Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation BlackBerrys with slide-out keyboard, swivel keypads reported on way

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerrys with slide-out keyboard, swivel keypads reported on way | The BlackBerry Beat | ZDNet.com
Old 12-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

No thanks. One of the things I really like about the BB platform is the lack of moving parts and relatively solid feel. Please leave out the hinges, swivels and slide rails.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

You knew something like this was coming. I don't know if I would like the slide out keyboard, but I guess its better then no keyboard. Progress, I guess.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I concur 100 %
Old 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
No thanks. One of the things I really like about the BB platform is the lack of moving parts and relatively solid feel. Please leave out the hinges, swivels and slide rails.
I would take the above report with a grain of salt. More to come in an article I wrote, as the original source that's spreading like a slow wildfire is absolutely redonculous.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
zparcell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think its interesting. As much praise as the iPhone has had, they keyboard is a major drawback. I wouldnt mind a slideout keyboard with full QWERTY and a touch screen...its something new!

Currently: 8700g
Former: 7105t
Old 12-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I am a BB Adict and absoltely love my curve. I went over to ATT today because I like to keep up with the market. I spent 20 minutes with the IPHONE and I must admit, it is one fantastic device as far as conceot is cincerned. I absolutely loved the touch screen qwerty and oddly I found it faster and easier to type on than my curve. I truly did not expect this and almost called the store rep a liar when he made this claim. I will tell you, if the keys on the IPHONE were just a tad bit larger, it would have blown the curve qwerty away.

I did not like the volume on the IPHONe as far as speakerphone is concerned. But I have to admit that the IPHONE conceptwise is setting the mark and RIM and other manufacturers are going to have to do something to stay current.

Before I am flamed, remember I love my curve and I know that overall the IPHONe pales in comparison. But from a concept standpoint I found the IPHONE magnificent.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
I am a BB Adict and absoltely love my curve. I went over to ATT today because I like to keep up with the market. I spent 20 minutes with the IPHONE and I must admit, it is one fantastic device as far as conceot is cincerned. I absolutely loved the touch screen qwerty and oddly I found it faster and easier to type on than my curve. I truly did not expect this and almost called the store rep a liar when he made this claim. I will tell you, if the keys on the IPHONE were just a tad bit larger, it would have blown the curve qwerty away.

I did not like the volume on the IPHONe as far as speakerphone is concerned. But I have to admit that the IPHONE conceptwise is setting the mark and RIM and other manufacturers are going to have to do something to stay current.

Before I am flamed, remember I love my curve and I know that overall the IPHONe pales in comparison. But from a concept standpoint I found the IPHONE magnificent.
A few of my friends have iphones. The keyboard is definitely the weakness. Other then that, the iphone is a dream to use. I would have to use the phone myself for a few days to see if it is better then my BB, but first impressions are I probably would.
That aside, I could never have the iphone as I can't stand ATT.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
A few of my friends have iphones. The keyboard is definitely the weakness. Other then that, the iphone is a dream to use. I would have to use the phone myself for a few days to see if it is better then my BB, but first impressions are I probably would.
That aside, I could never have the iphone as I can't stand ATT.
Argon:

I am glad someone agreed with me because I was embarassed to admit how wonderful I found the IPHONE. I had been reading the wars on this forum between the IPHONE and RIM products and elected to stay above the fray. I went into ATT hoping to hate the IPHONE. But my experience was marvelous. Technological wonder. The construction was superb.

I hated the low call volume.

I was amazed that I actualy could type faster in minutes on the IPHONE than my curve with a dedicated keypay.

Also the touchscreen dial screen was fabulous. Absolutely blew the tiney dial keys on my curve away.

