BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #121
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah, I did notice the menu was different.

You know...I didn't get my 8830 with the expectation that the GPS would be enabled. I had done my research and knew what I was getting. Verizon does piss me off. I *hate* their proprietary UI, and that they disable the more advanced technologies that handset makers have put in the hardware in order to squeeze more $$ from their customers. Like many others, I stick with them for the reliability, superior network coverage, and the fact that most of my friends and coworkers area also on Verizon.

I currently have one of their "premium" plans with unlimited messaging, so I'm hoping that if/when they implement the VZW Navigator service, it will just be included in my plan.

Impatiently waiting...
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #122
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
Yeah, I did notice the menu was different.

You know...I didn't get my 8830 with the expectation that the GPS would be enabled. I had done my research and knew what I was getting. Verizon does piss me off. I *hate* their proprietary UI, and that they disable the more advanced technologies that handset makers have put in the hardware in order to squeeze more $$ from their customers. Like many others, I stick with them for the reliability, superior network coverage, and the fact that most of my friends and coworkers area also on Verizon.

I currently have one of their "premium" plans with unlimited messaging, so I'm hoping that if/when they implement the VZW Navigator service, it will just be included in my plan.

Impatiently waiting...
That is what I am hoping for too. The person I spoke to on the phone a couple of weeks ago said that "based on my plan: the GPS access would be included free of charge"
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #123
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Hey I'm lost - maybe one of all these people milling around can point me in the right direction? Think so. What a plan!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #124
cowboyL1FE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I spoke with a Verizon BB tech today about a phonebook issue and I asked about GPS. She told me that in the 8830, GPS is activated but I need to purchase 3rd party software. She couldn't tell me the name of the software since it was not supported by Verizon.

Did she just flat out lie to me?

I have looked at Mobile Tracker and others but still am unsure.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #125
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

^^^ Yeah, she did. Seems they started stating that GPS was just for 911 because that's what was supported. Now they state that GPS is fully enabled, but you need to buy software for it to work. (Key point... the software will be VZNavigator.) When that comes out they will tell you it's the only software that supports it because of the way the phone was designed. Someone please shoot VZW now!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #126
Organman

Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)

Now that the 2 weeks are over, has Brittonx received the promised "patch" from RIM to enable the GPS function???
Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #127
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organman View Post
Now that the 2 weeks are over, has Brittonx received the promised "patch" from RIM to enable the GPS function???
I will be calling them Friday to check on the status ;^)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #128
jefftse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
I will be calling them Friday to check on the status ;^)
we are all waiting!!! my friend!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #129
pjayson

Default Verizon 8830 GPS

I just talked to my Verizon rep and he said that there will be a software update in October that will allow the GPS to work with VZNavigator for an extra $10 a month. I believe this is what is going to happen. I do not know if the GPS will work with other mapping programs, since it seems that the GPS is unlocked via software and if Verizon will allow this.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #130
alfa

Carrier: VZW

Well, gee whiz VZW. This does a hell of a lot of good for those of us who travel. As far as I know, VZN is a US-based piece of software, right? Yet the 8830 is a world phone. VZW sells an unlimited data world plan. But when it comes to actually knowing where you are in the world, well, we can't have that.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #131
ibmman69

PIN: 32c04a31

Did you hear anything from rim?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #132
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Verizon is also doing a pretty good job of "false representation of product capabilities" when it sends it to public reviewers which test the product and publish their findings to boost sales for VZW. Check out this thread. RIM BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Review - Brighthand.com Smartphone and PDA Discussion Forums
Old 07-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #133
g8rgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
That is what I am hoping for too. The person I spoke to on the phone a couple of weeks ago said that "based on my plan: the GPS access would be included free of charge"
Which Verizon plan do you have?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #134
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Verizon is also doing a pretty good job of "false representation of product capabilities" when it sends it to public reviewers which test the product and publish their findings to boost sales for VZW. Check out this thread. RIM BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Review - Brighthand.com Smartphone and PDA Discussion Forums
you get a kick outta that?

check this out

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-8830-gps.html
Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #135
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Default No GPS at Verizon - why do you stay at them?

As we all know, Verizon has some serious problems with enabling the already built-in GPS receiver in their BlackBerry devices. We saw that at the 8703e as well as at the 8800.

I just can't understand why so much people stay with Verizon. They seem to be *****. Would be great if someone can enlight me. Perhaps they provide other benefits
Old 07-22-2007, 12:09 AM   #136
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
As we all know, Verizon has some serious problems with enabling the already built-in GPS receiver in their BlackBerry devices. We saw that at the 8703e as well as at the 8800.

I just can't understand why so much people stay with Verizon. They seem to be *****. Would be great if someone can enlight me. Perhaps they provide other benefits
Why did you move my question?!? It is not about the topic of this thread! Can't you read? I don't want to know why Verizon deactivated GPS! I want to know why Verizon customers stay with Verizon!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #137
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

OH, gosh! Maybe I should have moved it here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-8830-gps.html

Here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...here-rant.html

Here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...rld-phone.html

Here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...tion-plan.html

or maybe even here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-features.html

Just take your pick.

Last edited by JSanders; 07-22-2007 at 12:21 AM..
Old 07-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #138
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
For me it's because family and friends also have them and I don't have to burn my minutes to talk to those folks. Honestly, the coverage is just reliable. If I need to make or take a call I know all I have to do is hit Send and it'll go through. The bad part... I can't use the "Oh, my phone wouldn't get a signal" excuse too often. If it wasn't for that they really wouldn't have anything else to make it worth my time.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 AM   #139
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:

I didn't. I already got a new AT&T plan. I will be ending my VZW service as soon as my contract expires later this week.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #140
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I stay becuase the CS is great service is great phones are great and its not sprint
Closed Thread