Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #81
ffeingol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Yea, I kind of noticed that they had no VZW support. I emailed them asking about support for VZW and got nothing back.

Frank
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #82
Ramsy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston_albert View Post
I installed this OTA and now I'm stuck on and endless reboot loop. I cannot connect to my Blackberry now using either the Desktop Manager or jl_cmdr.

Anyone have any ideas?
I have this running on my 8700g with OS 4.2 no problem. I did an OTA installation. Program works very well. My only "complaint" so far is that voice mails somtimes do not show up as quickly as they do with the normal carrier/phone voice mail notification. For example, I got voice mail notification 20 minutes after the call. On another call, I got voice mail notification within 1 minute of the call.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #83
lobozooma

Model: 8300

Well, I have run into the same problem as I mentioned before. I am getting an error that says 'A network error has occurred. Please try again later'. This is accompanied by a yellow or red dot on software on my device. I tried the browser and I can access sites so it can't be the network connection alone. I wrote a note to tech support, I guess I will see what they say.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #84
snoballz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post
For example, I got voice mail notification 20 minutes after the call. On another call, I got voice mail notification within 1 minute of the call.
I noticed when I did not have the transcription feature, I received the voicemail notification very quickly. With the feature, there is now a lag.

However, if you go to your account, there is an option for you to get notification before getting a transcription.

Last edited by snoballz; 07-08-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #85
Lowrider

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper101 View Post
I guess this will be just like the iPhone's visual voicemail feature.

"The service works just as described, providing you with a list of voicemail messages by time, caller, and length. There's even an option to have your messages transcribed and sent to your email inbox."

BG just put up a new post about this, its compatible with a "variety of Windows Mobile handsets, as well as newer model BlackBerrys including the BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry 8800, and the BlackBerry Pearl."

I have just tried it and so far it works perfectly on my pearl, i can see who called, what time, how long of a message it is and i can also play it off my phone and rewind it an replay it! it Works perfectly!

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted before but i started a new thread because i don't think this service i particular has been mentioned...

SimulSays [Beta] - www.SimulSays.com

P.P.S. The reason for the "kinda" is because, currently, the SimulSays service works only with AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile. And (I think?) you must have OS 4.2 for this service to work.
I don't have any options under the Call Forward option to Forward if busy or forward if no answer, do you? (In call log options)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #86
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

I loved this application ... until Saturday.

Somehow, the application logged itself off from the Simulsays network and, as a result, I missed three messages. If the phone had been turned on, then at least I would have received a missed call notification, but I was at the beach and the phone was in my car, powered off. When I powered the phone on, the Simulsays app didn't connect and I didn't get the messages until a day and half later when I figured out that the app hadn't connected.

It doesn't makes sense for me to take a chance at missing messages like this, especially when I'm frequently in areas with no coverage (on the subway, in elevators, etc.) and I wouldn't even know I had missed a call.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #87
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post

Somehow, the application logged itself off from the Simulsays network and, as a result, I missed three messages. If the phone had been turned on, then at least I would have received a missed call notification, but I was at the beach and the phone was in my car, powered off. When I powered the phone on, the Simulsays app didn't connect and I didn't get the messages until a day and half later when I figured out that the app hadn't connected.

It doesn't makes sense for me to take a chance at missing messages like this, especially when I'm frequently in areas with no coverage (on the subway, in elevators, etc.) and I wouldn't even know I had missed a call.
That is really unfortunate. This is always the danger of being an early adopter, especially when something is in beta testing. It requires a considered decision as to whether or not you can live with the risk of something not working, or at least not working perfectly.

During the beta period, I have been dialing into the voicemail occasionally (generally once in the afternoon and once in the evening) to make sure I haven't missed a message. That has been my "safety net" because, like you, I can't afford to miss a message. So far, it hasn't been a problem.

I did have one mishap, and it was minor. I received a message notification on Friday evening, but never received the transcription. I was still able to listen to the message, and was able to read the transcription on the website, but it was never received by the SimulSays app.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #88
Ramsy

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n6doc View Post
That is really unfortunate. This is always the danger of being an early adopter, especially when something is in beta testing. It requires a considered decision as to whether or not you can live with the risk of something not working, or at least not working perfectly.

During the beta period, I have been dialing into the voicemail occasionally (generally once in the afternoon and once in the evening) to make sure I haven't missed a message. That has been my "safety net" because, like you, I can't afford to miss a message. So far, it hasn't been a problem.

