Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx
Default Installed New T-Mo OS and Having Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, asking for help again I guess. I installed the new OS (downloaded it, ran setup, followed instructions basically). It seemed to have installed correctly, but I get no cell phone broadcast and no service so I'm guessing that I'd have to somehow activate my phone again... and everytime I do a battery pull and turn my phone it would show signal for a few seconds then it wold be all gone. I also noticed that I have fewer service books than when I used the old T-mobile os... I also went to the Mobile Services and it says At&T instead of T-mobile... so I'm wondering if I did anything wrong.

After all this time of reading forums I've never actually upgraded my OS, cause I was patient on the T-mobile releasing it and now that I finally have it I can't use my cell phone as a phone >.>.... please help... sorry if I'm becoming a BB Noob again
Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
ajs3898
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: CUSHION
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

options>advanced options>host routing table

highlight the bold font in the list, then click the menu button and click register now.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
burriqui2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Hello and good morning!! I had the same issues yesterday, but it was a T-mobile issue with the international romming coverage. I recommend you contact T-mobile PDA support and verify if the also had issue in your area.

Hope this helps!!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Willie115

Argh, that was seriously annoying, I checked for a T-mobile outage but they said there were none, and I absolutely needed my phone cause I'm in San Francisco, I checked the host routing and that didn't work because the list was empty somehow, I called T-mobile and the stupid rep kept saying "there is no new blackberry software upgrade that came out, you must be trying to install another companies OS and that is why" so I basically hung up and gave up on him, I tried to reinstall it thinking that it was a problem when that install that it was corrupt or something but still no luck, I decided to whipe my BB with jl_cmder and installed the OS onto my BB and well that finally did it, so problem solved, sorry for the waste of a thread but I whiping it seemed so much more troublesome than to just upgrade the conventional way, but I guess for whatever stupid reason it didn't in my case so blah, whipe, install, there you go.

Any thoughts on why that happened?

Last edited by Willie115; 08-14-2007 at 07:57 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
Argh, that was seriously annoying, I checked for a T-mobile outage but they said there were none, and I absolutely needed my phone cause I'm in San Francisco, I checked the host routing and that didn't work because the list was empty somehow, I called T-mobile and the stupid rep kept saying "there is no new blackberry software upgrade that came out, you must be trying to install another companies OS and that is why" so I basically hung up and gave up on him, I tried to reinstall it thinking that it was a problem when that install that it was corrupt or something but still no luck, I decided to whipe my BB with jl_clmer and installed the OS onto my BB and well that finally did it, so problem solved, sorry for the waste of a thread but I whiping it seemed so much more troublesome than to just upgrade the conventional way, but I guess for whatever stupid reason it didn't in my case so blah, whipe, install, there you go.

Any thoughts on why that happened?
Since the wipe and reinstall worked it sounds like something didn't load up right during the first software upgrade. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.

The Host Routing Table being empty almost sounds like you weren't connected to the T-Mobile network which makes me wonder if the wireless radio was turned on. You said you were getting some signal bars that went away so it sounds like it was. Very strange. If I had been the T-Mobile rep you spoke to I would have suggested reloading the software as well but I would not have said you might be trying to load software from another company.

Dave

Last edited by sgtcasey; 08-14-2007 at 08:01 AM..
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T MO

Tmo customer service, though very friendly, they are not the sharpest tool in the shed. I talked to one of their "techs", it was a female, and you can just totally tell they have no tech knowledge off the top of their heads. She was looking through some prescripted manual and still couldn't give me an answer as to why their mms messages are not considered text msg or even data! I was billed for some mms msg even though I have unlimited text and unlimited data. Go figure? This board is the true place to come to for "tech" support.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE BERRY View Post
I was billed for some mms msg even though I have unlimited text and unlimited data. Go figure? This board is the true place to come to for "tech" support.
MMS is not covered under the unlimited text and data package, it's a per-use charge and you were correctly billed if you used it. At $0.25 each it's a complete ripoff, just email the pic to your Flickr upload email address and skip MMS.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Willie115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Since the wipe and reinstall worked it sounds like something didn't load up right during the first software upgrade. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.

The Host Routing Table being empty almost sounds like you weren't connected to the T-Mobile network which makes me wonder if the wireless radio was turned on. You said you were getting some signal bars that went away so it sounds like it was. Very strange. If I had been the T-Mobile rep you spoke to I would have suggested reloading the software as well but I would not have said you might be trying to load software from another company.

