BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
hurstnicholas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: o2 UK
Default UK Blackberry Repair Nightmares. What to do?

Please Login to Remove!

Does anybody know the correct procedure for having a faulty Blackberry Pearl, running on the O2 metwork, supplied and insured by Carphone Warehouse (CPW) and within its warranty period, repaired?

I am now entering week 3 of a nightmare that nobody (RIM, CPW, O2 or the official repairer) is able, or willing, to resolve)?

About two months after I bought the 'phone, the usb socket developed a fault. CPW passed me on to their official BB repairers (OBBR), whom I sent the 'phone to and CPW lent me a basic Nikia handset.The OBBR promised a 7 day turnaround.

A week or so later, I 'phoned the OBBR and they told me that they had not even started the repair, because they required a "RMA" number from RIM and RIM had failed to issue them with one.

I called CPW with this info (who I pay a fortune in insurance premiums to) and they told me “nothing to do with us….. call RIM”.

I then called RIM in Canada, at considerable personal expense. RIM told me “nothing to do with us….. call O2” and emailed me to similar effect.

I then called O2 and they told me “nothing to do with us….. call CPW”.

I then spent more than three hours on the 'phone to CPW's premium rate lines. No two individuals (let alone departments) could agree on what I had to do. I was, for instance, advised to:

1. Speak to different departments within CPW (I spoke to everyone, probably including the canteen!)

2. Tell the OBBR to return the handset to me, for me to take to a CPW store, for CPW's engineers, to repair in-house;

3. Speak again to RIM in Canada and ask them what CPW should do;

4. Speak to RIM in Canada and demand a replacement handset that CPW “thought I might be entitled to”;

5. Speak to O2 because it was nothing to do with CPW;

6. Tell the OBBR to return the handset to me, for me to take it back again to a CPW store, so they could log it in (again) as faulty so I could return it (again) to the OBBR;

7. stop calling CPW about this problem, because it was nothing to do with them.

In short, NOBODY in the UK knows the procedure for fixing my BB under warranty.

Indeed, several different parties within Carphone Warehouse have claimed that “CPW does not have any procedures for repairing RIM products” and that “CPW has no experience of ever having had a RIM product go faulty before in all the years we have sold them”

Since then, despite having assured me that they do not issue them to OBBRs, RIM have now issued a RMA - but it was either expired or invalid, so I am right back to square one.

Does anybody know what I should be doing next? To be frank, my preference would be to firebomb RIM, CPW, O2 and the OBBR, but I suspect that might delay my ever having a working BB again, even further.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
dbug
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstnicholas View Post
Does anybody know the correct procedure for having a faulty Blackberry Pearl, running on the O2 metwork, supplied and insured by Carphone Warehouse (CPW) and within its warranty period, repaired?

I am now entering week 3 of a nightmare that nobody (RIM, CPW, O2 or the official repairer) is able, or willing, to resolve)?

About two months after I bought the 'phone, the usb socket developed a fault. CPW passed me on to their official BB repairers (OBBR), whom I sent the 'phone to and CPW lent me a basic Nikia handset.The OBBR promised a 7 day turnaround.

A week or so later, I 'phoned the OBBR and they told me that they had not even started the repair, because they required a "RMA" number from RIM and RIM had failed to issue them with one.

I called CPW with this info (who I pay a fortune in insurance premiums to) and they told me “nothing to do with us….. call RIM”.

I then called RIM in Canada, at considerable personal expense. RIM told me “nothing to do with us….. call O2” and emailed me to similar effect.