I did have one mishap, and it was minor. I received a message notification on Friday evening, but never received the transcription. I was still able to listen to the message, and was able to read the transcription on the website, but it was never received by the SimulSays app.
I agree. I like this product and because of its benefits over the standard voice mail system have decided to use it for the time being. However, I did so knowing that the product is in beta and I paid nothing for it. Therefore, I have to use it at my own risk. Like the other posters, on a daily basis, I have toyed with going back to the original voice mail system for reliability.

My hope is that in a future version of the product, the user will have some type of control over when and how often the server is polled to find out if you have new voice mails.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #89
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Callwave was mentioned on Page 1 of this thread. Neat little product that is currently in beta too.

Nice thing about it so far is no install of any software. Give you the Gist of the voice mail. Gist being what it determines to be the important stuff. Sends the result as an email.

They don't list any pricing yet.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #90
robert.evans

Carrier: Cingular

Can SimulSays be installed without doing it OTA?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #91
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Default Free version

If you are only using the free version (without transcription), what does this service actually do that your ordinary v-mail won't do? Just curious, Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #92
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
If you are only using the free version (without transcription), what does this service actually do that your ordinary v-mail won't do? Just curious, Thanks
It gives you a visual list of your voicemails and indicates who they are from (the phone number or, if it's someone in your contacts, the name of the person). You can then listen to them in whichever order you want by clicking on them, instead of listening to them in order like you have to do with regular voicemail. The sound files are saved on your BB, so you can listen and re-listen to them any time without dialing into your voicemail.

That part of it is free. If you get the transcription service, which is $10 a month for up to 40 voicemails, you also get a transcript of each voicemail.

I took it one step further by having the transcripts sent to my Gmail account (no additional charge...you can also have them sent by SMS but then they would be subject to whatever limits you have on SMS messages). My Gmail account then segregates all of them under a special voicemail label. This way, if I need to find some piece of information, I can open up my Gmail account and search my voicemails for whichever piece of text I'm looking for. This has come in handy several times.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #93
Helmdawg

Thanks 4N, do you have to delete the message in two places? By that I mean, within the app intself with the sound clip and actually dialing in?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #94
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
Thanks 4N, do you have to delete the message in two places? By that I mean, within the app intself with the sound clip and actually dialing in?
Unfortunately, at this point, if you delete the voicemail from the app, it doesn't take it off the voicemail system. I consider this to be a design flaw. You should be able to remove the message from your voicemail from within the application.

On the plus side, if you log on to your account on their website (where you can also look at all of your messages) and mark a message as "read" it removes it from the voicemail system. To save time, I find it much faster to go online every so often and mark all the voicemails as "read" than to dial in to my voicemail and delete each one individually.

I hope their plan is to fix this with the final release.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #95
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.evans View Post
Can SimulSays be installed without doing it OTA?
I only see OTA installation instructions. You might want to email their support folks if you're unable to install OTA.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #96
Helmdawg

Thanks 4N!!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #97
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I installed simulsays too on my ATT pearl and on sat. I did not receive any messages. Then today I restarted the app, one of the options after you open it, and the messages were downloaded.

A couple of items to note:
1) Max message length is 1 minute.
2) When you delete the message from the phone it does not delete off the Simulsays server

It will be good one day. Again, it is free so it is hard to complain.

Last edited by jdoom; 07-09-2007 at 03:50 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #98
Lowrider

Carrier: CBW

My carrier offers VOXspin, basically same service as SS, but $4.99 a month for transcription. 40 messages per month.
So if they lower the price, it would be worth it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #99
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post

I could see this happening - but as someone else already noted, it's beta (no sarcasm meant).

If you have the transcription portion enabled (i.e. you pay for it), you would have gotten the transcription and not have missed the voice mails.

As a SimulScribe user of several months already, I cannot recommend the beta version of SimulSays WITHOUT the accompanying paid transcription service. Together, they rock and are very complimentary.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #100
juice901
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm curious to see if anyone else is having the same problem I am with this program. I'm running it on a BB Curve with the O2 os. Every time I get a voicemail message and listen to it, from that point on all my alerts (email, sms, phone ringer, whatever) are all played through the earpiece speaker rather than the external speaker. Even the media player plays through the earpiece. I have to pull the battery out to return to normal. Anybody else out there experience this?
Closed Thread