through RIM directly.

Just a thought.

LINK BlackBerry

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-15-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
SanFrancisco

Well RIM says that if you did not buy the phone from them, you have to go through the carrier.

IMHO since RIM is the one who warrants the phone, they are simply referring you to the carrier for processing. It is not because they are saying the carrier is warranting the phone.

Call the toll free number in the below graphic. Tell them what happened. I suspect that RIM handles the claim in situations like yours.

From a strictly legal standpoint, I don't see that RIM is able to get out of warranting the phone simply because someone changes carriers. That is a common situation so I would think RIM is still bound.

So on a call to RIM I suspect they will cover it or maybe even say that Cingular will handle the processing since it's no skin off their nose as RIM will send them the replacement phone.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
gqnyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok lol I logged into my Cingular account and when I go into the upgrade options I am eligable to upgrade but I need to make an immediate payment if I call cingular and upgrade my Grandmothers line to the BlackBerry Pearl would they bill me on my account??? Im currently using the TMO BB with hardware problems I contacted rim and for them to replace my device it will cost 230 and for me to upgrade it will be 250 so I rather upgrade and get a new device
Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #10
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnyc
Ok lol I logged into my Cingular account and when I go into the upgrade options I am eligable to upgrade but I need to make an immediate payment if I call cingular and upgrade my Grandmothers line to the BlackBerry Pearl would they bill me on my account??? Im currently using the TMO BB with hardware problems I contacted rim and for them to replace my device it will cost 230 and for me to upgrade it will be 250 so I rather upgrade and get a new device
Not sure at all what you are saying here. Are you saying the diff between the two is saving $20 and paying now versus later?

What happened to the warranty idea? What I said in my post.
Closed Thread