Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Telstra
Default My take on my new Curve 8300 in Australia

Please Login to Remove!

Well, i live in Australia and just recieved my O2 Curve from the UK, locked.

I would like to make a few observations, some which have not been talked much about yet.

1. The phone size is exactly like it is in the pictures you have seen, a little smaller than the 8800 and a little bigger than the Pearl. Many people say it's smaller than in photos, which doesn't make sense to me.

2. Construction is great, especially compared to my squeeky 8800 and back-cover losing Pearl. Though not quite as sturdy as the 7290 series and previous, it is really sturdy with absolutely no play in the phone pushing on any sides. Back cover is virtually faultless with a very very tiny bit of movement on the sides, but it doesn't slide.

3. Keypad is slightly easier to use than the 8800, but not by much. Pretty much like the 8700, but then I've never had an issue moving from an 8700 to my 8800. I find the 8800 keypad to be totally fine. Much better than what most people assume. Unfortunately, when you press a key, there is a little movement in the every key as they are all connected. This is a little annoying, but once you get over it, it doesn't really affect typing.

4. The Pearl has virtually no feedback when pushing it to make menu selections. This is something I will need to get used to, and compared to the Pearl and 8800, it is a very poor design. Going from one device to the next is a challenge, but over time, I'm sure it will become the norm.

Those are my initial observations. So the question many people are asking is, "Is it worth upgrading from the 8800?"

My answer is "Maybe." If you are happy with the size and look (which is better) of the 8800, and can put up with the sqeekyness (or don't have a squeeky one), then no, stick with your phone and wait for the 9000 series.

So if you are like me and can't stand the sqeeky feeling of the 8800, and don't mind the movement in the keyboard, and lack of feedback when pushing on the pearl of the Curve, and more amatuer look, then the Curve is the way to go.

As I haven't unlocked it yet and must wait till the 5 June, I cannot comment beyond this. Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401
Carrier: T-Mobile

Great review! Thanks for posting! I'm waiting for my Curve to arrive tomorrow, and also waiting the unlock code.

Per #4 above... I've been through about a dozen or so 8100s, including the black and white variants. I've noticed that each one has had different characteristics for feedback when you push in the Pearl to make a selection. My white 8100 (the newest) has had the most feedback. My earliest 8100 (which I purchased from T-Mobile on 9/12) had minimal feedback. I recently switched back to my black 8100 (which is one of the newer ones, with the myFaves logo silkscreened on the back), and there is a noticeable difference between the Pearl on that one and the white one. I think the country of manufacture also has something to do with it, as the parts are probably sourced from different suppliers. (So far I'm aware that the handsets have been manufactured in Canada, Mexico and Hungary.)

Like you said, it takes some getting used to... but as long as it works, that's what counts. I've noticed sometimes the way I push the Pearl and my finger's position has an effect on how it feels.

As for the keyboard, my 8700 did the same thing... I guess you just get used to it...

Last edited by jaronbrass; 05-29-2007 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

By the way - I'm just curious. Where was yours manufactured?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
nosrac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: monacell
Default can you tell me where you got your unlock code.

Can you tell me where you got your unlock code

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronbrass View Post
Great review! Thanks for posting! I'm waiting for my Curve to arrive tomorrow, and also waiting the unlock code.

Per #4 above... I've been through about a dozen or so 8100s, including the black and white variants. I've noticed that each one has had different characteristics for feedback when you push in the Pearl to make a selection. My white 8100 (the newest) has had the most feedback. My earliest 8100 (which I purchased from T-Mobile on 9/12) had minimal feedback. I recently switched back to my black 8100 (which is one of the newer ones, with the myFaves logo silkscreened on the back), and there is a noticeable difference between the Pearl on that one and the white one. I think the country of manufacture also has something to do with it, as the parts are probably sourced from different suppliers. (So far I'm aware that the handsets have been manufactured in Canada, Mexico and Hungary.)

Like you said, it takes some getting used to... but as long as it works, that's what counts. I've noticed sometimes the way I push the Pearl and my finger's position has an effect on how it feels.

As for the keyboard, my 8700 did the same thing... I guess you just get used to it...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosrac View Post
Nosrac,
I haven't received it yet, but ordered it from MrUnlock.com on Friday. Several other forum members (and I) have ordered from various companies. We're still waiting for our codes. I was promised a 2-3 day turnaround time for mine from MrUnlock. Others have delays ranging from a few days to June 5. In any event, the common denominator is that we all have the devices but can't yet use them.

It's down the to the wire... whichever company gets the codes to us first - and they work - will have the notoriety associated with being prominently mentioned here in various threads. Which, since it appears many are purchasing the O2-locked Curves, would more than likely mean increased business for them.

If they're listening... they know what to do!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
nosrac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: monacell

Thanks

Quote:
Nosrac,
I haven't received it yet, but ordered it from MrUnlock.com on Friday. Several other forum members (and I) have ordered from various companies. We're still waiting for our codes. I was promised a 2-3 day turnaround time for mine from MrUnlock. Others have delays ranging from a few days to June 5. In any event, the common denominator is that we all have the devices but can't yet use them.

It's down the to the wire... whichever company gets the codes to us first - and they work - will have the notoriety associated with being prominently mentioned here in various threads. Which, since it appears many are purchasing the O2-locked Curves, would more than likely mean increased business for them.

