Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
jarodl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Default Gmail not working properly?

Please Login to Remove!

I setup my pearl today and I am having problems with Gmail. First is that there is a ~5 minute delay from when an email is sent to when it pops up.

Second is a copy of all my emails is showing up in my SMS folder. Anyone help?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodl
I setup my pearl today and I am having problems with Gmail. First is that there is a ~5 minute delay from when an email is sent to when it pops up.

Second is a copy of all my emails is showing up in my SMS folder. Anyone help?
Sounds like you didnt set it up right.....I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
heylove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-handheld.html
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
jarodl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylove
That wasn't what I was reffering to. I setup the filter. All of the messages people send me are showing up in my SMS folder and Email folder.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
heylove
Thumbs Must Hurt

oops
Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
heylove
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think it has something to do with the theme.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
pdshepherd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have a similar issue with mine. Every time i send a GMAIL message I get a copy of it sent back to my own blackberry.

I have looked at all the settings.... its got me at a loss....
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
sman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdshepherd
I have a similar issue with mine. Every time i send a GMAIL message I get a copy of it sent back to my own blackberry.

I have looked at all the settings.... its got me at a loss....
Access your email accounts via mytmobile and within your gmail account settings apply a filter so any messages with the "From" field contain your name are filtered out.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

For the issue of the sent mail being sent back to you as new mail please see this post for the fix. It was posted above but I'll post again.

The fact that it shows in your "SMS" folder is merely the fact that it's not a dedicated "SMS" folder. It's a "Messages" folder where all messages, emails, sms, and mms messages get dumped. You may have a separate [email address] folder which filters out just those emails but, still, everything also dumps into the Messages folder.

Hope this helps.
John
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
jarodl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
For the issue of the sent mail being sent back to you as new mail please see this post for the fix. It was posted above but I'll post again.

The fact that it shows in your "SMS" folder is merely the fact that it's not a dedicated "SMS" folder. It's a "Messages" folder where all messages, emails, sms, and mms messages get dumped. You may have a separate [email address] folder which filters out just those emails but, still, everything also dumps into the Messages folder.

Hope this helps.
John
Thanks John. Is there anyway to setup a seperate SMS/MMS folder? Right now I have the general messages folder and a
[email address] folder. Do you have any idea why there is such a delay when receiving messages sent to my gmail account?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
boombacloud

I think Gmail is having issues today on some of their servers. I normally get instantaneous delivery, but for the last couple of hours, I've had a delay of 5+ minutes. It will probably work itself out. Be patient.

*edit* I just tested my account and I'm getting gmails pushed instantaneously now.

Last edited by boombacloud; 01-30-2007 at 11:05 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
militman5583
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PM Me
Carrier: T-mobile
Post Hope I can Help

I talked to a blackberry Rep about this Issue because i did not give it much thought but i have gmail and am doing the same thing. Basically he said that the icon on the phone which says your [email address] is a link to take you directly there on the web. If you want to look at the email via gmail then use that or anything else you wanna use through gmail. The SMS folder is where things will be sent to if they are forwarded because they have to go through another filter or server or something. The e-mail is not forwarded straight to the phone. From SMS mail(where it is forwarded to) you can view and reply to any e-mail though. You can also delete the email from there and your gmail. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 AM   #13
militman5583
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PM Me
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Delay

Sorry meant to put in last thread but I do not get a delay when using gmail at all. So maybe the server is bad right now like another post put.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 AM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by militman5583
I talked to a blackberry Rep about this Issue because i did not give it much thought but i have gmail and am doing the same thing. Basically he said that the icon on the phone which says your [email address] is a link to take you directly there on the web. If you want to look at the email via gmail then use that or anything else you wanna use through gmail. The SMS folder is where things will be sent to if they are forwarded because they have to go through another filter or server or something. The e-mail is not forwarded straight to the phone. From SMS mail(where it is forwarded to) you can view and reply to any e-mail though. You can also delete the email from there and your gmail. Hope that helps.
Not true. There are two ways to get GMail on your BB. You can set it up using the BIS (setup internet email icon.) This will give you a mail icon with [email address] on the homescreen. Your Gmail will be *pushed* to that folder automatically, and usually, almost immediately.

The other way to get GMail is to download the GMail application. This puts a "GMail" icon on your screen that opens into a mail viewer. When you open the app you must then *check* for new mail on the GMail server as it doesn't get automatically pushed to the device. I believe this is what the *Blackberry rep* was referring to. However, this is not what this thread was referring to. I believe the OP was referring to the GMail setup through BIS.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 AM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodl
Thanks John. Is there anyway to setup a seperate SMS/MMS folder? Right now I have the general messages folder and a
[email address] folder. Do you have any idea why there is such a delay when receiving messages sent to my gmail account?
There may be one or two themes that have separate SMS folders. You'd have to change themes as there is no way to change it within the theme.

I don't know why the delay with GMail. I noticed a delay a week or so ago....some were delayed by hours. It eventually worked itself out. GMail is usually nearly instant.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
jarodl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, GMail seems to be working now. Still annoying that my email messages show up in my messages box.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
wobly
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:
The other way to get GMail is to download the GMail application. This puts a "GMail" icon on your screen that opens into a mail viewer. When you open the app you must then *check* for new mail on the GMail server as it doesn't get automatically pushed to the device. I believe this is what the *Blackberry rep* was referring to. However, this is not what this thread was referring to. I believe the OP was referring to the GMail setup through BIS.
This is how I get my Gmail and it works great. I have my work email on the BB service and my Gmail working with their app. Never had any issues.

Visit gmail.com/app on your mobile web browser.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
Stanley Pain
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Setting up BIS to pop email from gmail (or any other POP for that matter) usually has about a 5-10 minute delay.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #19
boombacloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Pain
Setting up BIS to pop email from gmail (or any other POP for that matter) usually has about a 5-10 minute delay.
Not on mine. I have experienced the delay just the other day, but that was the first one since I originally set the phone up in late September. The delay was gone an hour or two after noticing it. Now, I have no delay and delivery is immediate.
Closed Thread