Dave
Well, the initial install of the first software upgrade didn't work, so I tried to install it AGAIN, and it didn't work. After whiping with the magical jl_cmder then it finally did some good. Yeah I thought I wasn't getting signal too since my Host Routing Table was empty, even ran outside the cold of San Francisco at 4ish A.M. to make sure it wasn't he house I was in >.>... but I also made a call to see if the service was out which it wasn't, guess it doesn't take 2 reinstalls of the fresh batch but it just takes a good clean WHIPE :D
Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
k4tj3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 308D8374
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
just email the pic to your Flickr upload email address and skip MMS.
Ohh, nice work around. Love it.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry this thread went off topic but shouldn't images attached in the BB messenger function be part of the unlimited BB data plan?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

anyone know why they only upgraded the dm to version 4.2.1.8 ? i'm running 4.2.2.14....
Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Terrain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Tmo customer service, though very friendly, they are not the sharpest tool in the shed. I talked to one of their "techs", it was a female, and you can just totally tell they have no tech knowledge off the top of their heads. She was looking through some prescripted manual and still couldn't give me an answer as to why their mms messages are not considered text msg or even data! I was billed for some mms msg even though I have unlimited text and unlimited data. Go figure? This board is the true place to come to for "tech" support.
You talked to CC most likely. Next time ask for PDA, and try to lay off the insults to women.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: EAPPLE
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
MMS is not covered under the unlimited text and data package, it's a per-use charge and you were correctly billed if you used it. At $0.25 each it's a complete ripoff, just email the pic to your Flickr upload email address and skip MMS.
I don't know where you are getting your info from but surely is different from what I have (Tmo) as well as what they have in their web site.

Unsupported Browser

$.15/sms or mms

Taken from Tmo site

"Note: All our domestic messaging bundles include text, IM, picture, or video messages--the choice is up to you
Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
sgtcasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
Well, the initial install of the first software upgrade didn't work, so I tried to install it AGAIN, and it didn't work. After whiping with the magical jl_cmder then it finally did some good. Yeah I thought I wasn't getting signal too since my Host Routing Table was empty, even ran outside the cold of San Francisco at 4ish A.M. to make sure it wasn't he house I was in >.>... but I also made a call to see if the service was out which it wasn't, guess it doesn't take 2 reinstalls of the fresh batch but it just takes a good clean WHIPE :D
Yeah, I used JL_Cmder to wipe my device before loading .103 onto it so maybe that's why I didn't have any issues.

Dave
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
TheGreggers

PIN: 24708EAC

That's the difficulty on the data plan with BlackBerry.

MMS IS included on regular text messaging plans.. or rather TXT packages that are added onto an account with OUT BlackBerry data.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #16
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrain View Post
You talked to CC most likely. Next time ask for PDA, and try to lay off the insults to women.
when did i insult a woman?? i have a mom, sister and a gf..........all women. Why would i insult them?? Dont assume things. Its not good. Remember WMD's???!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
gringoenterprises
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 23F73F86

Quote:
when did i insult a woman?? i have a mom, sister and a gf..........all women. Why would i insult them?? Dont assume things. Its not good. Remember WMD's???!!!
"I talked to one of their "techs", it was a female, and you can just totally tell they have no tech knowledge off the top of their heads." I believe they were speaking of the above statement.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Also, to the OP, in the Bay Area there is no actual TMobile service. They roam on AT&T. That's normal. Most OS's will show TMobile on the home screen but under mobile network you will see AT&T. I see it whenever I am down there.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #19
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Also, to the OP, in the Bay Area there is no actual TMobile service. They roam on AT&T. That's normal. Most OS's will show TMobile on the home screen but under mobile network you will see AT&T. I see it whenever I am down there.
Not true. T-Mobile years ago did have a wireless network sharing joint venture with Cingular/AT&T in California & Nevada. In 2004, T-Mobile took over complete control of this network and now Cingular/AT&T is completing their migration away from this network to their own network. So in other words, if you have T-Mobile in the Bay Area, you are on T-Mobile's network.

2004 Press release:
T-Mobile USA to End Network Venture with Cingular and Acquire California/Nevada Network and Spectrum

Last edited by ski837547; 08-14-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski837547 View Post
Not true. T-Mobile years ago did have a wireless network sharing joint venture with Cingular/AT&T in California & Nevada. In 2004, T-Mobile took over complete control of this network and now Cingular/AT&T is completing their migration away this network to their own network.

2004 Press release:
T-Mobile USA to End Network Venture with Cingular and Acquire California/Nevada Network and Spectrum

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read that before. All I know is it always said Cingular when I go to the Bay area even though it says TMobile on the home screen. So, TMo just never changed it?
Closed Thread