Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
daltonxxv

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default VZW 8830 GPS Locked

Please Login to Remove!

I've been posting on a previous thread which ended up more as a discussion about blocked video files than GPS issues.

I've been on the phone with VZW again this afternoon and they are now telling me that not only have they blocked the use of GPS until they're able to roll out their FOR PAY VZ Navigator service but that it will be more than 60 days before they're able to roll out the service on the 8830.

I find it all interesting because my contacts at VZW tell me that they were supposed to have had the service on the 8830 when they rolled it out.

Now, when I speak with them about switching to Sprint, they tell me how Sprint will force me to use a different telephone number when I travel internationally. What that has to do with GPS, I have no idea.

So, at the end of my rant, I have to ask - does anyone out there know how to unlock this GPS functionality?? My 30 days is going to expire on the 22nd of July and I'd really like to know if I need to go ahead and switch to those horrible bastards at Sprint or not.

I'm sure there's some programming genious out there who can help...right?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I am doubtful that there is a workaround for this. This was my main reason (service crippling) for leaving Verizon.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You can't unlock it. It has been disabled. Supposedly they will unlock it around 4Q 2008.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
kalikidtx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Maybe I missed something very important, but if you cant do what you want on Verizon and you hate Sprint, why not TMobile or at&t, both I am sure would work for your scenario......
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
daltonxxv

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I am doubtful that there is a workaround for this. This was my main reason (service crippling) for leaving Verizon.
I feel ya jeremy but the truth is, at least in the LA area, Verizon has everyone beat hands down.

Although I'm more than a little mad at their inability to act in an ethical manner as it relates to allowing their users to have access to the full set of RIM-installed options, their service is superior to both AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint/Nextel and their customer service is better than all of them as well (albeit, that's really not saying much).

For everyone else, I'll continue to look for other solutions and will post if I find anything.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
daltonxxv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikidtx View Post
Maybe I missed something very important, but if you cant do what you want on Verizon and you hate Sprint, why not TMobile or at&t, both I am sure would work for your scenario......

Hi kali - Good question. I had ATT when I first moved to the LA area - horrible service and even worse customer service!! I wouldn't send my worst enemy to them! That notwithstanding, I believe VZW & Sprint are the only 2 with the 8830. Sad but true!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
markn455
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Asked about the GPS in a Verizon store in San Francisco and they could not tell me when. They could tell me that it was going to be activated. Oh, he did tellme that the RIM rep was there on site in the store and he also told them that they were working on it and that it would be soon but would not, or could not give a date.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #8
daltonxxv

Default VZW GPS Timeline

I've heard several different stories about when VZNav is going to be out. First I heard it should be soon (from a post here). Then VZW said it was supposed to have been rolled out with the device but there was a bug but they were close to a fix on it. Then I heard from VZW that it should be out in the next release. Then I heard it should be out in the next 60 - 90 days. Finally, I believe one of the moderators suggested Q4 2008.

At the end of the day, VZW will get it out when they get it out. It's unfortunate they care so little about their customer base that they won't even let us use the other options that are out there in the meantime.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonxxv View Post
I feel ya jeremy but the truth is, at least in the LA area, Verizon has everyone beat hands down.

Although I'm more than a little mad at their inability to act in an ethical manner as it relates to allowing their users to have access to the full set of RIM-installed options, their service is superior to both AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint/Nextel and their customer service is better than all of them as well (albeit, that's really not saying much).

For everyone else, I'll continue to look for other solutions and will post if I find anything.
How can their service be better if they let you buy a Blackberry that is not fully functional?

PIN: 32B11BE5
Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Question Brighthand Review confusing?

While I don't have an 8830, I will be getting one so I have been watching the whole GPS thing since the beginning. There is a review of the 8830 on Brighthand now and the unit photos cleraly indicate it is a Verizon and not Sprint unit, yet the reviewer said he tested the GPS and it worked fine in Cincinnatti, etc? How can he be testing it if it is disabled or am I missing something?

RIM BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Review
Old 07-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
While I don't have an 8830, I will be getting one so I have been watching the whole GPS thing since the beginning. There is a review of the 8830 on Brighthand now and the unit photos cleraly indicate it is a Verizon and not Sprint unit, yet the reviewer said he tested the GPS and it worked fine in Cincinnatti, etc? How can he be testing it if it is disabled or am I missing something?

The reviewer either
1. Used a Sprint 8830 and just put Verizon 8830 imagines on the web page.
2. Used an external bluetooth GPS puck with the VZW 8830 and failed to mention it.
3. Lied.

