Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #21
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

No need for flaming anyone. Please keep this on topic.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #22
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I was having fun.. I did know what you meant (but I did have to read it twice).

This thread is very relevant to me right now. I am in the market for a new BB. On the one hand, I want the 3G speed that Verizon offers, but I am not likely to give my business to a company that disables built in features of the device.

I am really hoping that Rim comes out with a 3G product in the 8300 line that also supports GPS and is offered by AT&T (even though VZW has the best coverage around here, by a little, I don't intend to give them any of my or my families business as long as they are crippling the 8830).
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz View Post
Not me personally. I've seen you do it a few times before.
Ah yes... you must be referring to early May, when I had a slight run-in with another user who took it a little personally that I spoke out against members who were infatuated with celebrities and what mobile devices they used.

Apparently, someone was a little offended that I thought it was silly to be concerned with what BlackBerry Paris Hilton used, and reported me to the mods for being "insulting".
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #24
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I was having fun.. I did know what you meant (but I did have to read it twice).

This thread is very relevant to me right now. I am in the market for a new BB. On the one hand, I want the 3G speed that Verizon offers, but I am not likely to give my business to a company that disables built in features of the device.

I am really hoping that Rim comes out with a 3G product in the 8300 line that also supports GPS and is offered by AT&T (even though VZW has the best coverage around here, by a little, I don't intend to give them any of my or my families business as long as they are crippling the 8830).
What about Sprint? I believe they are releasing the 8830 next month.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #25
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
In any case, I'm against giving my dollar to a company who cripples devices in order to force you into buying their services. I think it's an unethical business practice and I'm just surprised so many people are willing to support them.

But hell, to each their own, eh?
I consider cingular / at&t doing the same thing with their data speeds. The phone is meant for high speed data.. at&t/cingular cripple that with thier dial up edge speeds.

You are waiting for the phone to become more multimedia in order to care about the data speeds? This "phone" REVOLVES around data speed.. or it would be just a phone.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
ceebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
I consider cingular / at&t doing the same thing with their data speeds. The phone is meant for high speed data.. at&t/cingular cripple that with thier dial up edge speeds.

You are waiting for the phone to become more multimedia in order to care about the data speeds? This "phone" REVOLVES around data speed.. or it would be just a phone.
at&t has problems with spectrum, that's why their coverage is 3G depleted. Here in Colorado, all of the 3G hardware has been in place for almost a year, but, they cannot turn it on until they are able to shut down TDMA services and open up some spectrum. The whole data coverage thing is not as cut and dry as you make it out to be and it's nothing like crippling devices in order to increase revenues.

I used a 7130 on Verizon for awhile, and EVDO didn't seem to make me retrieve emails faster or get instant messages quicker so, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Browsing may be a bit faster, but, not much.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #27
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What about Sprint? I believe they are releasing the 8830 next month.
I did not know that.. Thanks!

I will need to find out how good there coverage is in my area. Around here, VZW is know as the best, but at my office, I need to walk to a window to use my VZW phone. I know AT&T works at my desk and at my home (thanks to the company provided, data only, blackberry).

I'll have to ask around the office to see how well Sprint works here.

A question for another thread -- Is there a good way to evaluate the signal of various carriers in the places that I frequent -- like get a cheap prepay phone for a few days on the carrier I want to evaluate (in this case Sprint).
Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #28
ceebz

Quote:

A question for another thread -- Is there a good way to evaluate the signal of various carriers in the places that I frequent -- like get a cheap prepay phone for a few days on the carrier I want to evaluate (in this case Sprint).
Sure, that would work. The one thing you want to pay attention to, is data roaming. In the CDMA world, a lot of times you are not able to use data services while roaming. So, while you may be roaming on another carrier and have a great signal, you may be unable to use data services, which would render your Blackberry useless.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #29
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
at&t has problems with spectrum, that's why their coverage is 3G depleted. Here in Colorado, all of the 3G hardware has been in place for almost a year, but, they cannot turn it on until they are able to shut down TDMA services and open up some spectrum. The whole data coverage thing is not as cut and dry as you make it out to be and it's nothing like crippling devices in order to increase revenues.

