Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
traveler20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Exclamation Disappearing Message Icons On 8703e

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else experiencing this on a regular basis? It's been happening to me almost every day. Most often my two main email accounts disappear (out of 6 total), then return by themselves. Today three different email account icons disappeared. When the icons vanish, the message folder is inaccessable, however the emails from those accounts are still visable in the messages app. However, it is impossible to respond to any messages using that account through the messages app, so for all intents and purposes the email accounts are non-functioning. Re-sending the service books doesn't help, and rebooting the device appears to make different accounts disappear.

A couple of weeks ago, Verizon Wireless told me (confirmed in email) that this was a problem for BES subscribers with more than four email accounts (I don't have BES service), and that RIM knew about it affecting internet-only customers, and was working on it. In a follow-up call with RIM, they denied there was ever a problem, so I forwarded the VZW email to them and told them to fix it or replace my device. They've done neither, which is what I expected. A web search surfaced complaints about this problem going back at least to February of this year, so it's certainly not something new.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
wharrell

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

I have had this problem with my Verizon 8703e continually since July when I purchased the device.

The only way I can ever get them to come back is to take the battery out and reboot. It does not always work on first try though. Sometimes it takes several reboots from them to all return. Sometimes a few will return, then a few minutes later, a few more will..

Once I get them back, they will stick until my device reboots again, either manually or do to an OS fault causing the device to reboot.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
traveler20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharrell View Post
I have had this problem with my Verizon 8703e continually since July when I purchased the device.

The only way I can ever get them to come back is to take the battery out and reboot. It does not always work on first try though. Sometimes it takes several reboots from them to all return. Sometimes a few will return, then a few minutes later, a few more will..

Once I get them back, they will stick until my device reboots again, either manually or do to an OS fault causing the device to reboot.
Spoke with RIM again today about the problem and their recommendation is to wipe and reload the device. Previously I wiped and restored a backup to swap 8703e’s, after solving a time sync problem. This time, rather than restoring a backup, it will be to reload fresh copies of everything (including the phonebook, calendar, and memo items). There’s some logic to it, since something corrupted would not be fixed with a simple reload from backup. Have to do that in the evening, so it might take a day or two to complete. I’ll let you know how I make out.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
wharrell

Model: 8703

Good luck with the restore.

I have a feeling they are just giving a canned response. My device did this from day one.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
traveler20

Quote:

I have a feeling they are just giving a canned response. My device did this from day one.
This is what Verizon Wireless had to say about it the first time I contacted them:

"I spoke with RIM after we ended our call and found out some information for you. RIM is currently going through an update with their BIS 2.4 upgrade. With this upgrade it has a known glitch with more than 4 integrated email accounts. The glitch is the exact same issue you have been experiencing where the email will still show up on the device but the icons disappear. Right now they are working on a fix for this glitch but they do not have an estimated time of resolution. They are definitely working on it because they are receiving calls with the same exact issue that you are having."

When I spoke with RIM and Verizon Wireless about this issue a few days ago RIM denied there was ever an issue with BIS, so I might be making some progress.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
traveler20

Exclamation

Quote:

Actually, you're right. They are. Just got off the phone with RIM and after they gave me the wrong instructions on how to wipe and reload the device, the RIM support person said it's a known problem for which they have no solution. When we got the device reloaded, all email accounts were missing. Got the server activation messages in the messages folder, but "unknown" as the source. Service books didn't get to the device. I resent them an hour later and four accounts came back, a different two were missing. Popped out the battery and two different accounts were missing.

This is getting to look real ugly, since RIM and every other carrier selling this device, has advertised it as supporting up to 10 email accounts. The reality, is that it won't support more than four, fewer than the competing PDA/smartphones.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

we run 20 8703e on VZW and we havent had one issue like this at all I went and looked at all the tickets just to make sure.

I have had mine for couple months now and never once had any issues
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
traveler20

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
we run 20 8703e on VZW and we havent had one issue like this at all I went and looked at all the tickets just to make sure.

I have had mine for couple months now and never once had any issues
How many internet email accounts do you have configured on your devices? This particular bug only affects subscribers with more than four email accounts configured, and RIM has no solution for the problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
dblackburn

Default 8703 - same problem

a friend of mine has an 8703 which is losing icons - mail but more often than not SMS. She has to swap themes to get them back or yank the battery. This is happening multiple times a day.

She is verizon customer - 8703 - latest OS - BIS not BES - with only three email accounts..
Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler20 View Post
How many internet email accounts do you have configured on your devices? This particular bug only affects subscribers with more than four email accounts configured, and RIM has no solution for the problem.
I have five accounts configured to mine. I cant speak for the others.
Closed Thread