BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
giff74
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: Sprint
Default Any way to sync w/ ACT! besides Companion Link?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, first post so I hope I am putting it in the right place.

I recently upgraded from the Treo to a 7250 and much to my chagrin I couldnt sync ACT! with the Blackberry without Companion Link. I downloaded the trial version so I could at least get my phone list onto the 7250, but I hate having to spend $80 more buy this software. I dont know who I am more upset with RIM or Sage.

Does anyone have any other alternatives to Companion Link? I had this same issue with the Treo and was able to source a program that worked for free, but I havent been able to uncover one for the Berry.

Thanks, Giff
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Handheld Contact(HHC) is a more powerful (and more expensive) solution for Act! to Blackberry synchronization.

I use HHC and find it worth every penny.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
Handheld Contact(HHC) is a more powerful (and more expensive) solution for Act! to Blackberry synchronization.

I use HHC and find it worth every penny.
Hi Al - Since you're pretty familiar with Handheld Contact, I thought I'd throw this question your way.

Does Handheld Contact integrate the contact database with the Calendar/Task/etc function on the handset so that I could do a contact lookup, select to schedule an Appointment/To-Do/etc related to that contact and have the wireless service sync the appointment, etc back to a desktop?

Those are the most missed capabilities on the Blackberry, and though a fair bit expensive, it would only be a drop in the bucket as a business expense that could pay for itself quickly.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Does Handheld Contact integrate the contact database with the Calendar/Task/etc function on the handset so that I could do a contact lookup, select to schedule an Appointment/To-Do/etc related to that contact and have the wireless service sync the appointment, etc back to a desktop?
Thanks.
HHC creates its own database on your Blackberry. You can set HHC to perfrom synchronization both ways (from your Act! Desktop to and from your Blackberry.) The HHC database can have a larger number of fields as well as custom fields, so you are not limited by the Blackberry contact database restrictions.

HHC has a free trial. I had a few problems initially setting up the program, but the tech support folks at HHC were extremely helpful.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Thanks, Al. With a planned upgrading of hardware and software for my office this spring, I'll have to give it a try. Unless RIM's upcoming UI includes an integrated database for contacts and calendar, I'll have to give HHC a serious workout. Maybe sooner.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
giff74
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Sprint

So as long as you have ACT! running and the computer is connected to the internet the BB and the computer can sync virtually all the time?

I am thinking about switching to a Goldmine based CRM, do you know if this method of syncing works with them also?

Thanks, Giff
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
I forgot to mention that HHC gives the user the option to export his HHC contact database to the built-in Blackberry contact database on his Blackberry. However, that is a one-way transfer FROM the HHC database on the Blackberry TO the (native) contact database on the Blackberry. This is accomplished by way of a menu selection in HHC's "Options" on the Blackberry. Of course, the HHC custom fields do not transfer.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

CompanionLink is a good low cost way to get a good sync. HHC is great has a monthly charge
Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
KRhyno

I am using ACT 6.0 and need to purchase either HHC or CompanionLink. Considering the price difference is alomst $130 per user more for HHC, what does HHC do that makes it that much better?

KR
Old 03-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRhyno
I am using ACT 6.0 and need to purchase either HHC or CompanionLink. Considering the price difference is alomst $130 per user more for HHC, what does HHC do that makes it that much better?

KR
HHC has a comparison table on their website at Compare Handheld Contact With Cradle Synch.

HHC may be overkill for your needs. I highly recommend that you take adantage of HHC's free 14-day trial if you're still interested.

Closed Thread