Old 06-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #41
CZBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo6 View Post
why would you want it to be exclusive? that just translates into impossible to get. i wanted a wii when they first came out, but it took so long to get one that i just forgot about it.
Good point
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

BGR reports that each store will be receiving between 150-200 iphones on initial launch.

BGR:iPhone
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #43
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Aircraft

Been with the Berry before most of you kids I'm sure. Not giving that sucker up so quick but gonna supplement my very short list of possessions with the iPhone. Not giving up the Berry- giving up the vid iPod! I need a US phone anyway so why not get one with a Pod, Camera and blazing wifi?

BTW, I bought my girl a Curve and she just HATED it. Seriously. She went back to the 8700 after one week. Didn't like the keyboard or the lightweight feeling. Camera was too slow and too cheap. I have to sell it now. Works on Rogers. Any takers?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #44
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165
Carrier: AT&T

meh. Spent an intimate 4 hours with an iphone last Friday and I was underwhelmed.

I see lots of buyer's remorse in store for the iphone.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #45
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
meh. Spent an intimate 4 hours with an iphone last Friday and I was underwhelmed.

I see lots of buyer's remorse in store for the iphone.
ceebz, you serious dude? cuz if so apple is ripe for a short sell. The stock has been rocketing lately on spec that the iPhone is the real deal. Please give us your honest (non-blackberry-dork-bias) opins.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #46
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The iPhone would only be of passing interest. I have even tired of the new 8300 and gone back to my 8800 this AM. I am out on my vehicle all day and the nice ProClip device holder works great with the 8800. BUT, when the 8300 clip comes out, well who knows!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #47
jewberry
No longer Registered.

you are a HARD CORE bb geek Greg! Good on ya!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #48
ceebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewberry View Post
ceebz, you serious dude? cuz if so apple is ripe for a short sell. The stock has been rocketing lately on spec that the iPhone is the real deal. Please give us your honest (non-blackberry-dork-bias) opins.
The UI was pretty slick and blazing fast. Never encountered any lag.

The touchscreen was a mixed bag, however. The glass lens collects a lot of oil and was a pain to clean. Also, I found the touchscreen to be unresponsive at times. The keyboard? Blechh! I couldn't get the keyboard to pop up in landscape mode, only in portrait, so, it was next to impossible to type with two fingers. Combine that with predictive text and you have yourself some painfully slow text input.

Web browsing was good. The zoom worked pretty well and the iphone seemed to render pages at a decent speed considering it was loading full html. I just don't get why tapping on a touch screen is better than pressing "I" on your keyboard when you want to zoom?

In the phone department, I found the earpiece and alerts to be way too low. Why can't phone manufacturers figure out that loud is better than quiet?

Now, keep in mind, this was a pre-release unti and things may be different on the final version. However, IMHO, after people get over the initial "shiny and new" feeling about the iphone, people are gonna realize that it costs about $300 too much for what it is.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #49
ceebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
The iPhone would only be of passing interest. I have even tired of the new 8300 and gone back to my 8800 this AM. I am out on my vehicle all day and the nice ProClip device holder works great with the 8800. BUT, when the 8300 clip comes out, well who knows!
Yeah, I'm still having a hard time deciding between the 8300 and 8800. I boxed up my 8800 yesterday and purchased a telenav puck for the 8300. The puck seemed to work pretty well. We'll see how I feel about it in the long run though.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #50
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
The keyboard? Blechh! I couldn't get the keyboard to pop up in landscape mode, only in portrait, so, it was next to impossible to type with two fingers. Combine that with predictive text and you have yourself some painfully slow text input.
Do you mean there is no predictive text, or that predictive text slows things down?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #51
ceebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi5 View Post
Do you mean there is no predictive text, or that predictive text slows things down?

