Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #21
KamileonX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300R
PIN: Just Ask =)
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I had the 7290 for a while. Then got my Curve.

The wheel was awesome because it had a tactile "click" to it for every option, where the trackball doesn't. However, the ability to have horizontal and diagonal movement versus just up and down is a great feature.

I voted for the trackball because I truly like it better. But i miss that tactile "click".
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I'd actually like to have both of them, or have pushing in the ball act like pushing in the wheel did.

I'm pretty used to the ball now, and really like it, but the wheel was a good thing, too.
www.b5one.com
Old 08-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

As for the touchscreen, my buddy at work is trying to run Blackberry Connect on a Treo 750. He's having ALL KINDS of issues with freezing and crashes, on a level never before whitnessed even by other Treo owners. I keep telling him to drop that piece of garbage Treo like a bad habbit, but he persists. Having been a Treo owner myself I'm still mystified by their almost fanatical devotion to the Treo. I found myself wishing for no touchscreen and a Blackberry thumbwheel to replace it. Then it dawned on me: Duh! I just want a Blackberry. :D

Last edited by rambo47; 08-26-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I miss the "tactile feedback" of the wheel. The wheel is somewhat unpredictable and you got to stare at the screen to control the cursor. The trackwheel was 100% predictable. I remember I could use it while driving and hardley have to look at my screen.

I have got used to the trackball, it just took a while.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #25
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
As for the touchscreen, my buddy at work is trying to run Blackberry Connect on a Treo 750. He's having ALL KINDS of issues with freezing and crashes, on a level never before whitnessed even by other Treo owners. I keep telling him to drop that piece of garbage Treo like a bad habbit, but he persists. Having been a Treo owner myself I'm still mystified by their almost fanatical devotion to the Treo. I found myself wishing for no touchscreen and a Blackberry thumbwheel to replace it. Then it dawned on me: Duh! I just want a Blackberry. :D
Oddly enough, I find that my old Treo (think it's a 600? was on T-Mobile) with Palm OS is actually a very friendly and responsive UI, and I'm still finding the Windows Mobile version disappointing and buggy. Although they probably had to offer a WM version of the Treo, I think it was a better device with Palm. I had actually used my MDA with WM5 on it (and all sorts of UI enhancers / replacements) before coming to the BB (which I now love). I was frustrated and disappointed in WM. But when I fired up my old Treo again, I was amazed at how easy it was to navigate, and how well the touchscreen worked. Although I wouldn't give up my Curve now, I'm really beginning to think that it's not the Treo itself that's the problem: I think that WM actually compromised the platform...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #26
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Gomez View Post
Heck yes. The thumb-wheel on the right was simply the best way to interact with a phone I've ever used. It was so simple and fast, I really don't care for the trackball. The X/Y movement is a nice thing, but I really just don't like it.

I miss my 8700c.
agreed - the trackballs are nice, but not nearly as durable. since the pearl, after a month the trackball turns black, and after a few months it stops responding... the wheel would run forever no matter what you put it through... grease, lol! on the trackball? wont even consider using it with dirty hands, it just wont come clean like a trackwheel would.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #27
tankee531
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

took a while to get used to the trackball. Once used to, it was ok.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
tankee531

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Oddly enough, I find that my old Treo (think it's a 600? was on T-Mobile) with Palm OS is actually a very friendly and responsive UI, and I'm still finding the Windows Mobile version disappointing and buggy. Although they probably had to offer a WM version of the Treo, I think it was a better device with Palm. I had actually used my MDA with WM5 on it (and all sorts of UI enhancers / replacements) before coming to the BB (which I now love). I was frustrated and disappointed in WM. But when I fired up my old Treo again, I was amazed at how easy it was to navigate, and how well the touchscreen worked. Although I wouldn't give up my Curve now, I'm really beginning to think that it's not the Treo itself that's the problem: I think that WM actually compromised the platform...

likewise, when I played with BB Coonect on Treo for about 2 weeks, it did not crash on me
Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #29
Malkier

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Only down fall with the trackball is that my brickbreaker score has dropped a lot on the pearl, just keep over shooting past the ball
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #30
adp21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 252ED62D
Carrier: Starhub

Same story here - missed the wheel for first few weeks when I upgraded from my 8700 to the Curve - but am used to the ball now

Wheel or ball - not a deal breaker for me - what is a deal breaker is the stability of the OS and owning a convergence device (Curve is pretty darn close - needs ability to tweak docs, wi-fi plus the ability to access non-media data from the SD card and I would be 100% satisfied)

Maybe the next series (9xxx) will address these.....
Closed Thread