BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Telenav Limitations? (vs. other PDA-based software)

Please Login to Remove!

Odd question, perhaps - but I was wondering if anyone had experience with both PDA-based GPS software like TomTom or iGuidance and can comment as to whether Telenav has any noticable limitations in ease of use/convenience by comparison. (I'm thinking of going to a single device, and GPS is a big hurdle.)

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

I have used both a mio digiwalker c310x, with the iGo map application. The chief difference is that the mio (like tomtom, etc.) stores the maps locally. Telenav downloads them over your phone's connection as needed. Thus, if you're out of range, telenav isn't going to be able to help you.

Another difference is the level of detail. The devices with locally stored maps can produce a ton of detail on the navigation screen. Different colors for parks, lakes, buildings, streets vs. highways, etc. The level of detail in the telenav navigation view is minimal (but enough to get the job done).

On the other hand, the benefit of telenav is more frequently updated maps and POI databases. The mio I have is still supposed to be using maps released in 2005 and Mio has not provided any updates. GPS device manufacturers typically charge for updates. Telenav updates for free.

In terms of ease of use, there's difference, but I can't say that one is better or worse than the other. My mio has a touch screen for selecting options, entering addresses, etc. With telenav you use the device keypad, or you can do it online from your PC.

Bottom line for me is that I took my Pearl + GPS Puck + Telenav on a 3 hour road trip this past weekend, and it worked so well that I've listed my Mio on ebay and craigslist. (It has the newest 2007 released maps. If anyone's interested, PM me.)
Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks. That's reassuring. I have iGuidance on my PDA and I often find the dearth of POIs bothersome. I wonder if, now that we are seeing BBs with external storage, whether the TomToms and the iNavs are going to consider jumping into the ring?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
I have used both a mio digiwalker c310x, with the iGo map application. The chief difference is that the mio (like tomtom, etc.) stores the maps locally. Telenav downloads them over your phone's connection as needed. Thus, if you're out of range, telenav isn't going to be able to help you.
This is my problem with telenav. For me, it only makes sense that a GPS provide position and mapping information when you are in locations that might not have data (or even phone) signals.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here are some other obvious limitations (in my specific case)...

1. I need to make a phone call while using Telenav. Speaker phone? This is a bit challenging in a Jeep Wrangler. I should add that I have to use a Bluetooth GPS puck b/c of Verizon, so I can't pair a BT headset.

2. Geocaching. Not a Telenav thing, per se - I know. But a challenge to going to a single device if it is going to be a Blackberry. May be time for a dedicated GPS unit for this, but I wonder if this would end up more expensive than my current two device solution? (Also given that the PDA does a ton more than the standalone GPS, and even if some of it is redundant with the BB...)
Old 06-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
rjk0824
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: N/A

My comments are as follows:
I have a stand alone, MobiNavigator loaded on my IPAQ. I have used the Verizon version of the GPS on their phones. The problem with the phone based GPS units is that everytime you go off track it takes awhile for a new route to be calculated and displayed. Also if there is no coverege in the area you are in, then you are lost. You cant use the phone while GPS is in use. My stand alone does have some downfalls, maps are not always updated, carrying a separate GPS is cumbersome. I still vote for the standalone.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder33cat View Post
1. I need to make a phone call while using Telenav. Speaker phone? This is a bit challenging in a Jeep Wrangler. I should add that I have to use a Bluetooth GPS puck b/c of Verizon, so I can't pair a BT headset.
I can pair my BT headset and and use TeleNav/BlueTooth puck at the same time. I do, however, get the voice prompts in the middle of my phone call but it does work ok.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Excuse my noobness.. but I've been seeing the word "puck" be thrown around quite a few times in these forums. Can someone point me in the right direction and possibly show me one of these. I did a search on eBay and it came back blank.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
cwonsey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

When they refer to a "puck", they are just referring to a bluetooth GPS receiver. You may have better luck searching for that. If you are considering purchasing a navigation package, most of them have options with and without the GPS receiver being provided.

Here is one random example of a receiver:
buy GPS Now - i-Blue High Sensitivity Bluetooth GPS Receiver (PS-3200)(Auto On/Off) (Free Phone/PDA Mount)

Whatever you do, try to get receiver that has been tested with the software you intend to use. Although they are pretty generic, some work better than others with certain programs.

In response to rjk0824's comment that he is unable to make calls while using GPS, I know this does not apply to Telenav. I can place or receive calls, review messages, whatever I need to do with my Telenav running in the background. It will not launch the program to show maps when a turn is coming up but the audible directions are still given. This can be annoying if you are on a phone call, but personally, finding my way takes precedence over talking on the phone. If I didn't need the directions, I wouldn't be using the device for navigation in the first place, so I am very glad the prompts interrupt my call.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrewulf View Post
Excuse my noobness.. but I've been seeing the word "puck" be thrown around quite a few times in these forums. Can someone point me in the right direction and possibly show me one of these. I did a search on eBay and it came back blank.
nice profile avatar....so did u smoke the game in hard difficulty ?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
zero7404

i use telenav 5.1 with the telenav puck and my bt headset works fine when everything's connected. i think it doesn't want to pair right if i connect to the puck before i connect to the headset, tried it once it didn't want to connect.

no issues with telenav, i like it.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

For those reading this thread, I suggest you take a look at my GPS page. TN is IMO the best one out there. It had some limits, but I use it all the time and don't feel like I am missing much. See the sticky on the improvements suggested. Plenty of screen shots at my site. As for the maps etc, note that if you download a route, you can stay on that route even if you go out of cell signal - it just won't reroute.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
zero7404

TN is a good app and service. BUT, it sometimes doesn't recognize whether the parking lot/pulloff i am in is to the one side of the road or the other.

not sure if this is just a navigation thing in general or i must be losing a screw
Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwonsey View Post

It will not launch the program to show maps when a turn is coming up but the audible directions are still given. This can be annoying if you are on a phone call, but personally, finding my way takes precedence over talking on the phone. If I didn't need the directions, I wouldn't be using the device for navigation in the first place, so I am very glad the prompts interrupt my call.
You can actually still see the maps if you do an <alt>+<esc>/<alt>+<reverse key>. . .allowing you to engage the switch application screen. Once you switch from the phone app to TeleNav, you're good to go. You still have the phone call active, and TeleNav running with the audible and visual.
Closed Thread