The input system is predictive text. the 'keys' are so damn small that you hit two or three of them at a time. The iPhone then tries to make sense out of the incomprehensible crap you've just typed.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #52
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The input system is predictive text. the 'keys' are so damn small that you hit two or three of them at a time. The iPhone then tries to make sense out of the incomprehensible crap you've just typed.
I see, because you hit multiple buttons at once, it guesses like the pearl does. How did you find the accuracy of the predictive text, did it guess right most of the time?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #53
ceebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi5 View Post
I see, because you hit multiple buttons at once, it guesses like the pearl does. How did you find the accuracy of the predictive text, did it guess right most of the time?
As with all predictive text, it was hit and miss. I found it pretty frustrating, but, maybe that's because I'm used to a QWERTY.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #54
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
As with all predictive text, it was hit and miss. I found it pretty frustrating, but, maybe that's because I'm used to a QWERTY.

good stuff ceebz.....thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #55
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Yeah if i can get my hands on one with no contract i will slip a to go sim card in it an test drive it.
SIM cards are hard wired into the units. No swapping out of the cards. I read a review of an pre-release unit (BefoReView.Info - Apple iPhone Review) and it says:

"Unlike any other GSM device, iPhone does not have removable battery or SIM card. So if you were hoping to easily replace SIM card and have phone activated, you are out of luck. Replacing SIM card and battery is possible but only by completely disassembling the phone. Opening the iPhone is very similar to opening the 3rd generation of the iPod. The best tool is some type of the stiff plastic wedge and extreme patience is required as thin metal case is extremely easy to bent permanently. Do not use any metal tool as it will leave scratches and may permanently damage the case. It took us 2 hours to open our iPhone and get access to the battery and SIM card. Contrary to the wide spread rumors that iPhone is locked, SIM card is merely welded inside and just not removable. However, there is enough space inside to place another SIM card over the existing one. So we cut the connector from the existing SIM card, glued new card on top of the old card and then bridged the connection."

If you're going to swap in another SIM card and "try it out", I doubt you would be able to return it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #56
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
SIM cards are hard wired into the units. No swapping out of the cards. I read a review of an pre-release unit (BefoReView.Info - Apple iPhone Review) and it says:

"Unlike any other GSM device, iPhone does not have removable battery or SIM card. So if you were hoping to easily replace SIM card and have phone activated, you are out of luck. Replacing SIM card and battery is possible but only by completely disassembling the phone. Opening the iPhone is very similar to opening the 3rd generation of the iPod. The best tool is some type of the stiff plastic wedge and extreme patience is required as thin metal case is extremely easy to bent permanently. Do not use any metal tool as it will leave scratches and may permanently damage the case. It took us 2 hours to open our iPhone and get access to the battery and SIM card. Contrary to the wide spread rumors that iPhone is locked, SIM card is merely welded inside and just not removable. However, there is enough space inside to place another SIM card over the existing one. So we cut the connector from the existing SIM card, glued new card on top of the old card and then bridged the connection."

If you're going to swap in another SIM card and "try it out", I doubt you would be able to return it.

Well that just sucks!!!! no prepaid?

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #57
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

As I mentioned in my previous post, the following is the best actual review of the iphone that I have seen so far:

BefoReView.Info - Apple iPhone Review

It seems to me that the iphone will an amazing ipod that will also surf the net, take pictures, take and make phone calls and do basic emailing and SMS. It does not seem like a decent business device, so I would imagine that Blackberry is not shaking in their boots. I have heard conflicting reports on it ability to sync to Outlook, and I hear it won't open Word and Excel documents.

If you want the coolest multimedia device around, that also does basic phone and email tasks, this is the phone for you. If you need your device for business to properly do email, attachments and syncing to Outlook, but you also want some decent multimedia ability, the Curve is the way to go.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #58
ceebz

The unit I played with last week had a sim card tray. It was a lot like the Treo 650.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #59
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo6 View Post
why would you want it to be exclusive? that just translates into impossible to get. i wanted a wii when they first came out, but it took so long to get one that i just forgot about it.
Same here, could now care less if I ever get the Wii now.

In a similar manner, I've noticed my interest in the 8300 went from "I have to have it now" a few months ago to not really caring when it comes out for T-Mobile. I know I won't be in any hurry to buy it once it does finally come out for T-Mo because the whole wait/exclusive thing has made me lose interest. The 8700 is working just fine.

As far as the topic here, until the iphone is actually released and people get their hands on it, it's hard to really make a decision on what one works best for anyone.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #60
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I might get one if I can cash and carry out of tha Apple store wo contract. I have many Cingular SIMs here at work with data plans I can test with. No way I would sign up for a 2 year contract at an average of $100 a month. That makes the cost of ownership of the phone $3000 for 2 years. Right now I have a company provided curve and service and my job requires me to have it so I would have to carry around 2 devices :(

I have to say I love the latest gadgets and I saw 1 on the Muni the other day and it looks sweet.

The SIM for the iPhone is imbedded into the device and cannot be removed