BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
JamesNY

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Waterproof case for Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know of a waterproof case for the Pearl, please? I do a lot of sailing. There are waterproof and submersible VHF radios so surely the day has come when there should be a waterproof Blackberry! Failing that - a waterproof case.

Heck - it might be useful for someone people I know who lament not being able to use their Blackberrys in the shower.

James

Last edited by JamesNY; 06-17-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

That would be pretty cool, but I'd think you'd find it hard to move the trackball and type on your BB, it is a good idea for those who love to use their BlackBerries on the toilet hehe.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: EAPPLE
Carrier: Tmo

Grab a small zip lock bag and place it in there, works well when you go snowboarding and you drop it in powder.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
EmeraldICE
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

The only thing that I could find that might be what you are looking for is BlackberrySource.com - BlackBerry 7100 Series AquaPac Case that.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNY View Post
Does anyone know of a waterproof case for the Pearl, please? I do a lot of sailing. There are waterproof and submersible VHF radios so surely the day has come when there should be a waterproof Blackberry! Failing that - a waterproof case.

Heck - it might be useful for someone people I know who lament not being able to use their Blackberrys in the shower.

James
You are never going to see a waterproof cell phone or other "land use" electronic device. This is because there is not much call for waterproof devices, especially considering the expense in making something waterproof.

About the only electronic device I have that is water resistant is a marine radio. I have nothing that is waterproof.

Your best bet is to look for either a generic hard shell waterproof case specifically made for cell phones or one of those ZipLoc type thick plastic bags. But I assume you know about those. They are sold on eBay.

I don't know of any made specifically for the Pearl. One hard shell case I have is pretty small though, almost looks like it was made for the Pearl.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 06-18-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
You are never going to see a waterproof cell phone or other "land use" electronic device. This is because there is not much call for waterproof devices, especially considering the expense in making something waterproof.
LG CanU 502 waterproof cellphone for $500 in 2005, not sure how much it is now.

The Zip lock bag will let you use the phone's camera function.

I just checked Verizon and they are selling it for $99 with a 2 yr contract. I'm sure you can find it on eBay as well if you are really in need of a waterproof phone.

Last edited by karaokesuperstar; 06-18-2007 at 11:23 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokesuperstar View Post
LG CanU 502 waterproof cellphone for $500 in 2005, not sure how much it is now.

The Zip lock bag will let you use the phone's camera function.

I just checked Verizon and they are selling it for $99 with a 2 yr contract. I'm sure you can find it on eBay as well if you are really in need of a waterproof phone.
You are right, I am wrong. I hate when I write poorly. I should not have said "never" because obviously there are specialty devices out there.

What I meant to say was mainstream models, like the Pearl [which was asked about] and the hundreds of other popular cell phones out there. I don't see waterproof cell phones ever becoming a common offering, that is, on the list of phones for sale by carriers.

Interesting though, that particular phone may be the answer for those people working in dusty or dirty environments, as some members have posted that they need.

Update: Also interesting what a user of this phone said:

I have this phone in Japan - costs $150 or less with phone contract. Follow up - you can't take it underwater or get it submerged for long periods. And you have to rinse it well after, if it is saltwater. Says 'waterproof' on the back - but water resistant is more accurate. So, I take it along on dive trips, but never in the water. Good on boats though.

Moreover, I see that on eBay they are being sold for scrap, almost. Seems they did not do that well. I don't think there is much of a market for a waterproof phone. Maybe in some military situations, but in the consumer market, naw.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 06-19-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
No Longer Registered.

Try Pelican case (www.pelican.com). I have one and they are awesome!!! Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
MistahQ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Lets not forget the Casio G`Zone cell phone.
"The Japanese G'zOne is a water-and-shock resistant, clamshell CDMA phone with a 1.3 megapixel camera, music player, and digital compass."
Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahQ View Post
Lets not forget the Casio G`Zone cell phone.
"The Japanese G'zOne is a water-and-shock resistant, clamshell CDMA phone with a 1.3 megapixel camera, music player, and digital compass."
Noted: but let's not forget that what I was referring to is "waterproof," not water resistant.

Waterproof devices are very expensive to manufacture because they have to make gaskets for every possible opening where water might enter. Take that phone theMember pointed out to us. Its 2005 purchase price was over $500. Considering that the phone was otherwise unremarkable feature wise, I would have to assume it was the waterproofing that drove up the cost.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 06-20-2007 at 01:16 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
MistahQ
Thumbs Must Hurt

yea but now u can get it for 99$ with verizon hehe. and if that phone can be submerged for 30 minutes underwater, im sure that would save alot of people from bricking their phones by "falling" in the pool, or dropping it in the toilet LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Does anyone know if this works for the Pearl? BlackberrySource.com - BlackBerry 7100 Series AquaPac Case

I assume it does cause the Pearl should be smaller... but then again I'd like to make sure... I'm not planning to take it underwater or anything... but it is a good idea for beaches.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
MistahQ
Thumbs Must Hurt

i would imagine that works for anything u can fit in it haha
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
MistahQ
Thumbs Must Hurt

I forgot about this site where i purchased a case for my ipod for when im out riding waverunners. they have some things for cellphones also.
Otterbox at OtterBox.com: Otterbox, Waterproof Boxes, Waterproof Box, Waterproof Plastic Boxes, Waterproof iPod Cases
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
Jasper101
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would love to see a water proof case for the pearl. The problem with a Ziplock bag is that you can use the pearl when its in it because you can move the track ball. As far as i can see, any water proof case you get for the pearl will never allow you to operate the trackball. I don't think you can make a seal around the phone that would allow you to roll the trackball but not allow water to get in. I have seen some hard see though plastic boxes for protecting your phone from water, but they didn't allow operation unless you took your phone out of the box.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper101 View Post
I would love to see a water proof case for the pearl. The problem with a Ziplock bag is that you can use the pearl when its in it because you can move the track ball.
Huh?!? Was that a typo? how is that a problem if you can use the trackball?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Jasper101
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Huh?!? Was that a typo? how is that a problem if you can use the trackball?

Yes, typo, SORRY!

You cant use the trackball because the plastic from the Ziplock bag stops you from being able to roll the trackball.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #18
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper101 View Post
Yes, typo, SORRY!

You cant use the trackball because the plastic from the Ziplock bag stops you from being able to roll the trackball.

Sorry for the confusion.
Have you tried it? Unless you are using a tight ziplock bag that hugs the phone, then I can see the difficulty in rolling the trackball, however, most ziplock bags for sandwiches/deli meat have a dimension of at around 6"x6" or 4"x6", enough room to use the trackball. We must be using different sizes.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #19
Jasper101
Thumbs Must Hurt

I cant remember how big the bad was that i used before. But i think the problem i had was that the plastic from the Zip-lock was too slippery (?) so it wouldn't really get traction to roll the ball. Maybe it was just my bag was too small.

Having said that, i just tried it out with a normal sized zip-lock and it works! I can roll the trackball fine. Now i feel stupid. I guess you were right and i was wrong.

Last edited by Jasper101; 06-21-2007 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: my stupidity
Closed Thread