Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Default Program to determine where call coming from

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a program out there like Cityid for the Treo to tell where and incoming call is coming from...for example, if I get a call on my treo from 813 area code, it tells me tampa, fl.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

rob
Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
mikejw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here's one way to find out. Just send a text to Google (46645) with the area code or zip code and you will get a reply with the city that it's in.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
RobM

Thanks I appreciate that tip, but it is too slow. That is after the fact and I need to know while the call is coming in. When I first got the program for my treo, I thought it was trivial, now I cant live with out it. I have an 8800 coming on Tuesday to replace my 8700 and would love to have something similar to this on it.

rob
Old 06-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

A program like this is not available yet...you're not the first person to ask for it, that's why I know.

Erik

Last edited by tifosiv122; 06-17-2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: your -> you're (I'm an idiot)
Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default RE - Telcodata.us

Just use Telcodata.us. It's a website I use quite often to find out where a number is coming from.

Bear in mind though that people who port their numbers over may not be living in the city that the number is coming from, and the same goes for those users who use VOIP and have a number other than the one from their city and state.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
stuxstu

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
A program like this is not available yet...your not the first person to ask for it, that's why I know.

Erik
Agreed... I had a program like that on my Cingular 2125 (forget the name) and it was great. My sales territory covers 50 states and I even get a few phone calls from Canada. It doesn't help me either after the fact. I just ask the caller... Wish I knew how to program. I could make a killing (or enough to buy lunch) off some of what is done on palm and windows mobile.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
RobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Thanks I appreciate that tip, but it is too slow. That is after the fact and I need to know while the call is coming in. When I first got the program for my treo, I thought it was trivial, now I cant live with out it. I have an 8800 coming on Tuesday to replace my 8700 and would love to have something similar to this on it.

rob
do you know if it is something that is being worked on?

rob
Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Disclaimer: I can't program anything under any platform, so please bear that in mind with the following:

On the surface, it doesn't sound terribly difficult. I would think that either something like a hybrid 3rd party CallerID type program would do the trick, or an adaptation of the existing method used to display contact info on incoming calls using the addressbook. For the latter, if there was logic in place in that an inbound call did not exactly match a contact in the addressbook, then it would look at a table with area codes and locations. There would have to be wildcard functionality when parsing the phone number though (e.g. in North America, +1XXXYYYZZZZ, where the Y's and Z's would be wildcarded).

Too bad the addressbook doesn't support wildcards (which, makes sense that it doesn't), because if that was the case, entries could be made manually to the addressbook to add area codes and locations in. Rather, a CSV file containing the area codes and locations could be imported into Outlook (for example) and then sync'd with the addressbook.
Closed Thread