All that said, I will stick with my curve. But you better believe when the 9000 series comes out with a touchscreen comes out I will be all over it. I am just worried about RIM maintaining quality control. There are some structural deficiencies with the curve that I hope do not exist with the touchscreen rendition. If quality control is not maintained we are looking at a disaster. No matterr what we think about the IPHONE it is masterfully constructed
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

If the 9000 was designed well and did not have a flimsy feel like the other PDAs that have sliding keyboards, I would be interested. RIM would had to really improve on the iPhone virtual keyboard to win me over. I used a iPhone for about 5 days and the current keyboard would be very painful for me to use with my workload. Iphone is very nice but the keyboard sux.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Argon:

I am glad someone agreed with me because I was embarassed to admit how wonderful I found the IPHONE. I had been reading the wars on this forum between the IPHONE and RIM products and elected to stay above the fray. I went into ATT hoping to hate the IPHONE. But my experience was marvelous. Technological wonder. The construction was superb.

I was amazed that I actualy could type faster in minutes on the IPHONE than my curve with a dedicated keypay.

Also the touchscreen dial screen was fabulous. Absolutely blew the tiney dial keys on my curve away.

All that said, I will stick with my curve. But you better believe when the 9000 series comes out with a touchscreen comes out I will be all over it. I am just worried about RIM maintaining quality control. There are some structural deficiencies with the curve that I hope do not exist with the touchscreen rendition. If quality control is not maintained we are looking at a disaster. No matterr what we think about the IPHONE it is masterfully constructed
I had the iPhone for a few months and loved it. But I went with a Curve because I needed functionality and dependability now. The keyboard was fine on the iPhone; it's not its weakest link to everyone. It had the ability to learn my typing style and adjust as needed to ensure I am hitting the right keys (predictive). It worked well. I find myself making similar mistakes on the Curve as I made on the iPhone (due smaller keyboard on Curve versus no tactile response on iPhone).

There were other issues with the iPhone that led me away from it. Missing or poorly implemented functions, for one. Dependability, or lack of it, for two. Promises of new features and regular updates only to be let down, each time (and they were getting further apart, it seemed).

Apple will do better next go round, I'm sure of that. We have to remember that this was Apple's first phone. As such, they did an absolutely amazing job, and they will be tough to beat if others don't move forward at a faster rate. Remember RIM's first phone? Or Motorola's? Remember the StarTac?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I had the iPhone for a few months and loved it. But I went with a Curve because I needed functionality and dependability now. The keyboard was fine on the iPhone; it's not its weakest link to everyone. It had the ability to learn my typing style and adjust as needed to ensure I am hitting the right keys (predictive). It worked well. I find myself making similar mistakes on the Curve as I made on the iPhone (due smaller keyboard on Curve versus no tactile response on iPhone).

There were other issues with the iPhone that led me away from it. Missing or poorly implemented functions, for one. Dependability, or lack of it, for two. Promises of new features and regular updates only to be let down, each time (and they were getting further apart, it seemed).

Apple will do better next go round, I'm sure of that. We have to remember that this was Apple's first phone. As such, they did an absolutely amazing job, and they will be tough to beat if others don't move forward at a faster rate. Remember RIM's first phone? Or Motorola's? Remember the StarTac?
eIan:

So well stated
Old 12-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks. The first part of next year looks to be an interesting time in phone/PDA development. I can't wait to see what's just around the corner.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
rumpole

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Argon:

All that said, I will stick with my curve. But you better believe when the 9000 series comes out with a touchscreen comes out I will be all over it. I am just worried about RIM maintaining quality control. There are some structural deficiencies with the curve that I hope do not exist with the touchscreen rendition. If quality control is not maintained we are looking at a disaster. No matter what we think about the IPHONE it is masterfully constructed
You mention some issues of quality control with the Curve. I've got an 8800 on the TMO network and am thinking of buying a Curve. Tell me the QC issues.
I've played with the Iphone and can't convince myself why I need one. It's a great toy, but Ive got an Ipod and a BB and can't see the need.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I currently have the 8800. I also bought a Tilt and was using BB Connect software on it for about three weeks. The slide out keypad isn't nearly as nice to use as the one on the 8800 (which isn't as nice as the 8700). It was awkward to use, the keys were mushy and it seemed to be less user friendly having to rotate and slide out the keypad. That wasn't the main reason I went back to the BB but it was a factor.

