Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange
Question Exchange My Mail

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!!! I'm fairly new with my BB 8700g and since I got it last year (December) I've been trying to arrange OTA synchronization for my calendar and task and I understand that I need to be connected to an exchange server or equal to it, but it's to darn expensive for 1 user.

I've been reading around and found that with "Exchange my mail" this could be done since this company provides the host server part of the connectivity, but they've advice me to get BES instead of BIS in order to get the ability of OTA synchronization with my BB.

I'm curious to know if this is correct and if it really as simply as it sounds.

Anyone using this service?????

Regards,
Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
fiffer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

pretty much any hosted Exchange provider will work for what you are looking for. I have heard good things about Exchange my mail. I personally use The Message Center and they have been great.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Smile BIS accounts on BES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiffer View Post
pretty much any hosted Exchange provider will work for what you are looking for. I have heard good things about Exchange my mail. I personally use The Message Center and they have been great.
Thank you for the information. But just to be safe, do I need anything else with T-mobile besides the BES service?? Also will I still be able to have more then 1 account on the BB like with BIS? Now I've got 7 email accounts.

Thank again.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
doublestack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by burriqui2001 View Post
Hello!!! I'm fairly new with my BB 8700g and since I got it last year (December) I've been trying to arrange OTA synchronization for my calendar and task and I understand that I need to be connected to an exchange server or equal to it, but it's to darn expensive for 1 user.

I've been reading around and found that with "Exchange my mail" this could be done since this company provides the host server part of the connectivity, but they've advice me to get BES instead of BIS in order to get the ability of OTA synchronization with my BB.

I'm curious to know if this is correct and if it really as simply as it sounds.

Anyone using this service?????

Regards,
I have been using EMM for about 6 weeks. Their customer service is second to none. I highly recommend them for your BES hosting. You won't be sorry. I believe they have a promo for forum members. If still valid, it may save you a buck or two a month.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
fiffer

You will need a data plan from T- Mobile. You can only have 1 BES account per phone. If the other email accounts are IMAP and POP you should be able to put them on the phone with out a problem.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok...but I don't have access to DNS servers or anything like it. I just want the BES to be able to sync OTA for my outlook information. I use the BB for work but my company does not provide the BES server. Still you recommend the message center or EMM???

Cheers!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
fiffer

with the message center you need to have your own domain and access to the MX records so this would not be a good solution for you. I'm not familiar with EM M as they are not the Exchange hosting company I use, maybe someone who is more familiar with them can chime in. A BES solution is still your best bet if you want to sync calender, tasks, contacts, mail, etc OTA. If you just want mail then BIS would be a better solution.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you very much. I'll try with EMM and see how it goes. It appears that they've got a 30 day trial.

Regards,
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
kitmoni

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

EMM will let you go month-to-month. Their service is second to NONE, you can have multiple accounts (only one will BES sync), and you do not have to have your own DNS. I used them while in transition from an Exchange BES to a Domino BES and they are worth twice what they charge.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Exchangemymail.com is far and away the best out there, I have one other company and while they were ok, EMM is top shelf all the way around. all you have to have is a company e-mail address, ex. [email address] and you can use their services. If you let whoever helps you know that you are unfamiliar with there services they will walk you through the setup all the way... good luck...

one more thing, make sure you have enterprise class blackberry plan from t-mobile, if you look on tmo's website you will see they have 2 different blackberry plans, BIS and BES

Last edited by junior1790; 05-03-2007 at 08:33 AM..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I know MailStreet can do a split domain setup by using mail forwarding (if you don't have access to DNS). However, if you're trying to get OTA sync with your work account it still isn't really a suitable solution as forwarding only addresses mail and not other items.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-03-2007 at 02:52 PM..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I know MailStreet can do a split domain setup by using mail forwarding (if you don't have access to DNS). However, if you're trying to get OTA sync with your work account it still isn't really a suitable solution as forwarding only addresses mail and not other items.
I use a split domain with MailStreet for my work address and it works fine; no need to change DNS or MX records. No one at my office even knows I use a hosted Exchange account. They just wonder how I respond to e-mail so quickly when I'm out of the office. Calendar and contacts all sync just fine and e-mail works precisely as it should. I love MailStreet.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

EMM does all my ota syncing perfectly
Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
Exchangemymail.com is far and away the best out there, I have one other company and while they were ok, EMM is top shelf all the way around. all you have to have is a company e-mail address, ex. [email address] and you can use their services. If you let whoever helps you know that you are unfamiliar with there services they will walk you through the setup all the way... good luck...

one more thing, make sure you have enterprise class blackberry plan from t-mobile, if you look on tmo's website you will see they have 2 different blackberry plans, BIS and BES
Thank you very much!! I've set up the service today and its great!! I can't beging to discribe how happy I'm of this service and the push of the emails...its really in real time.

