Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
majidekeitai
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BIS - How long for email to arrive

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I just got the Curve today and was setting up my email accounts and have noticed that I am able to send email out using the two accounts but don't seem to be receiving any. I checked on the server and they are sitting there with a new/unread status so for some reason, the Curve is not getting it. Would anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

If you are a BIS user and depending and depending on your e-mail account/domain, it can range from almost instantaneous to 20 minutes on average. For example, when I use my G-Mail account, it is pretty fast but when I am grab from an exchange server, the 20 minute wait is more of the norm.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
majidekeitai

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

Thanks for the reply. I hope its just the time lag. I also just noticed that when I run the diagnostics, I get a NO as a response from the server but again I can send so I'm confused.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
majidekeitai

I tried setting up my gmail account and you are right, the gmail is almost instant. I also tried the service books options and all of the email started coming in form the other accounts. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With Gmail and Yahoo! accounts the e-mail will come through instantly almost. With other POP3 and IMAP accounts, or Exchange accounts, the mailbox is polled every 15-20 minutes. If mail is found it will forward the mail to the BlackBerry. The mailbox will then be polled again in 2 minutes and if there is mail found, it will be forwarded. This process continues until there is no more mail, at which point the mailbox will be polled again in 15-20 minutes.

In order to get mail delivered faster you can set up your mail account to forward your mail to your BlackBerry e-mail address. For example, if John Doe had a T-Mobile account, his e-mail address may be john.doe@tmo.blackberry.net.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
CableGuy711
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

just set up your email to forward to a gmail acct, and set up the gmail acct in your BIS. instant email.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With Gmail and Yahoo! accounts the e-mail will come through instantly almost. With other POP3 and IMAP accounts, or Exchange accounts, the mailbox is polled every 15-20 minutes.
Blackberry may have different polling rules for IMAP accounts. Just added IMAP email address to my blackberry today and can swear I am getting emails from it much faster.

My POP3 email is delayed by 15 minutes, just like you say.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
majidekeitai

Thanks everyone for your replies. After my second day with the Curve I noticed that I don't get emails every 15 minutes, more like over an hour, so I just created an alias to send to my gmail account and have the 'reply to' field as my personal email. I also added my personal email in the BCC field so I get a copy of any emails I send out.

BTW, do I have to do this or do emails I send from my curve go into my sent items in Outlook?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

On my AOL IMAP account I use a company called Versa Forward at VersaForward Email Forwarding Service - AOL, Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo to your Cell Phone, Blackberry, or Email

This allows me to get my AOL mail within 60 seconds and many times with in seconds. I love these people and they allow me to have real time conversations with my customers. Even 15 minutes is way to long for someone to sit and wait on a reply when the need confirmation NOW.

Check them out, been using them for years now and they have never let me down!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
kenhawk

Model: 8300
Default BIS speed

If you have AT&T Tech Support transfer you to RIM Tech Support, they will go into their system and check your settings. They also can dramatically speed up the response time. RIM was able to make e mails flow to my device within 3 minutes of arrival on the server.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
majidekeitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhawk View Post
If you have AT&T Tech Support transfer you to RIM Tech Support, they will go into their system and check your settings. They also can dramatically speed up the response time. RIM was able to make e mails flow to my device within 3 minutes of arrival on the server.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try calling RIM Tech Support tomorrow. I will be more than happy with 15 minutes but 3 minutes would be even greater!
Closed Thread