Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default T-Mobile 8320 and GPS...

Please Login to Remove!

This looks like the right combo... H@H wifi calling is really slick, but I wish it had GPS. Is there a "definitive" add-on solution for GPS on this phone that everyone seems to like? I'm interested in Garmin-like nav functionality (heck, maybe I just need to get over it and get a Garmin!)

Also, does it break the T-Mobile contract (thru Amazon, etc.) if I switch from a single to family plan later and/or port a Sprint number to the phone later?

TIA!

p.s. If it (8320) doesn't have GPS, what is "Blackberry Maps?"

Last edited by whdigital; 10-03-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

I cant answer for the gps solution, but as for the switching of plans, you can always switch plans...they'll most likely have you extend your two years from the plan change date, which can be bad if you change your plan midway through your original contract.

Porting a number should have no change on your contract.

I am getting the 8320 from amazon and they dont have the minutes and mail plan I want thats on tmo's website and used to be on my old bb...so when I get the phone I'm just going to call and switch the plan...I think the only restriction you may actually ever have on changing rate plans is that, for some 3rd party retailers to give you a phone really cheap (like amazon) you need to maintain a minimum monthly charge (such as $39.99)...if you dont, then they may consider you in violation of the contract and charge you, most likely for the amount of the phone that was subsidized.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
This looks like the right combo... H@H wifi calling is really slick, but I wish it had GPS. Is there a "definitive" add-on solution for GPS on this phone that everyone seems to like? I'm interested in Garmin-like nav functionality (heck, maybe I just need to get over it and get a Garmin!)

Also, does it break the T-Mobile contract (thru Amazon, etc.) if I switch from a single to family plan later and/or port a Sprint number to the phone later?

TIA!

p.s. If it (8320) doesn't have GPS, what is "Blackberry Maps?"
I am using a Freedom Keychain (mini) GPS with my 8320 and it works fine. I use it with Telenav, Google Maps and BBMaps.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
rjdoc74
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-mobile

Hi John,

I know the issue has been discussed multiple times, but I am trying to make a decision. I have Freedom GPS as well and my unit does not work well at all with 8320. It only occasionally pairs with BB and when it does it takes a long while to get a satellite lock; sometines BB maps just hangs on "Searching for satellites...". Is there anything I can do to improve performance? I know BB software update may help, but when is that going to happen? I am thinking about puting my Freedom reciever on ebay.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Make sure that in device properties you have trusted set to yes and encryption disabled. That seems to help some.

Also, when I have an issue I usually turn the puck off, and turn bluetooth off on the BB. Then turn bluetooth back on and the puck back on. When the lights on the puck show a satellite connection then I try going back into my map application and it usually works then.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
rjdoc74

Thanks,

I'll try this on the way home.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
rjdoc74

John, YOU THE MAN!

I downloaded Mapquest navigator, did what you said, and the puck stayed connected all the way home!!! BTW, Mapquest ROCKS! Voice turn by turn prompts, re-routing and it's free! I hope that 30 day trial is not real.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask
Carrier: Verizon

i tried getting the mapquest navigator, it said itwasnt available...curioustoknow how you got it

nevermind, selected sprint and 8703e got the link, downloaded and installed

now if that gps puck had arrived

7105t, 8320, 9530, 9550, Now Thunderbolt BES Admin, LAN Admin, CAD Manager
wished i had invested in rim stock when it was $5

Last edited by quattrocs; 10-03-2007 at 11:58 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I am deciding between the Holux GPSlim 240 and the Freedom mini.

Here's a question to the users of the Freedom mini, if it is plugged into your PC via USB, does your computer try to recognize it or add a serial port to your device manager on your PC?

The holux can be hooked to a PC via USB to do it's task and I'm wondering if I can do the same with the mini. This would be a nice feature and would probably tip the scales for the Holux considering it's also at least $30 less then the freedom mini

Thanks to anyone with input on this.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
I am deciding between the Holux GPSlim 240 and the Freedom mini.

Here's a question to the users of the Freedom mini, if it is plugged into your PC via USB, does your computer try to recognize it or add a serial port to your device manager on your PC?

The holux can be hooked to a PC via USB to do it's task and I'm wondering if I can do the same with the mini. This would be a nice feature and would probably tip the scales for the Holux considering it's also at least $30 less then the freedom mini

Thanks to anyone with input on this.
Keep in mind that you need a special USB cable for the Holux. Standard mini USB will work only for charging, not for data transfer.

Connectivity over Bluetooth works great it you have a dongle or embedded BT. That way you can use your puck with either your 8320 or your laptop.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Good catch, I didn't notice that till I went over the manual a second time and read the section pertaining to the USB data output. I was mislead by the cable being shown on the next page, I think it is an optional accessory for it that crosses the correct pins for you.

I actually wanted this for laptops without bluetooth in them, even though my main laptop does have it.

I think I'll have to drop this from being a deciding factor. And then I'll probably go with the freedom mini as it's casing looks like it will stand the test of time with my keys better and I like how it seals up.

Anyone had one of these things go through the wash yet? Hehe
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
neuor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: By Request
Carrier: Sprint

I have the QSTARZ BT-Q816 and absolutely love it. I can use it with my laptop or 8320. It obtains a satellite lock faster than any GPS I've used. Also the battery life is pretty impressive as well, ~25 hours. I was impressed with the fact that it uses mini-usb to charge as well.
http://garrettkelley.com
Closed Thread