Thank you very much to all for the feed back.

Regards,
MR
Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
gadgetjunkies

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin View Post
I use a split domain with MailStreet for my work address and it works fine; no need to change DNS or MX records. No one at my office even knows I use a hosted Exchange account. They just wonder how I respond to e-mail so quickly when I'm out of the office. Calendar and contacts all sync just fine and e-mail works precisely as it should. I love MailStreet.
My company will not alow the use of a non company issued device on their system so I cannot get my work email. Are you saying that with Mailstreet's service you can by just forwarding your work email?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
My company will not alow the use of a non company issued device on their system so I cannot get my work email. Are you saying that with Mailstreet's service you can by just forwarding your work email?
Yes, that's how it essentially works. You contact MailStreet, sign up for an account (they have a free trial) and give them your work's domain name. They'll set up an account and you'll have forward your work address to this: [email address]. And voila. All your Exchange contacts, calendar entries, and e-mails sync in real time. E-mails sent from your device appear to be from [email address].

I've used this setup for more than two years and it works perfectly.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

I'm rather surprised nobody has mentioned Link2Exchange's hosting. I've been with them for at least 6-7 months, and I haven't incurred a moment of downtime (at least not because of them, it's usually my device that goes bonkers for a minute). Jason, in the support department, is awesome. He always deals with my stupid annoying questions and helps me reset my activation if something goes haywire.

If you incur any issues with EMM, and need to switch, I HIGHLY recommend Link2Exchange. Amazing people, and their prices are outstanding.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #18
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiffer View Post
Question: with their full mailbox ($9.95) do you have OWA access as well as direct Outlook access? Their $8.95 BES price is very competitive.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Question: with their full mailbox ($9.95) do you have OWA access as well as direct Outlook access? Their $8.95 BES price is very competitive.
That BES price is pretty good. The Hosted Exchange price depends on your Mailbox allowance. Since I get a lot of attachments via email (some people like to attach 6mb pdf's.... ) I needed to go above the starting plan of 100mb.

With Link2Exchange, I pay $14.95/month for 400mb of storage, and $9.95/month for BES. If you switch to a WM device, you get free ActiveSync.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of finding a Hosting company with an outstanding Support department. Before you sign up, ask to speak to their support department, and find out their hours. Also, ask them about downtime with their Exchange and BES. Find out if they send an auto-notice when you come close to your disk quota. Ask if they have a knowledge base on their site that customizes the information when you login (as in, if you can enter your hosting account name and get account-specific info.).

These are all things to seriously consider. The sales departments will always be nice, and are usually available for longer hours than support. Once you are setup, you won't need sales, you'll rely on the Support guys to get you through difficult technical situations.

EDIT: Also, you may want to also consider making sure they provide a copy of Outlook 2003, or preferably 2007. I know L2E gives at least a 2-seat 2003 and 2007 copy. They also provide the download. (Sorry to keep selling L2E on you guys. I tend to help out those who have been good to me.)

Last edited by FroogleThis; 05-04-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #20
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
That BES price is pretty good. The Hosted Exchange price depends on your Mailbox allowance. Since I get a lot of attachments via email (some people like to attach 6mb pdf's.... ) I needed to go above the starting plan of 100mb.

With Link2Exchange, I pay $14.95/month for 400mb of storage, and $9.95/month for BES. If you switch to a WM device, you get free ActiveSync.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of finding a Hosting company with an outstanding Support department. Before you sign up, ask to speak to their support department, and find out their hours. Also, ask them about downtime with their Exchange and BES. Find out if they send an auto-notice when you come close to your disk quota. Ask if they have a knowledge base on their site that customizes the information when you login (as in, if you can enter your hosting account name and get account-specific info.).

These are all things to seriously consider. The sales departments will always be nice, and are usually available for longer hours than support. Once you are setup, you won't need sales, you'll rely on the Support guys to get you through difficult technical situations.

EDIT: Also, you may want to also consider making sure they provide a copy of Outlook 2003, or preferably 2007. I know L2E gives at least a 2-seat 2003 and 2007 copy. They also provide the download. (Sorry to keep selling L2E on you guys. I tend to help out those who have been good to me.)
Great info. Thanks for sharing.

TMC says they provide a copy of Outlook (currently using Outlook 2003). I use two different laptops so a 2-seat copy is important.

The only thing holding me back for hosted exchange is my concern about the memos I keep on my BB. They contain some credit card account info and other vital details of my life. Now since I sync locally via BT to Outlook there is less of a chance of the info getting leaked.

On a hosted exchange server that info could be mined since its on their servers. Any suggestions?
Closed Thread