Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Cleaning House

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I've had the Curve for about a day, and I've managed to accomplish a few things, such as installing Opera Mini (not sure yet how much I like it) and the Jivetalk trial (looks very good). And I have some email accounts set up, and a few other odds and ends.

The Application menu has a lot of stuff in it that appears to be just browser shortcuts. For example, there's a "t-zones" icon, but as far as I can tell that's just a way to open the browser to t-zones wap sites. I don't need that, since I can just bookmark them. There are also icons for Facebook and Handango Store download links. I know I can "hide" these icons, but isn't there also a way to just get rid of them? If so, I haven't found it yet.

Speaking of hiding icons, if an icon is hidden, such as BrickBreaker, is it possible to go to that application without unhiding the icon?

I'm thinking that since Jivetalk works so well, I don't need the IM clients that come pre-installed on the Curve. That actually raises a couple of questions:

1. If I delete them (or any other pre-installed stuff), is there a way to get them back, should the need arise?

2. The T-mobile CC guy said that the pre-installed IM clients on the Curve use data, not SMS units, and so are unlimited, but 3-party apps like Jivetalk might get billed as SMS. But he sounded a little squirrely about it, as if he were just trying to dissuade me from using 3rd-pary apps for some reason. Is there any reason why Jivetalk wouldn't just use my unlimited data plan with T-mobile?

In terms of freeing up memory, I don't think I have any use for voice commands, but I don't know how to remove it. It doesn't seem to show up as a separate item in Applications.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
ckinglam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

Hey buddy Welcome to BB

JiveTalk uses Data but not SMS. I've had it for quite a while and its one of the best out there.
As for cleaning up your BB, do a quick search around the forum and you will find procedures how to take out each app that you dont want....eg. I took out PTT as I am on ATT.

Enjoy!

Retired: 9700, 9000, 8310, 8300, 8100
Closed Thread