Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
dont h8me
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Default My Bluetooth Headset Review

Please Login to Remove!

I don't post much, almost never, but I'm a lurker and appreiate all the great information I have found here.

This week I decided to get a headset and in my quest, I tried 4 different headsets and settled on one.
1. Plantronics 640. This headset fit great. I could hardly tell it was on my head. I have smallish ears so I was a little concerned with in the ear designs but with the included earclip, it felt great. The problem? A lot of background noise that those I was talking too said while they could hear me, they also could hear a lot of white noise in the background. While I am not a perfectionist, I don't want the people I am talking to distracted by background noise.

2. Plantronics 510. Ok, this thing got great reviews on CNET. (I wouldn't trust CNET by the way but I would trust the user reviews on CNET as well as NEWEGG.) First of all, it is HUGE. I can understand why the sound quality is excellent because it looks huge. The fit was poor, again I have smallish ears, and even CNET says that it feels a little loose. I drop enough stuff so the last thing I need is to have a headset that I can drop and break. Sound quality was excellent but you have to understand something about noise cancelling technology. When it is cancelling the noixe, it also cuts into your voice so your speech can sound choppy. If you have a larger ear, and dont mind the size, this one is a good headset.

3. Motorola H700. This headset was super light. I liked that it doesnt go on unles you flip the boom to talk. I did not like the fit. It hurt after about 30 minutes. ANd it felt very loose on my ear unless I really pushed it into my ear. The sound was ok and the noise cancelling seemed to work sometimes (in the car) but not other times (on a street).

4. Motorola H300. This had decent sound, decent fit BUT it was heavy. For $39.99 with a $10 coupon at Office Depot, it miht work for you if you dont mind the size. The over the ear design means that you won't hear the caller you are talking to that well because ambient noise will "leak" in.

What did I learn? That headset are truly a personal choice because every ear is different. I got to the point that what was important ot me was in the following order:
- sound qualit both in and out
- fit
- weight
- price
- look
SOme headsets that others think are great others will hate because the fit isn't that great. And how it fits will greatly affect the sound quality.

SO, what did I end up with? The Jawbone. Got the last one at the Cingular store. I am going to try it out today and will post another review if people want me to. I already dont like it's charger but that is a small thing and not even on my priority list.

Cheers!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
MikeyLikesIt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: Nope
Carrier: Cingular (8700c?)

I'll be watching for your update. I have a Motorola cheapie and I'm hoping I step on it or something similar so that I can replace it, but don't know what to replace it with. Keep us posted.

Mikey
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
dont h8me

Model: 8700
Default Update - JAWBONE ROCKS

Ok, SO I have had the Jawbone glued to my ear for 48 blissful hours. Wow. I like the fit, the sounds, and of course the noise reduction rocks. I showed my wife the difference with the noise reduction on and off and she couldn't beleive it. I know some users have reported a tinny sound but I cannot duplicate it.

Jawbone ships 4 custimizable (is that a word?) ear pieces and ear buds. If you cannot find a good fit than you must be the son of the bride of Frankenstein.

I can hardly tell I am wearing it and a number of people have said how cool it looks, which while it is not at the top of my list, it is nice none the less.

If you can find one, buy it. I love it and I am very picky. Look at how many I went through!

If you want more details, pm me.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
mcevoys

Model: 8703e
Default Yep

I can validate your tests of the Jawbone. Had mine for about a month...best headset I've had yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

ive had the 640, 655, and now the HS655.. i cant say enough good things about plantronics.. hands down very good products and probably one of the best customer service available
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
MI_BB_TECH

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon
Cool Dude! Get a Jabra!!!

I was surprised that none of you have mentioned what a great headset Jabra puts out? I currently own the model 250v (V means vibrates) I too have weird shaped ears and found this model to be EXTREMELY comfortable.
It comes with a plastic bag full of different size ear pieces so it may even fit the ear of the son of the "Bride of Frankenstein". I originally paid about $99 bucks for it but I see they're going for MUCH less now that Jabara announce its new line.

My friends have often asked "Are you on your office phone" because it is so clear that it doesn't sound like I'm on my BlackBerry.

I too have tried the Motorola style headsets and my complaint was the same as yours... after a few minutes they hurt like hell and I had a hard time hearing what people were saying unless I put one hand to the ear it was on!
(Lotta good that does when you're trying to drive)

Anyhoo... Check out the Jabra line if you get the chanceQ
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
rncolon

Model: 8700c

i have the jawbone, a little pricey but it is new..

As for it's feature, yes good sound quality, different earpiece/buds, but that freaking rubber cover for the charger connector keeps on falling off and I WILL loose it sooner or later, then get crap in thru there..

R
Closed Thread