I used a 7130 on Verizon for awhile, and EVDO didn't seem to make me retrieve emails faster or get instant messages quicker so, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Browsing may be a bit faster, but, not much.
Hardware in place for almost a year but not turned on.. sounds like our GPS.

Last edited by someonexh; 06-28-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #30
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I did not know that.. Thanks!

I will need to find out how good there coverage is in my area. Around here, VZW is know as the best, but at my office, I need to walk to a window to use my VZW phone. I know AT&T works at my desk and at my home (thanks to the company provided, data only, blackberry).

I'll have to ask around the office to see how well Sprint works here.

In my area cingular and verizon have always dominiated for coverage, and Verizon has always worked where cingular hasn't. Sprint .. I will never ever try again, I had them for years and no matter where I moved (three or four times in a few years) they always said "oh sorry you're on the edge of our coverage area" so my phone would die every night because it would go in and out of service. Almost all carriers now have a 30 day trial or prepay phone
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #31
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sure, that would work. The one thing you want to pay attention to, is data roaming. In the CDMA world, a lot of times you are not able to use data services while roaming. So, while you may be roaming on another carrier and have a great signal, you may be unable to use data services, which would render your Blackberry useless.
I appreciate that tip...
My VZW contract expires on 7/27 -- I can't wait!!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #32
ceebz

Quote:
Hardware in place for almost a year but not turned on.. sounds like our GPS.

Ha ha, except that at&t can't turn on their hardware because of FCC regulations.

Verizon on the other hand... $$$$$$$$$

Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #33
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ha ha, except that at&t can't turn on their hardware because of FCC regulations.

Verizon on the other hand... $$$$$$$$$
well.. you have had to wait a year thus far. Let's see how long we have to wait for GPS (which I could honestly care less about). I have GPS in both my cars.. I don't need another one.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
ceebz

Quote:
well.. you have had to wait a year thus far. Let's see how long we have to wait for GPS (which I could honestly care less about). I have GPS in both my cars.. I don't need another one.
Well, as I said before, 3G's not a big deal to me. I can forgive at&t for what's happening because the spectrum issue really isn't their fault. (Colorado is a 'Blue' area)

Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #35
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well, as I said before, 3G's not a big deal to me. I can forgive at&t for what's happening because the spectrum issue really isn't their fault. (Colorado is a 'Blue' area)
Well as a lot of Verizon users have said as well GPS is not a big deal either, yes it would be a nice feature once in a while or a toy for me, but I could care less. Data speeds, coverage, and reliability are the most important for me which Verizon is the best at hands down.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #36
vzw8830
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930

Right...id love to have GPS but i need the data-speed for tethering way more than the GPS toy. Verizon is the only carrier to offer decent coverage in central NH & and north. Sprint coverage basically stops in the town below me lol
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #37
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c04a31

Even if you only think the GPS would be a nice toy please look at my thread on the issue and send an email to verizon and ask why they have disabled the gps.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #38
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
Even if you only think the GPS would be a nice toy please look at my thread on the issue and send an email to verizon and ask why they have disabled the gps.
If Ixxx8217;m not mistaken, these phones also have WIFI capabilities. Is that not disabled by your provider also?

Why donxxx8217;t you petition for WIFI while your at it?

Your acting like this is the first time that a provider has disabled a feature. Ixxx8217;m not saying that I think it is right, Ixxx8217;m just saying that all providers do it.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #39
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
If I’m not mistaken, these phones also have WIFI capabilities. Is that not disabled by your provider also?
Why don’t you petition for WIFI while your at it?
The 8830 does not have WiFi capabilities. It's not disabled by the carrier... it simply doesn't exist in the device. Much different scenario.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #40
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
The 8830 does not have WiFi capabilities. It's not disabled by the carrier... it simply doesn't exist in the device. Much different scenario.
That is my bad then, I'm pretty sure that the 8800 does, maybe that is what I am thinking of...

Last edited by parisot; 06-28-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Closed Thread