If they're listening... they know what to do!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #7
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
By the way - I'm just curious. Where was yours manufactured?
Mine was manufactured in Canada.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosrac View Post
I ordered my unlock code from GSMPHONESOURCE and it will be provided to me on June 5th.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Something I'd like to add. The keypad movement really doens't have any affect on typing. Infact you don't really notice it unless you look more closely.

Even though this phone is very well constructed, it is lighter and feels a lesser quality in the hand compared to the 8800. Only when you squeeze, do you notice the 8800 is of lesser construction......starting to lean towards my 8800 to be honest, looks much better IMHO.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another thing to add....the key on the side of the phone are quite poor. They sit quite flush on the phone and like the pearl ball, offer very little feedback as a result, especially the volume and right convenience buttons.

This is definitely a good phone and probably the most well rounded device as a compromise between size, features and construction, BUT, definitely over-rated by most on the NET. RIM should not be praised for releasing a phone that is built well, when they should have done so with the Pearl and 8800.

Sure they have made some nice improvements, but they should not be praised, it should be expected that they finally get their act 'back together'.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, like all things, the 8300 will most likely be fine-tuned over time. In addition, regional differences could also be a factor, as well. The 8100's I've owned have been built in Canada, Mexico and Hungary. The Mexico models seemed to be the best built. My white 8100 came from Hungary, and I went through 4(!) before even walking out of the T-Mobile store.

In order:
#1 - the screen was severely skewed to the right.
#2 - the bottom plastic piece (with the T-Mobile logo) wasn't flush, and couldn't be forced into place.
#3 - same as #2, just worse.
#4 - the trackball would allow directional navigation, but would not "click" to confirm or select an option.

The manager at the store was absolutely shocked that there was apparently little or no quality control done on these devices. Based on the PIN numbers (which were semi-sequential) and the date codes on the printed exterior label, they were all manufactured around the same time.

So, the point is, depending on where the phone is made, or where on the line it is, could mean the resulting quality. Later models may (or may not) have better feedback in the buttons because different switches were used, or, if the phones are built elsewhere, the switches could be sourced from different suppliers.

It'll be interesting to see what users on other carriers report... O2 may have the first batch, Vodafone a later batch, AT&T a later batch, etc.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Uhh Ohh, looks like there are some chinks in the chain with the Curve build quality after all! After hearing countless reports of unbelievable build quaility, it's interesting to hear some of the negatives.
I've gone through about 4 or so 8800's, most had the famous squeek (some really bad) but the one I'm using now is basically squeek free and everything works just fine. So I guess the true question will be, is it worth it to really switch to the Curve? I will definitly buy it when it drops in the US because like most I like having the newest stuff, and I really like the Camera idea! But I will not let myself get nuts and start examining every little detail like I did with the 8800. If I jive with the Curve, GREAT! If not I'll return it and just realize just how good my (5th) 8800 really is after all!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let me put it this way. i believe (from much blackberry experience) that my Curve is pretty much as good as it's gonna get for a Curve, and does not have any manufacturing deficiencies, except for maybe the trackball.

Even though the 880 squeeks, the back cover is better than the curve, as the Curve is just a more improved version of the Pearl back cover, which isn't the best design.

My advice for people who prefer the look of the 8800, is to look for a good one. Put the two together and the 8800 is the more professional, better looking and better feeling device (when not squeezed). the keyboard on the Curve is good, but no better than the 8700, so those raving about it before using it are dreaming. The 7290 and prior had the best keyboards, and for modern day Blackberry standards, there is nothing wrong with the 8800's keyboard in actual usage. Yes, the Curve is maybe slightly easier to use, but only just, not to justify the purchase alone.

Blackberry 8800 owners, make sure you play with a Curve extensively prior to changing to the Curve, as the upgrade is minimal, and like going backwards in some ways.

if you need the camera, and need a slightly smaller size, and lighter weight, then the Curve is the go. And yes, it's nice not to have squeeks. Maybe after using it properly once it's unlocked, I may change my mind, but at the moment, I'm happy looking at my new toy and using my machine, the 8800.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Looks like the first objective review of the curve. Everything I have read so far qualifies for fanboism. I'm still goign to get one just to say I had one.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Looks like the first objective review of the curve. Everything I have read so far qualifies for fanboism. I'm still goign to get one just to say I had one.
Funny you should say that cause that was also my rationale.....hehe
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another note: Sound quality playing MP3's

Sounds is good, but NO EQ option is a very poor effort!

Volume is low, good for a quiet room with Open and Closed headphones, but only about 70% of max volume playing against the same MP3 file on an Ipod.

Plus, will only play MP3's so to take songs from my Itunes library, means I need to convert them, which is not gonna happen.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default It should play itunes

My 8800 plays m4a songs from itunes as long as they are not protected (purchased)files. I have many on my 8800 and they play fine. I hope they didn't change this withthe 8300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfocus View Post
Another note: Sound quality playing MP3's

Sounds is good, but NO EQ option is a very poor effort!

Volume is low, good for a quiet room with Open and Closed headphones, but only about 70% of max volume playing against the same MP3 file on an Ipod.

Plus, will only play MP3's so to take songs from my Itunes library, means I need to convert them, which is not gonna happen.
Closed Thread