Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
maschievano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone
Exclamation Voltage crypto solution for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone knows more on the Voltage crypto Solution for Blackberry?
I see on the site that this service works only with Exchange and BES 3.6, but if I open the datasheet the soution is shown in compatibility with Notes.

I need it for Domino and Bes 4.0

http://www.voltage.com/products/blackberry.htm

Last edited by maschievano; 04-28-2005 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: error in title
Old 05-01-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
maschievano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschievano
Does anyone knows more on the Voltage crypto Solution for Blackberry?
I see on the site that this service works only with Exchange and BES 3.6, but if I open the datasheet the soution is shown in compatibility with Notes.

I need it for Domino and Bes 4.0

http://www.voltage.com/products/blackberry.htm
noone needs crypto emailing solution?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Actually, this is the first I've heard of it... I looks interesting, but while it doesn't require any software on the Blackberry device itself, it does seem to require some back-end infrastructure to support it. I haven't dug into their web-site deeply, but I'm assuming this is some kind of PKI S/MIME type of solution, which means that some key management would be required at some point in the process as well.

Again, I haven't read all of the details yet, but I get the impression that it effectively uses native Blackberry-to-BES communications (with 3DES/AES encryption et al), to transmit the message to the BES, at which point it's re-wrapped into an S/MIME message for further transmission.

Are you aware that RIM also provides an S/MIME solution? I've been looking into this one as well, although I don't personally haven't been able to get my hands on a copy to evaluate yet... RIM seems to be billing it primarily as a "Government" security solution but I have a number of corporate clients such as law firms who would have an application for this as well.

The major difference with the RIM solution is that all key management is done on the handheld (which is part what the "Certificate Sync" tool is for in Desktop Manager 4.0, as well as the various key management tools on the handheld that you can find under "Options"). As I understand it, this adds options like "Sign" and "Encrypt" when composing messages on the Blackberry itself. The message therefore leaves the Blackberry as an S/MIME encrypted message (in addition to be wrapped over-the-air with the normal encryption), and simply travels out through the BES and the Exchange infrastructure as any message normally would.

You can find more info on RIM's solution at http://www.blackberry.net/solutions/...security.shtml
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
maschievano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh
Actually, ...
Yes, already readed about it, but all the solution that rim provide are for exchange and not for Domino.
Domino have an internal crypto solution, but this is not compatible with blackberry.
Lot's of solution for exchange: PGP Universal, Voltage, S/MIME, PKI Server, RTCVA
None of solution for Domino... and look for the case of destiny: i need it for Domino
Closed Thread