BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #41
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Really, anyone who thinks taking a phone that doesn't belong to you should just read this: How NOT to steal a SideKick II
It's long yes, but if you need some incentive other than being a decent human being this should be it.

And just remember: what goes around, comes around.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #42
AuriemmaPhoto

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Nice 1st post!
Thanks.

Rule of thumb: Before making a judgement that affects someone else, put yourself in their shoes first. Then decide.

I just thought "How would I feel if I lost my BB?".
Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #43
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Sorta the Golden Rule, eh?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #44
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Can we lock this thread yet?
I think this horse has been beaten way beyond death at this point.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #45
ExGMan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
Interesting discussion. Two contacts in the address book? Huh? I have over 1,000.

In my experience, I've found that there are two basic kinds of people in this world; good and bad.

I've actually found 2 phones in the last 3 years. Three years ago, I found one laying in the road. I picked it up, put it in my pocket (riding my bike), and then when I got home, figured out how to get into the address book, called someone, and made arrangements for the owner to pick the phone up.

Second case was about 6 months ago, when I found a BLACKBERRY. This was before I pretty much even knew what one was. It was at work, I managed to figure out the company that it belonged to from the info I could see on the screen, and got it back to them.

NEVER thought twice about this being "found treasure," so I hope this makes me a decent person. You know what they say; what goes around comes around.

On the other hand, I LOST my cell phone about 3 years ago. Must have broken off the clip I was using. Once I figured out where I lost it, I went back looking for it, without luck. "Gee, it would be nice if someone returned the favor and returned MY phone." About three hours lapsed from the time I lost my phone until I called AT&T to have it shut off.

When I got my bill, it turns out that whoever found it had IMMEDIATELY starting making international calls (Mexico) non-stop until my service was shut off. AT&T credited all those calls, but it's a pretty sad state of affairs when people do something like that.

So, in my book, you're either good or bad.

Good = return phone or attempt to return phone.
Bad = How do I take advantage of this and keep my new toy?
I had the same situation when I lost a cellphone. I got the 'phone shutdown within one hour, but the finder (as in your case) started making calls all over the US. I got the list and started calling all of those folks up and identified the thief. I couldn't get him arrested but he lost his job at the rental car place where I'd dropped the phone.

Also...regarding a BB, isn't the PIN a unique identifier of the instrument to that the owner could be found that way, or, alternatively, the instrument's use in either BIS or BES could be curtailed?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #46
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yes, the PIN could be used to trace to the owner IF the finder calls the current carrier the device is registered with and reports it. The glitch would be if the device is no longer on the carrier to which it is branded, then the finder will not know (or care) to put the effort out.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #47
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

i found a dash a couple of months ago at my local gas station while i was working. i told my coworker and she said "sell it to me" i said no and that i would find the owner (i was having a bad day at work and wanted to do something good) i took it to my friend at sprint who charged the phone for me. i told him i was going to go to tmobile to see if they could help find the owner. my friend told me whatever you do dont leave the phone! i talked to one of the reps and he said leave the phone they would make sure to find the owner, instead i left my information and told them to call me when they find him/her. never got a call from them... so what i did was answer the first call. turned out to be the guys "crazy" best friend david. thats what the ex-girlfriend told me. i met the mom, soon to be new girlfriend, crazy friend, cool ex-girlfriend. i found out a lot abuot this guy. riding a harley from arizona to oregon. visiting friends in san diego, business in pasadena. mom told me he was 24 just graduated from school, first time him leaving home like this. i found out everything. i also found out that 4 days after i returned the phone ups had a $100 check for me. the mom it was thoughtful of me to return her sons phone that she wrote me a $100 check. didnt ask for it, didn't expect it just got it!

return the phone!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #48
walex

Model: 7100T
Carrier: blackberry

Hi!
I found a blackberry on the slopes in Swityerland... Itīs got an english vodafone card, and swisscom (national phone company) canīt help me to find the owner. The sim card has nothing on it and the blackberry is locked. How could i find the owner?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #49
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

you probably wont to be honest.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #50
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Wirelessly posted

Try sending an email to Vodaphone or calling them. You could also take it in to a retail location.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #51
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

If it is still functional (must be as your stated it's locked) leave it and keep it charged. Depending on how it is locked it should allow you to receive a call and someone will eventually call it....and if it hasn't gotten any calls in a week them someone has written it off.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #52
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I was looking in the trash for tin cans the other day and found and iPhone.... I moved it out of the way so I get to the cans that were under it....
Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #53
walex

Model: 7100T
Carrier: blackberry

it actually layed in the snow.. i was sledding down the hill but the slopes were closed since a month. i was able to recharge the battery with the carīs gps wire..

Itīs difficult to go to a store because we donīt have vodafone in swityerland... and sine itīs been a while since the guy lost it he locked the sim i think.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #54
nathanotis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

I'm impressed by the number of posts here saying they've found a lost phone... Any one think it'd be worthwhile to have a "Lost & Found" forum on this site?
Closed Thread