BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Is it just me or Camera quality is poor on 8300?

Please Login to Remove!

The camera quality on 8300 i took pictures look very blurry regardless of what settings i tried to change. Does anyone encounter this issue as well or am I getting a bad unit?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Have you taken images outside in good lighting. My indoor images are not near as good as the well lit outdoor images. They are quite sharp with good color
Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Try going outside in bright light and hold it very still.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
SVX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Set the flash to "always on" in the options. It fixed mine and they are damn near perfect compared to my Blackjack, Orange SPV M3100 (Cingular 8525), and Cingular 2125. Without it, it was blurry and under exposed! It made a world of difference.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
SVX

I can post pics later of the difference between the two. You really won't believe they came from the same camera!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for the replies guys. I went outside and took some pics. It does look better than inside. I hold it very still and press enter instead of scroll wheel to take a pic, but I still see slight blur regardless.

Can someone post some sample pictures from curve?

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
boifitskarma

PIN: N/A

Yeah definitely looks better with the flash always set to on. This camera is quite good for a cell phone, at least here in North America (I hear in Japan they got like 4MP already lol, god we're late!)

Anyways, really diggin the Curve.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

My Nikon D70 has Curves and takes great shots - hey its a cell phone. Wonder how it compares to my Oly C2020, my first 2mp camera. Probably not well.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by boifitskarma View Post
I hear in Japan they got like 4MP already lol, god we're late!
More MP doesn't help with bluriness. I really don't understand why people fixate on that number so much.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

2mp is nothing to fixate on! It will do fine for sending images over your device. I find the device to take half decent images for what it is!

I am liking my 8300!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Probably 6-8mp by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boifitskarma View Post
Yeah definitely looks better with the flash always set to on. This camera is quite good for a cell phone, at least here in North America (I hear in Japan they got like 4MP already lol, god we're late!)

Anyways, really diggin the Curve.
Yes, Japan did have 4mp but that was 4 years ago.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
trevolly

Carrier: O2

4 megapixel? I'd try more like 10 megapixel!!

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Press Release
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
bbcurve

Carrier: at&t
Default My Results from Expirimenting All Day Today

Here's what I've found after a day of fiddling with settings:

File Size. The Superfine/Fine/Normal settings basically adjust the level of JPEG compression in the image. This results in either BLOCKY artifacts (at the lowest quality setting), or reduced color fidelity in the two higher settings (both appeared equally sharp, just less color quality and more noise in the darker areas). Neither really impacted 'sharpness' per se.

Light. After reading some suggestions earlier about trying indoors vs/ outdoor shooting to see if the bright exterior helps improve clarity, I will admit it will somewhat. The digital shutter has a much longer exposure under indoor lighting situations hence exaggerated blur when you snap a pic inside. Outside the results are a little better--but that's all they are, a little better. I was able to get some really still shots indoors, and some regular ones outdoors, and no way could I get something where it seemed this camera was in focus on the scene.

Resolution. Honestly, if I didn't know this imager was a '2 MEGAPIXEL' chip going in (for instance, someone just sent me the resulting images taken with it) I would have looked them over and said, "Hmmmm, this appears to be a 640 x 480 native resolution chip that they are using software interpolation to upscale and compensate." When you take the 1600 x 1200 image and look at it direct full-size on a 20" screen, it's blurry. So if you take that same image, and shrink it in your favorite photo app to 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 it still appears, well, blurry. Not until you start getting around 640 x 480 does it 'crispen up' and start to look like what we are used to seeing with today's handheld digital point-and-shoots and DSLRs. I'm not going to go as far as as to say this actually is a much lower resolution imager than spec (it could just be lousy optics causing this) but from my experience, especially 10 years ago with the start of the digital imaging boom-- when you can make something 'sharper' by just shrinking it, you're probably not looking at it's native resolution to begin with.

All in all, I know this is a camera PHONE, camera being some add-on to the primary function of the device. However, today's Internet is filled with blog posts, flickr submissions, heck, even You Tubes taken on cameras and I just wish this World Class Device would stand head and shoulders above what is already out there. We lead in handheld e-mail. We lead in handheld style. We lead in handheld battery life. We lead in handheld stability & reliability. This being my first camera phone, I wish I would have added one more to that list.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shona67 View Post
Yes, Japan did have 4mp but that was 4 years ago.
I work for a company that provides infrastructure (Supply Chain) services to the cell phone industry. And I can tell you for a fact.....Rim spent a grand total of $4 US (at cost) for the 2MP camera component that's included with the Curve. They actually spent more for the one included with the Pearl, but that was because they didn't sub it out to a different country.

This doesn't include the software/firmware to use the camera of course.

My point is that there is NO reason why RIM and others can't give us better cameras on our phones. 5MP components are in the $8 US range right now. By comparison, the keyboard costs 3-4X what the camera does....the two most expensive items on these phones are, in fact, the screens and the battery. Everything else is a gimme. The tech is out there, already meets with FCC/UL/etc approval. It's all highly batter-conservative. They just don't offer anything better.

Because, as far as the cell phone industry is concerned, you don't NEED anything better than what they are giving you because they are fearful of people hogging data bandwidth if they gave you a camera that was actually WORTH using for important pictures. And they are oh-so-defensive of letting the unwashed masses use up their precious bandwidth.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Yea I could care less about MP. 2 is plenty. I just wish they would focus more on the quality.
Closed Thread