BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular
Default 7100g users: how's your screen holding up?

Please Login to Remove!

I've seen plenty of 7100t users who are complaining about scratches on their 7100t screen....I had a screenguards screen protector on my 7100g but I took it off tonight since the airbubbles/inconsistences in the material was driving me crazy.

Are there any 7100g users out there who have seen scratches develop? I ONLY carry it in the supplied holster so I hope that will help.

If it's really that susceptible...I'll buy another screen protector.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I think you wil be fine. I think the people who get scratches on the screen are usually people who put it in a pocket with keys and such. Since its still winter, I tend to carry it in my inner jacket pocket, but there is nothing else in that pocket.

But I can see how the 7100 screen is just asking to be scratched. It is so shiny and glossy compared to other phones. But in reality, the glass covering the screen is the screen protector.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
zbose

just to warn you, my RIM case that came with my 7100G scratched the hell out of the screen. I have a screen protector on it now and I can see where the stock holster rubs the protector. Maybe it varies from holster to holster, but I am certainly not going to use it without a screen protector.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
Zoinks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I wouldn't say its more susceptible to scratches than any other phone. The screen is huge, but the plastic quality is good.

I tried screen protectors as well. I didn't like how they affected the display so I'm protection free. I do, however, like to put two or three layers of wax on mine. Been doing this on my phones for years.

Can't say that the default case caused any scratches, but that vinyl is pretty crappy. I put mine in the case with the screen towards the hip, speaker out. The short side can be pushed into the screen the other way.

If it gets scratched, use some polishing compound. I like the 3M stuff.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/3mplaspol.html

I also suggest the ebay magnetic flip case. Had one for a few days and its awesome.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t

I have had my 7100g for a few weeks now and use www.screenguardz.com

I can see how the screen can get all scuffed up on the 7100g- it's big and shiny. The holster that came with the 7100g is not very soft and can scratch the screen. I bought a leather holster on ebay that seems to be a little easier on the unit when i pull it in and out.

Definitely use a screen protector. The link above has good ones and a trick with the screen protector is breathe heavy on the screen before you apply. Use a device to squeegee the air bubbles out until they are really tiny. The remaining bubbles usually go away after 24 hours. Don't try to get every little bubble out right after you put the screen guard on. Be patient- 99% of them will disappear eventually.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Valdoua
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon

I have had my 7100T for about a month. I bought some of those screen guards and I have not yet suffered any scratches!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
gsibble

Carrier: T-Mobile

My screen is holding up terribly. I have tons of scratches all over it. I always put it in its own pocket, but it still gets massive scratches. I hate it!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t

gsibble-

are you using a screen protector and it's still getting dinged up?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
ctdw

Model: 8820

I tried the 7100t screengaurdz protectors on my 7100g and they don't fit well. I also thought the screen was a lot less clear with them on. Has anyone tried the clear BoxWave 7100t protectors? I am wondering how they fit...seems like the indented screen (vs. being all flat) would make it hard to keep on.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

I have the screenguardz on my 7100t. The fit is good for the screen section - doesnt cover the entire plastic. they do have a slight tint to them so perhaps thats why you had visibility issues.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
davemayo

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I am using screenguardz on my 7100g. They fit fine for the width, but they are a tad long. That actually helps with removal because it gives you something to grab onto. My visibility is great with the screenguardz.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
BBmertz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Has anyone compared the Boxwave Clear Touch "crystal" versus "anti-glare" screen protectors on the 7100g? I am curious if the anti-glare screen protector makes it easier to read the screen outdoors and/or reduces the visibility of the screen indoors.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #13
utmtnbiker

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

I just got the Boxwave for the 7100t. I'm a big fan of their Cleartouch Crystals as I've been using them for my Axim x50v. I installed the one on the 7100t today and when the LCD is on, you can't even tell there's a protector there (assuming you've moved all of the bubbles off the screen). When the screen is off or dimmed, then you can tell there is a film there.

$15 (including shipping) is a lot for 1 screen protector but I've found these to be extremely durable. I purchased 3 for my Axim thinking I'd have to swap out every 6 months or so, but so far, that one's going strong, even after dropping the corner of my wife's metal compact on to it this weekend while I was rummaging through her purse (don't ask). It dented the Boxwave a little bit but I'm sure it would've cracked or chipped the screen if the Boxwave hadn't been there.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
BBmertz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I just received the Boxwave Cleartough Crystal for the 7100g, however it is much too long for the screen. It appears that it was designed for the 7100t and not modified to fit the 7100g. Too bad, since it seems like a high quality screen protector.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
kprosser

Carrier: Rogers

I use the Palm Brand screen protectors for the TREO and use a sharp pair of scissors to cut them to size. You cannot tell that there is a protector on there and they give excellent protection!
Old 04-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
proFeign

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
I've seen plenty of 7100t users who are complaining about scratches on their 7100t screen....I had a screenguards screen protector on my 7100g but I took it off tonight since the airbubbles/inconsistences in the material was driving me crazy.

Are there any 7100g users out there who have seen scratches develop? I ONLY carry it in the supplied holster so I hope that will help.

If it's really that susceptible...I'll buy another screen protector.
I have had a protector on my phone since the first day I had it. I have tried a number of different ones now and I HIGHLY recommend the ones made by Boxwave (Cleartouch) which don't fit, but I got the ones for the Dell Axim x30 PDA and cut to size. They kill the other ones I've tried. CUT THEM TO SIZE WITH NICE SCISSORS if you get them. DO NOT USE AN X-ACTO! It will ruin the adhesive on the edges (don't ask me why, but it cost me $10 to find that out). They stick great and hold up even better. I'm entirely unconcerned about my screen because of how sturdy their protectors are.

Also their customer service is absolutely terrific. :thumb:
Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #17
proFeign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBmertz
I just received the Boxwave Cleartough Crystal for the 7100g, however it is much too long for the screen. It appears that it was designed for the 7100t and not modified to fit the 7100g. Too bad, since it seems like a high quality screen protector.
I yelled at them and they were happy to take it back/offer a discount. They really did try to make it right and they are very responsive. See my previous post (above one).
Old 04-21-2005, 02:04 AM   #18
proFeign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks
I wouldn't say its more susceptible to scratches than any other phone. The screen is huge, but the plastic quality is good.

I tried screen protectors as well. I didn't like how they affected the display so I'm protection free. I do, however, like to put two or three layers of wax on mine. Been doing this on my phones for years.

Can't say that the default case caused any scratches, but that vinyl is pretty crappy. I put mine in the case with the screen towards the hip, speaker out. The short side can be pushed into the screen the other way.

If it gets scratched, use some polishing compound. I like the 3M stuff.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/3mplaspol.html

I also suggest the ebay magnetic flip case. Had one for a few days and its awesome.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW.
Can you put up a new link to the flip case? eBay is invalid now. I'd like to know which you're talking about.

Also thanks for the heads up on the 3M polishing compound. If there is ever a product that is offered that 3M makes and a competitor makes I will always buy the 3M one. Lots of experience here.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
Angie420

So, just wanna get this straight....even if you use the holster it came with and put it in screen side in, you still get tons of scratches?

I hate screen protectors, and I just got my 7100t today...I gotta take care of my baby
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

it depends on how rough you are. if you're gentle, you won't get a scratch on it. its just most people don't give a shit about their phone until it starts getting scratches.