Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
perlfather
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default 3 Gmail options - pros and cons and issues with one way reconciliation

Please Login to Remove!

3 Gmail options - pros and cons and issues with one way reconciliation

Using my 8300 with BIS and AT&T I have access to Gmail running in three different way/folders:
1. as Gmail program - positive: great looks and perfect reconciliation with desktop, negative: no announcement that a message has been received, it occasionally hangs up, no shortcut keys and there is no simple way to do a spell check for outgoing messages.
2. Under the folder labeled “Messages” – positive: automatic spell check, announcement of new messages, use of shortcut keys, negative: although I selected reconciliation on menu>options>email reconciliation (see below), the messages do not show as being read or deleted when they are deleted on the desktop (or in the GMAIL program). On the other hand if I delete a message in this folder it gets deleted on the desktop (and Gmail program).
3. as a separate folder called [email address] this one reconciles with the general “Messages” folder, and has the same characteristics of the general “Message” folder it also (obviously) does not reconcile with the GMAIL account.

So my question is why can’t I get the read message function to reconcile. Is there something on the Gmail desktop settings that I have to set?

My email Reconciliation settings are:
Delete on: mailbox and Handheld
Wireless reconcile: on
On conflicts: Mailbox wins

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlfather View Post
So my question is why canxxx8217;t I get the read message function to reconcile. Is there something on the Gmail desktop settings that I have to set?
GMail currently doesn't support read/unread mark reconciliation.
Yahoo does, but GMail doesn't.
There's nothing you need to change on your end. It's something Google needs to work out with RIM.

Deletes from GMail do reconcile back to the handheld... however it takes a LONG time. Hours.
Deletes from handheld reconcile back to GMail almost immediately.

Last edited by penguin3107; 10-03-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
jenfavre

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Deletes from GMail do reconcile back to the handheld... however it takes a LONG time. Hours.
Deletes from handheld reconcile back to GMail almost immediately.
I would like it if when I delete an email from my GMail inbox (on my laptop) the message is also deleted from my 8320's messages folder. Is this what you're saying does work but takes hours? Because I've never seen it work that way, though I sure would like it if it did!

However, I do not want emails I delete from the handheld to be removed from my GMail inbox. Is there a way to have one without the other? My current reconciliation settings are:

Delete On: Handheld
Wireless Reconcile: On
On Conflicts: Mailbox wins

Last edited by jenfavre; 11-07-2007 at 05:05 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

That is the correct setting for what you state you wish to achieve!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
jenfavre

It seems to be correct for not deleting emails from my GMail inbox that I've deleted from the handheld, but I'm still not seeing emails I've deleted from my GMail inbox being deleted from the handheld. I have to go in and delete those manually from the messages folder throughout the day. I'd love it if it would happen automatically.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
jenfavre

My mistake. It seems my deleted emails (from the web application) do in fact get deleted from the handheld.... eventually. penguin3107 is right though, it takes hours. I was confusing "deleting" with "archiving." The archived emails still remain in the blackberry's messages folder. I guess I will continue to remove those manually.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE
Cool Integrated yahoomail with gmail on the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
GMail currently doesn't support read/unread mark reconciliation. Yahoo does, but GMail doesn't.
i am with penguin3107 about yahoomail being able to do one way sync (not gmail); what i did was i only had to integrate my yahoomail on BIS and i get emails pushed to my BB from all my other 7 addresses --- i set up gmail to fetch emails from my other accounts and i also had it forward all emails to my yahoomail.. the only drawback here though is that when you reply on your BB, it'll only do it as if you replied from yahoo.. at least for me, i don't have issues with gmail
Closed Thread