A friend let me use his iPhone for a few hours and I was very impressed. Apple really did a nice job with the build and UI. But I don't think, even if it was enterprise friendly, I would go with an Apple. The keypad was nice, but definately wouldn't be good for me unless speed/accuracy really improves with practice.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpole View Post
You mention some issues of quality control with the Curve. I've got an 8800 on the TMO network and am thinking of buying a Curve. Tell me the QC issues.
I've played with the Iphone and can't convince myself why I need one. It's a great toy, but Ive got an Ipod and a BB and can't see the need.
Rumpole:

Some have complained about dust getting under the screen, squeeky sides, misalignment of housing, etc. Just minor things that lead me to conclude that the curve is not constructed as well as the IPHONe, which I found to be a marvel from a construction standpoint. the feel of the IPHONe makes you feel that you have a high quality product in your hands. I get the same feeling about the curve when I am holding it by not to the same degree. I can truly see and feel the cost differential between the two phones just in holding the both of them.

But for software, usability and over functional issues, the curve blows the IPHONe away, if your use is from a business perspective like mines is.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

I have to agree. A good friend is all about web access. He used to own a side kick because he liked the browser on it. He switched to the iPhone specifically for the browser, which is indeed one of the core strengths of the product.

I myself depend on so many 3rd party applications, which in that regard alone rejects the iPhone. I like a tactile keyboard best as well.

Something else is wrong though. In sales, there is always this saying that you need to give someone the perception that they are getting something for less than it is truly worth. In other words, they are getting a great value.

The iPhone is nice. I'll concede that point any day of the week. But it is a good value? Well, there I have to say that though many feel it is, I feel the BlackBerry is the better value. Ultimately that's a personal reality and your sense of perfection may differ. Maybe the iPhone is the better phone for you. Maybe it isn't. Only you know the answer.

-Alex Alexzander
Old 12-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

I read somewhere that something like 33% of all BlackBerry owners are using it for non business consumer uses. And that these are the same kinds of people that want a great web experience, good music experience, and good video experience.

I understand about changing the form-factor to give users in this genre a better sense of cool, flashy, etc. But it has to have the applications that deliver on the ideals above. That means a better browser than what we currently have. Roxio's Media Manager is okay, but it's not the best tool for managing music, video, and photos. If you have used iTunes, or Zune Marketplace, you'll easily know what I am talking about.

If RIM is serious about going after these customers, then they need to first maintain what is already outstanding about the current RIM product, but in addition, they need to create great consumer experiences, which are equally important to non-business users.

Another way to view this is by looking at the email. Clearly RIM has email as a first class application. The music, photo, and video have to also feel like first class applications, not after-thoughts. Again, I'm saying they are horrible. Just saying they are not the focus of the product, and in going after consumers, they need to have equal focus.

Alex Alexzander
Old 12-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
rumpole

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Rumpole:

Some have complained about dust getting under the screen, squeeky sides, misalignment of housing, etc. Just minor things that lead me to conclude that the curve is not constructed as well as the IPHONe, which I found to be a marvel from a construction standpoint. the feel of the IPHONe makes you feel that you have a high quality product in your hands. I get the same feeling about the curve when I am holding it by not to the same degree. I can truly see and feel the cost differential between the two phones just in holding the both of them.

But for software, usability and over functional issues, the curve blows the IPHONe away, if your use is from a business perspective like mines is.
I think there are very few, if any, phones out there that can compare to the IPhone when it comes to industrial design and build quality. That's pretty much the hallmark of Apple products. How does the Curve compare in build quality to more recent BBs like the 8800 or Pearl?
Old 12-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hmmm, should be interesting to see new styles of Blackberry. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Closed Thread