DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchao
sf can give his review, so can i or everyone here. if you like it, say you like it. i don't, so i said i don't. what is the big deal???????? i don't have problem with giving a review, i just don't think floating look due to the hump, heavier phone, and bigger phone is what 99.999999999999% of the ppl out there are going for. what's why phones or any personal electronics are getting smaller and lighter.

yes... you do get more juice, i give you that. just don't say floating is great, heavier is great, bigger is great, b/c that don't fly with anyone with an ounce of brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAddict8100
TChao, You are right everyone is entitled to their own review, the problem is your aren't just giving your review of the battery or your opinion, you are ridiculing SF and thats not the purpose of this site. Personally I've been a long time BB user and I couldn't wait for a multimedia friendly BB, well now I have it but I am also a very heavy user and though I have a spare battery I hate having to change it in the middle of something or caring a spare around. I am not into the looks of the phone, I wanted the functionality and though this battery is not suitable for you it is suitable for other people that aren't using the BB Pearl for the way it looks but the power a BB has to offer with the new capabilities. So in closing for some this may be too bulky and not worth it for others it maybe the answer they were waiting for, either way you can express yourself without insulting or ridiculing someone the way you have.
Well put, BBAddict. The other factor I'd note is - a "review" is someone's impressions and thoughts after having used the product. Its obvious SF is happy with his after using it. Dr.Jerry posted a review and he's not as happy, but he's used the product. Its obvious from his postings that tchao has not bought or used the product and has no intentions to. He's simply returning over and over to ridicule and belittle others here. If it acts like a troll and posts like a troll.........
Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #162
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
TChao, You are right everyone is entitled to their own review, the problem is your aren't just giving your review of the battery or your opinion, you are ridiculing SF and thats not the purpose of this site. Personally I've been a long time BB user and I couldn't wait for a multimedia friendly BB, well now I have it but I am also a very heavy user and though I have a spare battery I hate having to change it in the middle of something or caring a spare around. I am not into the looks of the phone, I wanted the functionality and though this battery is not suitable for you it is suitable for other people that aren't using the BB Pearl for the way it looks but the power a BB has to offer with the new capabilities. So in closing for some this may be too bulky and not worth it for others it maybe the answer they were waiting for, either way you can express yourself without insulting or ridiculing someone the way you have.
Why resurrect a 9-day old post, just to take it to task long after it's been forgotten?

Besides, scrutiny and critical thinking are values which we need more of, not less.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #163
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerry
It seems you have been experiencing what I was trying to describe above in my posts. With the extended battery in place...the door will not latch closed. If you push GENTLY up on the bottom of the battery hump...the door will lift up about 1-2mm. It will not come off...but it will lift up. The door does not sit well in the latch mechanism. Is this the same thing you are experiencing?
Sounds similar. Try it either without any battery in it, or with the smaller OEM battery. In my experience even the slightest amount of force will allow the cover to fall off if the larger battery is not in place to prevent the door from moving far enough to dislodge it. Again, it appears that it isn't engaging the locking mechanism of the 8100, which is a poor design itself, in my opinion.

It does appear that some of these work, so shouldn't be much of an issue to correct.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #164
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Here's another video of the extended battery cover in use with the standard battery.

This one better shows the amount of force needed to unlatch the cover while pushing on the lower part of the cover as mentioned by Dr. Jerry.

IMHO the cover is locked on to the Pearl as well as one can expect considering the Pearl's "flimsy" locking mechanism.

In any event, the Seidio cover definitely improves the locking, certainly as best as could be done with the latch that is on the Pearl. Take a look at the Pearl's latch, you can see it isn't much.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bpcover.AVI
San Fran...I can see from your video that your latch is actually engaging the cover. Mine does not do that. When I put the OEM battery on and the extended cover...and push much lighter than you are...it pops right off. Based on your video, it would seem that I got a bad cover. I thought it might be my latch, but the OEM cover fits tight and does latch in.
Cingular 8800
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #165
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccess
Sounds similar. Try it either without any battery in it, or with the smaller OEM battery. In my experience even the slightest amount of force will allow the cover to fall off if the larger battery is not in place to prevent the door from moving far enough to dislodge it. Again, it appears that it isn't engaging the locking mechanism of the 8100, which is a poor design itself, in my opinion.

It does appear that some of these work, so shouldn't be much of an issue to correct.

The OEM or no battery at all causes mine to pop right off. Take a look at San Fran's videos...it seems he got a better cover that actually engages the latch properly.
Cingular 8800
Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #166
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Well put, BBAddict. The other factor I'd note is - a "review" is someone's impressions and thoughts after having used the product. Its obvious SF is happy with his after using it. Dr.Jerry posted a review and he's not as happy, but he's used the product. Its obvious from his postings that tchao has not bought or used the product and has no intentions to. He's simply returning over and over to ridicule and belittle others here. If it acts like a troll and posts like a troll.........

