BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
ArtVandelay

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default 8703e Wheel Problems

Please Login to Remove!

When I got my 8703e, I attributed the stiffness in the wheel to its being new. Several months later, it's still stiff (and kind of loud).

I also had problems with the clicking action - when I'd highlight something and click, sometimes the wheel would move the selection to the next one down as I clicked. As a result, I'm very careful about how I click trying to press straight down without any scrolling, but it still happens. It's extremely annoying that every so often when I try to click "Reply To All" I end up clicking "Resend" - annoying to me and I'm sure annoying to the people who get my e-mails twice.

Does anyone else have these issues? Can the wheel be re-calibrated somehow? I can live with the stiffness, but the skipping is becoming a showstopper.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

That's just something you have to get used to on the trackwheel models. If you think it's too stiff, then it might be a good idea to take it into the store and see what they think and maybe get the device exchanged. I sometimes skipped to the next menu item using the trackwheel and even occasionaly do it on the trackball too.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
bjc

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

I've got an 8703e and the trackwheel drove me crazy. I complained to my carrier about that and the sound quality and was given a replacement. The sound quality is now better but the trackwheel is worse. This one has more of a distinct click when rolled, but the thing more frequently jumps down when pressed. I was able to get the old unit to work most of the time by pushing the bottom of the wheel but that doesn't seem to help now. That silly little wheel is so important in these devices that you would think it would be more reliable,,, or maybe I'm just having bad luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
dc2loco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: telus

Ive gotten use to the track wheel, It was a pain,
But mines not loud you might want to go get that checked out.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc View Post
I've got an 8703e and the trackwheel drove me crazy. I complained to my carrier about that and the sound quality and was given a replacement. The sound quality is now better but the trackwheel is worse. This one has more of a distinct click when rolled, but the thing more frequently jumps down when pressed. I was able to get the old unit to work most of the time by pushing the bottom of the wheel but that doesn't seem to help now. That silly little wheel is so important in these devices that you would think it would be more reliable,,, or maybe I'm just having bad luck.
Looks like you got one just like mine. I got in touch with Verizon Wireless but they want me to go to one of their store. The nearest one to me typically has over an hour wait on the tech support line (even when the store first opens in the morning) so I need a free afternoon to bring the thing in.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
SCODonnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: the_tail_on_the_donkey
Carrier: Sprint
Lightbulb Alternative to pressing the wheel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
when I'd highlight something and click, sometimes the wheel would move the selection to the next one down as I clicked. As a result, I'm very careful about how I click trying to press straight down without any scrolling, but it still happens.
Instead of pressing the wheel to make your selection, once you have the item highlighted, you can simply press the Enter key

I've got an 8703e also, but I'm sure it would work on any BB model.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
bjc

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCODonnell View Post
Instead of pressing the wheel to make your selection, once you have the item highlighted, you can simply press the Enter key

That does work sometimes. That's how I got around the darn thing rolling to 'dismiss' when I was trying to answer a call.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCODonnell View Post

Thanks for the tip. I hate taking my thumb off the wheel if I don't have to, but this may just be the solution until my "New Every 2" comes up again next September.
Closed Thread