I then spent more than three hours on the 'phone to CPW's premium rate lines. No two individuals (let alone departments) could agree on what I had to do. I was, for instance, advised to:

1. Speak to different departments within CPW (I spoke to everyone, probably including the canteen!)

2. Tell the OBBR to return the handset to me, for me to take to a CPW store, for CPW's engineers, to repair in-house;

4. Speak to RIM in Canada and demand a replacement handset that CPW “thought I might be entitled to”;

6. Tell the OBBR to return the handset to me, for me to take it back again to a CPW store, so they could log it in (again) as faulty so I could return it (again) to the OBBR;

Indeed, several different parties within Carphone Warehouse have claimed that “CPW does not have any procedures for repairing RIM products” and that “CPW has no experience of ever having had a RIM product go faulty before in all the years we have sold them”

Since then, despite having assured me that they do not issue them to OBBRs, RIM have now issued a RMA - but it was either expired or invalid, so I am right back to square one.

Does anybody know what I should be doing next? To be frank, my preference would be to firebomb RIM, CPW, O2 and the OBBR, but I suspect that might delay my ever having a working BB again, even further.

You have a contract with Carphone warehouse - no-one else. They are fully responsible. If they dont have the means or procedures to repair a phone they sell then they shouldnt be selling it. throw the phone back at them (not literally) & get direct from O2. i had a repair problem & o2 fixed it straight away no problem
Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
hurstnicholas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: o2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbug View Post
You have a contract with Carphone warehouse - no-one else. They are fully responsible. If they dont have the means or procedures to repair a phone they sell then they shouldnt be selling it. throw the phone back at them (not literally) & get direct from O2. i had a repair problem & o2 fixed it straight away no problem
My thoughts exactly - unfortunately, throwing the phone back at them doesn't get it fixed, when one is daft enough to deal with CPW.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
inath

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

I am having similar problem. CPW asked me to send down the phone to SDE, who in turn sent it back saying they reair only O2 Blackberries.

Totally lost what to do now? Could you solve yours. What is OBBR
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
grandad

Model: 8300
Carrier: Orange UK

Not with Blackberry but with CPW problems I have always got results by emailing the owner, Charles Dunstone direct - [email address]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
hpka

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2 UK
Arrow Same trouble

Hey folks,

I'm getting messed around by CPW as well, still trying thier leads but hearing concerned by negative stories.

I was wondering, have you found out where to get a resolution to this?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
balooberry

Carrier: o2

deal with o2, direct, o2 also do a nice insurance package for phones, so if you damage or lose your phone youe can make a insurance claim and pay the excess usualy around £25 and then if they have the phone in stock, they will send it out next day delivery.

I work at o2, but not in the mobile departement, but i have heard that if you buy a phone from carephone ware house, you deal with them for everything, il find out for definite tomrrow when im at work what the procedure is.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I bought a 8300 from CPW against my contrcat already with T-Mobile direct. Point is, CPW said if it needs repair under warrantly, they send it back to RIM (or RIM's subcontractor, I guess) who actually do the repair for CPW. Turnaround is ~ 4 weeks though, by the time it ripples through CPW's warehouse etc.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
mayor

Model: 8100
Carrier: o2 - uk

Well i got my 8100 from O2 DIRECT as a business customer and i am getting the SAME run around ... even after seeing adverts from o2 that they will replace a phone in 24hours !! ..... i called o2 and they said YES WE DO, BUT NOT FOR THE BB

they diverted me to their warranty repair centre for BB tel 0871 200 3198.... they said that the problem that i had was an out of warranty repair... it was simply the back cover of my 8100 which does NOT stay in place.

they referred me to RIM direct on 0808 100 7466 ( diverts to Canada)... who then sent me back to O2 in the UK !!!

the reason why the back of the phone is "worn" i because i was always told that by taking the sim AND battery out will resolve MOST problems with teh 8100.... hence i had to do this OFTEN and hence the back is worn !...i was ADVISED by o2 TECH HELP to do this.... so its a bit of a catch 22.

The phone is not fit for the purpose if i can not hold my battery in place in order to make a call.... i will refer to TRADING standards if this is not resolved by o2 as quite simply my contract is with o2 and not RIM.

Basic rule is that you need to deal directly with the person with whom you made the contract with it in your case its CPW.... don't let them push you around.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
anar_baku

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstnicholas View Post

The CarphoneWarehouse BlackBerry repair centre number is 0870 0878031, try that.
Closed Thread