zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalaser View Post
Ok, now I am scared. I did a backup (of the data - I know the standard 'backup and restore' does not back up the blackberry OS - just the data) then used JL-CMDR to wipe the backberry (it is now totally wiped). I have installed the original desktop software onto my PC that came with the Blackberry and there is nothing in application loader.

So, Nothing on my Blackberry and apparently no way to put the operating system back on it.

Desktop manager recongnises the USB of the blackberry but I can't see any way to put the OS back.
i know that here in the us, tmo has the desktop manager and os posted on their site, you can probably find the same for tmo uk, i would download those and use them to restore your OS.

i haven't tried the new OS yet, i figure i'll hang around and wait for tmo to update their links when they r sure it'll work fine on pearls they sell. if it was absolutely necessary for me to have the latest OS, i'd do it, but it's not so i'm happy with what i'm running.

so i've taken the cautious approach with this phone....it already is capable of alot more than any other phone i've owned....so i'm happy.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #682
megalaser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile uk

Can you please tell me how to put an OS on my blackberry? I now have a very expensive paperweight. It didn't offer to downgrade and now there is nothing on the blackberry and nothing in application loader . . . . . thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #683
megalaser

All I get in application loader (greyed out is): The Blackberry Desktop software does not have Blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.

Total application space 0k

Tried with the desktop software that came on the original CD and also with the Italian upgrade software installed and I only get the above greyed out message in application loader and my blackberry is now wiped.

Great.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #684
H-bomb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Can you please tell me how to put an OS on my blackberry? I now have a very expensive paperweight. It didn't offer to downgrade and now there is nothing on the blackberry and nothing in application loader . . . . . thanks
Don't fear; you don't have a paperweight...

1. Download and install a BB OS onto your computer. If you're using the one for your carrier that's all you have to do. If not, then delete the vendor.xml file. Look here for more info if you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...-4-2-only.html

2. Connect your BB to your computer and launch Desktop Manager. Start the application loader tool. Apploader will find your BB and give you the option of installing the OS back onto it. I don't remember the specific steps, but I think all you have to do is keep clicking "next".

3. Be patient. Loading the OS takes a while and might appear to freeze. 99% of the time it recovers on its own.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #685
megalaser

Thanks but it ain't happening - I have tried deleting the vendor file but still the application loader does not jump into action and try to install any OS. I have also tried downloading the blackberry.alx and platform.alx files and the application loader just tells me that 'no additional applications designed for my device have been found'

I have both the update Italian and original desktop software on my PC but neither offers to install an OS on application loader . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-bomb View Post
Don't fear; you don't have a paperweight...

1. Download and install a BB OS onto your computer. If you're using the one for your carrier that's all you have to do. If not, then delete the vendor.xml file. Look here for more info if you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...-4-2-only.html

2. Connect your BB to your computer and launch Desktop Manager. Start the application loader tool. Apploader will find your BB and give you the option of installing the OS back onto it. I don't remember the specific steps, but I think all you have to do is keep clicking "next".

3. Be patient. Loading the OS takes a while and might appear to freeze. 99% of the time it recovers on its own.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #686
wani

Carrier: T-Mobile Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle View Post
It will work fine. Are you using English on your phone? You can go back. You need to find the installable package for your currrent OS, though.
i am using german on it. this fw is multilanguage, what languages are there supported?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #687
megalaser

Finally got application loader to install the OS (Italian upgrade version) and now just back to my original problem again . . . . . . no internet connection.

I am wondering if there is anybody out there who is with T-Mobile UK and has performed this OS upgrade and still has an internet connection working on their Pearl? I think there is an incompatibility between this upgrade and T-Mobile UK which kills the internet connection on the devices because mine has done this again, on a totally clean install onto a wiped blackberry.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 AM   #688
megalaser

Hi, I need to downgrade the OS back to the old version because this new Italian one kills the internet connection (T-Mobile UK). I have tried to do this by removing the upgraded desktop software from my PC and installing the one from the CD that came with the Blackberry then removing the vendor.xml file. The problem I have that application loader is not offering to downgrade the OS . . .

Do you know if there are different types of desktop software installs, (ie: with and without the device OS software?) - maybe I am using a version of the desktop software WITHOUT the device OS install integrated?