There is no way the reviewer used the internal GPS on a Verizon 8830. It's just not possible.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
dvaskelis

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
There is no way the reviewer used the internal GPS on a Verizon 8830. It's just not possible.
Maybe. However, reviewers often get early devices that may be "evaluation units" that differ in specifications from "shipping models". It happens all the time, especially with electronics.

I too saw another review for the 8830 that mentioned GPS, where it seemed partially, but not completely, disabled: BlackBerry 8830 - Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review

Note from the pictures the "evaluation unit" sticker on the back.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaskelis View Post
Maybe. However, reviewers often get early devices that may be "evaluation units" that differ in specifications from "shipping models". It happens all the time, especially with electronics.

I too saw another review for the 8830 that mentioned GPS, where it seemed partially, but not completely, disabled: BlackBerry 8830 - Phone Reviews by Mobile Tech Review

Note from the pictures the "evaluation unit" sticker on the back.
Ah... evaluation unit. That would certainly make sense.

Unfortunately, reviews like those linked to above seem to cause more confusion for end users who aren't in the know about Verizon's disabling of GPS on the shipping units.
The review you linked to at least mentioned in the CONS section of their review.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-10-2007 at 06:48 AM..
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
dvaskelis

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
How can he be testing it if it is disabled or am I missing something?

The review seems just a bad article, confusing an 8800 with the 8830. It starts out ok:

Quote:
t shouldn't come as a surprise that the new BlackBerry 8830 World Edition looks remarkably like the BlackBerry 8800... it's essentially the same phone with a few changes and new features.

What makes the 8830 so special is the fact that it's one of the few smartphones that offers support for both CDMA and GSM cellular-wireless networks.

[...] [T]his review is of the Verizon version.
And then at the bottom:

Quote:
Communication: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; Bluetooth 2.0
Whoops. That's the 8800, not 8830.

There's more though:

Quote:
The 8830 performs as quickly and reliably as the rest of the BlackBerry family, and the 312 MHz processor provides more than enough power for the applications in hand.
Nope, the 8830 uses a different (ARM 9) processor at 225 MHz, he's talking about the 8800 again.

Quote:
The 1400 mAh battery, rated for five hours of talk time or a very impressive 22 days of standby, is a bright spot for the 8830.
Too bad the CDMA-based 8830 actually has shorter battery life than that, he's again mixed it up with the GSM-based 8800.

Quote:
Processor: 312 MHz Marvell XScale
Operating System: BlackBerry 4.2.1.72
8800 specs, not 8830 specs.

I'd guess it was just a quickie review with some of the facts wrong. I'll even speculate the author did not try the 8830's GPS and just assumed it was the same as the 8800 GPS.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
The reviewer either
1. Used a Sprint 8830 and just put Verizon 8830 imagines on the web page.
2. Used an external bluetooth GPS puck with the VZW 8830 and failed to mention it.
3. Lied.

I see in the Brighthand forums someone else posed the question/challenged the reviewer but he has not responded yet.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #16
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonxxv View Post

That's true. I am fortunate enough to where I live in an area where I have a choice (yeah for me!!!). I can't front, Verizon did have good call quality and the coverage in my area was superb. But my T-Mobile also offers great coverage and good call quality as well, so I had to make the move.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
mundyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Did anybody buy an 8830 from Verizon with the assurance from the store that GPS was defiantly enabled? I know I did not. Yes, it should be a crime to sell a device and not allow the OWNER of that device to fully use it, they are treating us like we are renting the device from them. It's like renting a house for vacation and there is a closet door that is very securely locked, you wanna know what's in that room. But the truth is the 8830 is a great phone, and like most BB devices, it's very stable and usable.

With or without GPS, this is a great phone. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody looking for a great business communications tool. If you really need GPS capability take your $100 rebate and buy a Bluetooth GPS Puck.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #18
daltonxxv

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz01 View Post
How can their service be better if they let you buy a Blackberry that is not fully functional?
Hi net - What I actually meant (not necessarily what I said) is their COVERAGE is better - at least in the LA/SoCal area. I've known people on Sprint/Nextel & T-Mobile in this area who have terrible coverage and I have had ATT in this area and had to fight to make them let me out of my contract.

So, even though they don't let me use all the features of my phone (even though I paid for it what other carriers who don't disable GPS charge) and even though I pay a premium for their network, I'll still stay with Verizon because, when my phone rings, I have to be able to both answer it and understand what the caller is saying. Sad but true!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Closing this - please post in the sticky thread in the GPS section.
Closed Thread