BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
marlopez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Email setup: Company uses BES, i have a personal account.

Please Login to Remove!

I am temporarily working for a company and i have my own blackberry with a personal, unlimited blackberry plan from cingular. they have given me a company email address.
the company i work for uses verizon & nextel blackberry's and have a BES account.

i asked the IT guy how I can get my email sent to my own blackberry, but he doesn't know off hand and will need to get more information. What information do I need from him in order to get my email sent to my blackberry?

i normally just use the "personal email set up" app. on the blackberry that asks for your email address and password, but that doesn't work.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You should be able to go through BIS. I have done that in the past. If that doesn't work, have the IT guy allow you permissions to get it via POP3. All else fails, use a rule to forward it to another account.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
marlopez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
You should be able to go through BIS. I have done that in the past. If that doesn't work, have the IT guy allow you permissions to get it via POP3. All else fails, use a rule to forward it to another account.
i was browsing around on the phone and on the setup wizard app. i followed set up email to "i want to use a work email account with a BES". it just asks for your email and the BES password. is it just as easy as that?
if so, is the password something that is just given out freely? i'm an intern so who knows how comfortable the IT dept. will be on giving it out.

is there no need for a business account to use the enterprise? they are offering to give me a company blackberry and account and transferring my number to the new phone, but i don't want to deal with it since im only working for them for 6 months. and i love my pearl, i dont want a fat nextel 7290
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Did you ask the IT guy if you could use your own BB on the BES? Adding your BB to the BES is as simple as the IT department creating a BES password for your account (it's not the same as your email password, they have to create it.) You then enter your email address and the password created by the IT/BES admin. The downside of this can be IT policies that are pushed to your BB from the BES. Some companies have very strict policies such as no 3rd party apps, no internet, handheld password required, etc. and some have no policies. If you can temporarily live with their policies then go ahead and add it to the BES if they will do so. When you're done with that company have them push a blank IT policy to your device so you are not stuck with restrictions after leaving the company.

If they won't add your personal BB to the BES then you are left with the suggestions above.

Hope I've helped..
John
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
marlopez
Thumbs Must Hurt

thank you. i will try this out
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
bimmerdriver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NONE
Carrier: Bell Mobility

We just switched over to BBs. We have an enterprise server for MS exchange. I get corporate email from that and I added two personal email accounts using the email setup application. I didn't ask for permission, just did it and it worked without any other configuration. I'd say give it a go and see what happens.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopez
I am temporarily working for a company and i have my own blackberry with a personal, unlimited blackberry plan from cingular. they have given me a company email address.
the company i work for uses verizon & nextel blackberry's and have a BES account.

i asked the IT guy how I can get my email sent to my own blackberry, but he doesn't know off hand and will need to get more information. What information do I need from him in order to get my email sent to my blackberry?

i normally just use the "personal email set up" app. on the blackberry that asks for your email address and password, but that doesn't work.
There are several ways that this can be done but it really depends on what the company is willing to do. It's easiest if they can grant you POP access to the email account but most won't. Forwarding is another option, but again, most companies wont do this as they view it as a security issue.

You could add your Blackberry to their BES but there are the caveats that were pointed out above. Additionally, you would have to switch to a BES-enabled data plan with your carrier.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
marlopez
Thumbs Must Hurt

so today i tried to connect to my company's BES. I was given an activation password, and got the prompt "server not responding". then my enterprise icon disappeared. I found this thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post438602, where this person stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strogonowski
...I'm a BES admin (about 8000 users on 5 servers so far) I have to deal with it from time to time. If user did not buy correct plan with T-Mobile there is no Icon and there is no option to do EA under Settings-Advanced options...

I have the Cingular BIS for $29.99 which is unlimited data usage. I'm guessing that this plan doesn't allow me to connect to a BES.

What can I do to retrieve email on my BB? Is there no way I can connect to their BES?
Are there other options for me to retrieve email on my BB? I think the company restricted forwarding email because i set up a rule in outlook to forward email to my gmail adddress, which it doesnt do. And if it did, I found out that through gmail push, the reply is from the [email address] account even though i set my default reply on gmail as my corporate account's email address.