I need to downgrade to get my internet connection working again - any help appreciated.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #689
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Hi, I need to downgrade the OS back to the old version because this new Italian one kills the internet connection (T-Mobile UK). I have tried to do this by removing the upgraded desktop software from my PC and installing the one from the CD that came with the Blackberry then removing the vendor.xml file. The problem I have that application loader is not offering to downgrade the OS . . .

Do you know if there are different types of desktop software installs, (ie: with and without the device OS software?) - maybe I am using a version of the desktop software WITHOUT the device OS install integrated?

I need to downgrade to get my internet connection working again - any help appreciated.
drop into your tmo store and have them reload it 4 u.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #690
jp03

Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Megalaser

Hi

Before you thry to re-load or downgrade.

Try re-sending the service books

And try options - advanced options - Host Routing table - menu button - register now - do this for each record in the list.

Good luck

Daniel
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #691
swoosh0217

PIN: 23DF2F34
Carrier: tmobile

I want to download the new software but when I got to the registration part, I can't select the country and it keeps saying loading from my pearl. I tried to refresh and still doing the samething. Need help...

Last edited by swoosh0217; 04-26-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Old 04-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #692
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

finally got it to work by using the "don't back up" option.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #693
megalaser

The big problem I have now is that I performed the OS upgrade on my Pearl and now the browser cannot connect to the internet, I only get the message:

xxx8216;Unable to connect to the Internet, Please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service providerxxx8217;.

I also have Opera intstalled and that wonxxx8217;t connect either. All other connections on the Pearl are OK, I can receive emails ect.

Tried changing the APN/TCP settings to no avail, it just wonxxx8217;t connect to the Internet since the upgrade. I am with T-Mobile UK. Any advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

Simon
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #694
MyPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgab View Post
Are you using recurring appointments, or recurring tasks? My calendar recurrences work fine. But the Tasks do not.

Thus far I have not found anyone that can confirm that they have ever used a recurring Task, and RIM has confirmed to me that this is broken functionality.

Please let me know if the latest OS release solves this problem.

Thanks!
I use recurring tasks and it works fine for me now. at first i thought it was buggy. then i learned i need to mark taks completed when done. only then will BB mmake a new task to replace it per the recurrence time set... hope this helps

Last edited by MyPearl; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #695
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

So I installed yesterday evening without any issues at all. I did however have a brain fart and not choose backup/restore after installation so I then went and restored from my yesterdays backup (from the old version though). Still no issues. Made and received several calls last night and this morning still without issue. A bit before lunch today my phone rang and I looked to see who it was and as I was about to answer I got an error and so I could not answer or do anything no matter how much I clicked "OK". After trying 4 reboots (battery removals) I just left the battery out until I got home. I re-installed and got through start up then as soon as I went to call my voice mail I got "Uncaught Exception Error". I then reinstalled the previous Tmo version of the OS and restored then installed the new version and UPGRADED everything this time but ended with the same result - Either exception or java errors every boot. So I then reinstalled the previous Tmo OS version and restored again and am now posting this. The one thing I loved was being able to turn off the auto dim!!! I hope BlackBerry's (Tmo's) next authorized release has that option!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #696
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hi

Before you thry to re-load or downgrade.

Try re-sending the service books

And try options - advanced options - Host Routing table - menu button - register now - do this for each record in the list.

Good luck

Daniel

It doesn't do any good to Register Now on each line on the list. One Register Now will work regardless of which line you have highlighted.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #697
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh0217 View Post
I want to download the new software but when I got to the registration part, I can't select the country and it keeps saying loading from my pearl. I tried to refresh and still doing the samething. Need help...
Are you downloading to your PC?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #698
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:

To downgrade simply uninstall the OS from your PC by going to Control Panel, Settings, Add/Remove programs. Then download and install to your PC the OS from your carrier's website. Then plug in the BB and run Application Loader. It will downgrade. You can also wipe with JL_Cmder first before connecting back to the PC and it will load the OS fresh.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #699
babyLemon

Carrier: Cingular

Hmmm... pocket mac doesn't seem to work with the new OS version (I am using the telstra version). Telenav doesn't seem to work either (but that might also be because I didn't get the premium service? hmmm). But yeah, My question is, what should I do to have pocket mac work with my phone again?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #700
megalaser

Thanks - did the downgrade, in fact tried quite a few different versions of the OS and all of them left me with the same original problem: No internet connection.

Also one new problem has emerged: my 2gb Mcro SD card make the 8100 go nuts (power rapidly cycles on and off until the card is removed - the 128gb card is fine - the 2gb card works fine in my 8800).
Closed Thread