ssnxp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Backup VS Synchronizing?

Please Login to Remove!

What are the differences here?

I assume that a Backup just creates a file that sits in your compueter to restore apps/information if needed later on, but does synchronizing do the same thing, but daily (or however often you choose to sync)?

Do they both backup/store the same information, and if so, what do they leave out?

For instance, would they both backup my memos, all my numbers, email, etc?

And one last question.. Is there any easy way to view my ****@mycingular.blackberry.net email on my desktop? I tried setting it up through outlook but as I've never used outlook, I was completely lost.

Tim.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
joemz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I believe that a BES 'synch' will keep your contacts, emails, tasks, notes backed up on the server. But it won't have other important things, like profiles, and personal email accounts, and any additional software (gmail, maps, etc) that you have on the BB

If you were to wipe your BB accidentally, and had a backup, you could recreate the BB with no loss at all. Software, data, contacts.... everything.

The same wouldn't be true if you wiped the BB and then did an enterprise activation. You wouldn't have the extra apps or the profile settings

I think
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
ssnxp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hm, anyone have more insight on this?

The thing is, I used to be a Sidekick user and almost all the information on the sidekick was backed up OTA on a server and could be accessed from a desktop. Basically, I want my information "synched" up somewhere if my 8300 happens to go kaput for some reason.

I am not on a BES, just a BIS user.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

if you are NOT using a BES:

Backup will back everything up that is specified-- ie: settings, PIM info, call logs, application data, etc.
Sync will just sync those items set up to sync (PIM data).

With a BES:

Settings, themes, profiles, sound profiles, owner information, PIM, everything pretty much including some application data is backed up and synced over the server. This is customizable by the BES admin but generally all of the settings, etc are backed up.

When I swqitch devices and activate BES, I don't even have to reprogram my profiles or options settings. it's all downloaded from the server.

In your case, being on BIS, you have to sync to your desktop to preserve notes, tasks, etc, etc OR to back everything up, you have to do a full backup.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
ssnxp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you for the information, I guess I'll just keep backing up and save those somewhere.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

SS--Sync will compare your BB data and PIM data (such as Outlook) as you have it configured, and move data to and from the BB and Outlook as you desire. It is not a backup.

Backup does just that, it creates a full back of your BlackBerry in a "*.ipd" file, on your PC.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
And one last question.. Is there any easy way to view my ****@mycingular.blackberry.net email on my desktop? I tried setting it up through outlook but as I've never used outlook, I was completely lost.
Nope. You really shouldn't give out that address anyway. If you need webmail/POP access then integrate an account that alrady has those features (like gmail or Yahoo).
Closed Thread