I am in no way trying to tear apart the product or diss Seidio. I am providing first hand product experience as I see it. I am looking to inform and provide feedback in the hope that the company improves the product. That in turn benefits us all!
Cingular 8800
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #167
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
San Fran...I can see from your video that your latch is actually engaging the cover. Mine does not do that. When I put the OEM battery on and the extended cover...and push much lighter than you are...it pops right off. Based on your video, it would seem that I got a bad cover. I thought it might be my latch, but the OEM cover fits tight and does latch in.
I am glad the video has helped in addressing your issue.

Do you think it might be the latch on your Pearl?

Here are some pics of the Pearl's latch. There have been reports before that Members' latches on the Pearl did NOT operate well, meaning the springiness, so to speak, was not there. Or with some, the latch did not protrude much in its locked state.

Take a look at your latch and compare to these pics.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-31-2007 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #168
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
I am in no way trying to tear apart the product or diss Seidio. I am providing first hand product experience as I see it. I am looking to inform and provide feedback in the hope that the company improves the product. That in turn benefits us all!
Hey Dr.Jerry, I agree with you - and thought your first hand experience in the thread was very useful. I was trying to compare and contrast your postings, with legitimate first hand product experience (and without the adversarial tone) to others who have no first hand experience and show up to bash others here. The strength of BBF is that we do get to hear first hand experience from many - both positive and negative - which helps everyone. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #169
BBAddict8100
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Why resurrect a 9-day old post, just to take it to task long after it's been forgotten?

Besides, scrutiny and critical thinking are values which we need more of, not less.
Sorry to disappoint you, I was just reading through all the posts today and thought something should be said, I didn't know we were timed on when we could respond.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #170
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, I was just reading through all the posts today and thought something should be said, I didn't know we were timed on when we could respond.
Just a reasonable conclusion, particularly in light of "reading through all the posts".
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #171
Anthem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I am glad the video has helped in addressing your issue.

Do you think it might be the latch on your Pearl?

Here are some pics of the Pearl's latch. There have been reports before that Members' latches on the Pearl did NOT operate well, meaning the springiness, so to speak, was not there. Or with some, the latch did not protrude much in its locked state.

Take a look at your latch and compare to these pics.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...oExtLatch5.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...oExtLatch4.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...oExtLatch3.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...oExtLatch2.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/b...oExtLatch1.jpg
Hey SanFrancisco when did you put the piece of foam under the latch?

That may explain why yours latches a little tighter than others.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #172
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem
Hey SanFrancisco when did you put the piece of foam under the latch?

That may explain why yours latches a little tighter than others.
No, that does not explain it. That foam comes with the Pearl. Yours does not have it? If not, maybe it fell out, as some members have reported such happening. If yours is gone, oh well.

By the way, it is on all three Pearls I have.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #173
Anthem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
No, that does not explain it. That foam comes with the Pearl. Yours does not have it? If not, maybe it fell out, as some members have reported such happening. If yours is gone, oh well.

By the way, it is on all three Pearls I have.
I don't have the foam and my latch works great. I guess mine is a freak of nature since ALL Pearl's must come with one.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #174
Anthem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bump

Last edited by Anthem; 01-31-2007 at 11:16 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #175
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem
I don't have the foam and my latch works great. I guess mine is a freak of nature since ALL Pearl's come with one.
comments removed. Please refrain from insulting other members even in jest.
d_fisher

Last edited by d_fisher; 02-01-2007 at 12:13 AM..
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #176
cylryu2

Model: 8100

how much ?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #177
BBAddict8100
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Just a reasonable conclusion, particularly in light of "reading through all the posts".
I guess we need someone else to pick on or something else to fight about. !! Good Luck
Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #178
Tixxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

AHHHH! I just want to hear about the battery! :D
Old 02-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #179
Tixxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

So far I have gone 53 hours with the screen set to 100% and turning my phone off at night for 7 hours (2 nights so far) and my battery is at 64%. The original would be completely dead by now. I have about 3 hours of talk time and I have been setting it to turn off after 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. I check about 35 e-mails a day and write about 20.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #180
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixxx
So far I have gone 53 hours with the screen set to 100% and turning my phone off at night for 7 hours (2 nights so far) and my battery is at 64%. The original would be completely dead by now. I have about 3 hours of talk time and I have been setting it to turn off after 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. I check about 35 e-mails a day and write about 20.
When you are turning the phone off, what do you mean, pressing the mute button?

See my tests. But for using the phone all the time for more than talking, I have to think my battery would last over two weeks if I used it as a phone only.

I think yours will be at more than 64% once it cycles through a few charges [meaning use it down to zero, recharges, use down to zero, recharge].

Can't recall exactly, but I think a few "full charge/discharge" cycles are supposed to fine tune these lithium batteries.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-01-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Closed Thread